Evil Monster Ancestries - Yay or Nay?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
That could be a campaign, though. Someone is born with an evil rune as a birthmark, and becomes a pawn in a power struggle between evil cults and knights trying to prevent the apocalypse.
Sure, and that sounds like a lot of fun. The player could write "Neutral Evil" on their character sheet, add the evil rune to their backstory, and be off to the races. My point is that I don't care for settings where all creatures of a certain species are inherently evil with rare exception. I don't mind a setting where "this particular kobold is evil," the part I don't like is "all kobolds are evil."

I get what you are saying. I think you are saying something like, "I prefer to have all biological species be fundamentally similar in temperament and emotional framework to humans so as to avoid demonizing any sentient thing, because here back in the real world where we only have one sentient thing we've seen so much evil come out of people demonizing one another that I don't want to potentially be a part of that." And yes, I can totally understand that and that's a perfectly valid choice and go with it.
Well that, and it's just lazy storytelling. "If it's a goblin, it's automatically our enemy and we respond accordingly." I like to go a little deeper with my stories. In my campaign, goblins are no more or less evil than any other sentient humanoid. They're just angry hobbits with terrible manners (they throw a good party, tho.)

But on the other hand, ironically alignment and biology are definitely not things you can keep separate. I mean you probably can ignore biology's impact with anything that more or less shares a common origin and common level of being with humanity. If they are very humanlike in their biology and their creation, you can probably safely assume that they are just humans with a few differences and so their alignment or morality is likely to be similar.

But the more you get away from that, the more difficult that is to sustain.

Demons are distasteful in ways that are worse. It's reasonable to describe the above unwavering misogynist machine as a created silicon demon. It is defined by its behavior but behavior is defined by biology - where in a speculative fiction setting you are often required to have a very broad definition of biology because you have a very broad definition of life.

In a fantasy you will have all sorts of inhuman biologies which won't necessarily have choice and capacity for good or evil as a defining feature.
There is a difference between being "unlike humans" and "evil," though. Evil is a human ideal. For anything to be "evil," it has to at least be "human enough" to understand things like ambition, greed, vanity, and morality. When I start talking about things that are so alien and un-human that they don't/can't understand these concepts, or lack the free will to choose between doing the right thing and doing the wrong thing, I would say they are Unaligned.

Ahh... the good old True Neutral alignment. Nothing is itself evil except that zealotry doth make it so, and the virtue of right conduct is balance and moderation. Very popular view of the world; so popular in fact that it's the reason I stat out human inspired fantasy races as "Usually Neutral".
Same here. I even go a little more unorthodox--I only assign alignments to specific NPCs. All living creatures in my games are "Usually Neutral" unless a specific NPCs stat block says otherwise.

The only difference between an angel and a devil in my campaign, for example, is ideology: devils are fallen angels, the cultists who sided with Lucifer to overthrow Heaven, and failed. Devils chose evil, they weren't born into it.

I can agree without harming my claim. We can pick a lot of predispositions that have no moral virtue in and of themselves at all. This isn't surprising. I wouldn't be too surprised to find any predisposition that didn't predispose the creature to destructiveness had no impact on it's "evilness".

You said:
I get what you are saying. I think you are saying something like, "I prefer to have all biological species be fundamentally similar in temperament and emotional framework to humans so as to avoid demonizing any sentient thing, because here back in the real world where we only have one sentient thing we've seen so much evil come out of people demonizing one another that I don't want to potentially be a part of that." And yes, I can totally understand that and that's a perfectly valid choice and go with it.
And my point was the you can give species different temperament without giving them predisposition towards "good" or "evil." You now agree with this. Yes, we can imagine dispositions which might make the creatures ream more "evil" in some sense, but we also don't need to assign creatures such. Also, I don't think that things like "aggressiveness" is necessarily evil, especially in primitive pseudo-medieval world where vigilante justice is accepted way of doing things. Creatures can be easily angered by injustices, and act aggressive towards tyrants, slavers etc.

That claim isn't logical. There are lots of things people don't agree on. Mere disagreement doesn't result in lack of meaning. As Einstein said, "Why does it matter if 100 people think I'm wrong. If I were wrong, one would have been enough." (paraphrasing from memory)
We are not talking about anything objective and measurable, we are talking about a social construct. And the purpose of this construct is to communicate morals of the fictional setting. That people who play these games cannot agree what it means is a clear indication that this tool is not fit for the purpose.

That sounds subjective to me.
Certainly.

The basis of that subjectiveness is interesting. You seem to be claiming that good and evil are subjective and also that if your subjective morality is violated in a work of fiction that that is objectively bad.
No, I am not. I am claiming that objective morals tends to produce boring fiction.

No, it only shows your definition is incoherent.
If being destructive without being able to make moral choices about it is evil, how are natural disasters not evil?

For something you claim not to define you are sure making a lot of statements about its nature.
Perhaps. I am not saing that we cannot try to define morals, or discuss them. We certainly can. But in fiction exploring morals is interesting, and objective morals get in the way of it. I don't want there to be Gygax given correct answers to moral questions, I want the players to be freely able to make up their own mind what good and evil means to them. Having in-character ethical debate produces far more engaging fiction than casting "detect evil" ever does.

velkymx

Explorer
I wonder why you have so much invested in subject morals in a game with defined terms (and alignment). If the lore states that evil exists and that the race is driven by evil, as are the Drow, then why do you feel the need to justify your position based on the real world? It's a game after all. Is it that you personally struggle with your internal morality, and feel that you might be seen as evil or outside the norms, and have to bring that justification into a fantasy game to ruin it for everyone else?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I wonder why you have so much invested in subject morals in a game with defined terms (and alignment). If the lore states that evil exists and that the race is driven by evil, as are the Drow, then why do you feel the need to justify your position based on the real world? It's a game after all. Is it that you personally struggle with your internal morality, and feel that you might be seen as evil or outside the norms, and have to bring that justification into a fantasy game to ruin it for everyone else?
Not everything needs to be laden with deeper meaning. I don't like the way drow and orcs are described--specifically, I think describing an entire species as having the same alignment is both unrealistic and lazy--so I describe them differently in my games. (shrug) That's all, I promise.

velkymx

Explorer
Is it lazy to say Nazi's are evil? I'm sure there were some Nazi florists, but on the whole (lol) they were doing some pretty evil stuff.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I see we've reached the "but Nazis" part of the discussion, so I'm gonna bail.

Im Out See Ya GIF

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Were you suggesting that all humans are Nazis? Of course not, because that's ridiculous. Would it be less ridiculous if you used any other species in that sentence? "All cows are Nazis. All clownfish are Nazis." Nope, it's still ridiculous. How about non-existent species, then? "All sasquatches are Nazis. All elves are Nazis." Still ridiculous, and getting more ridiculous the further we chase it.

Mentioning Nazis in this context is always ridiculous, and usually indicates that the conversation has ended. So no, you shouldn't be surprised. It's not the 'zinger' you were hoping for.

(It's also bad form to call people back to a thread after they've said they're leaving.)

velkymx

Explorer
I'm suggesting that, as we do not have different species in the real world, you could point to a group of humans who all identified a specific ideology as evil. The parallel could be drawn to goblins as they all worship Maglubiyet and therefore its ideology. Individuals are one thing, a group is another, but in general evil groups, as a whole are evil. You're handwaving and ridiculous examples go to the heart of not wanting to have a reasonable discussion but rather spewing nonsense when your argument is challenged with logic and real examples.

Celebrim

Legend
You said:

Yes, I did. At what point in that do you see me saying anything that disagrees with your point?

And my point was the you can give species different temperament without giving them predisposition towards "good" or "evil."

Sure.

You now agree with this.

Now?? Now?? I haven't changed my position at all.

Yes, we can imagine dispositions which might make the creatures ream more "evil" in some sense, but we also don't need to assign creatures such.

I never said we need to. I only said that we can and further that if we do - that is if we have somethings that can freely choose between good and evil and do so, and other things that though they can freely choose by temperament and beliefs always choose evil or always choose good than we now have more paints in the palette. We have more things with which to compare and contrast.

We are not talking about anything objective and measurable, we are talking about a social construct. And the purpose of this construct is to communicate morals of the fictional setting. That people who play these games cannot agree what it means is a clear indication that this tool is not fit for the purpose.

I don't think any of that follows.

No, I am not. I am claiming that objective morals tends to produce boring fiction.

And here is where I want to put my main focus. Because while I quibble with a lot of what you are saying and think it's highly illogical, it's here where I think we can most productively disagree.

The overwhelming majority of human produced fiction comes from a place of and advances objective morality. This includes the works of Charles Dickens, Victor Hugo, JRR Tolkien, Raymond Chandler, Dante Alighieri, Orson Scott Card, CS Lewis, Rumer Goden, John Steinbeck, Jane Austin, Ursula K. LeGuin and on and on. Even authors that you might not think about advancing an objective morality are really only advancing alternative objective moralities - the author's take on how we ought to behave (but frequently do not). This includes works like Mark Twain, Earnest Hemingway, and Homer's 'Iliad & Odessey'. This is true across both western and easter literary traditions, all the differs is exactly what objective morality is being advanced by the author. Even many stories where you have a protagonist that's morally ambiguous and compromised and sometimes downright unlikeable, such as in the works of Gene Wolfe are still coming from a place of the author's objective morality. Obviously of course, you could claim that since all of these objective moralities contradict, that none of them are definitively objective, but that would be a very different claim than claiming that objective morals "tend to produce boring fiction". Even something like Beowulf is coming from a place of objective morality. You're talking about the bulk of stories that have captured the imagination of mankind through the centuries.

And this hasn't changed. If you go and read the Hugo winners or Nebula winners you'll find that while the particular features of the advanced objective morality have evolved or changed from what was most typical a few years back, your still dealing with stories where the author clearly believes there is a definitive right and wrong.

Now, a slightly smaller set of works but still quite common come from a place of amorality. That is to say the protagonist actions are presented without the author passing judgement explicitly on the character, such as perhaps in the "James Bond" works of Ian Fleming.

But the rarest sort of stories, one that almost never appears in the canon of literature is a story about subjective morality. I'm struggling to think of one that qualifies. Perhaps Camus's "The Stranger" is the strongest example I can think of where the author attempts to advance that morality is wholly subjective, and even then though I'm not sure he succeeds at that and being convincing about it. Nor am I prepared to claim it was a more exiciting and less boring story than the usual ones that do assume that good and evil are objective concepts back by certain characteristics and actions.

If being destructive without being able to make moral choices about it is evil, how are natural disasters not evil?

I mean are natural disasters evil? I think that's a very interesting question. I might not agree, or I might agree, but I think it would be very interesting to play with such a setting. I remember one short story about a wizard that learns "desert magic" that basically suggests desertification is inherently evil. Good times.

Perhaps. I am not saing that we cannot try to define morals, or discuss them. We certainly can. But in fiction exploring morals is interesting, and objective morals get in the way of it.

I mean I'm looking at my bookshelf and they just don't.

I don't want there to be Gygax given correct answers to moral questions..

This is such a fundamental misunderstanding of play under the alignment system that I'm at a loss how to have a conversation with you because I feel like we speak entirely different languages. Gygax doesn't give answers. The Gygaxian great wheel puts the entire space of human thought out there in a simplistic framework and makes them equal. The devils could be just as right as the archons or the slaad or the modrons and you take side in that conversation.

I want the players to be freely able to make up their own mind what good and evil means to them.

Again, strongly pushing Chaotic Neutral here, but nothing about the alignment system precludes you doing that. If players want to play characters that believe they can freely make up their own mind what good and evil means to them, then they can play Chaotic Neutral characters and explore that. But they could also say, "Wait a minute, this time I want to play a character that doesn't believe he has the right to decide for himself what constitutes good and evil, that maybe good and evil are imposed externally by some other higher thing whether it's a deity or logic or society or whatever he sees as that source of higher truth." And that player can explore that, and maybe explore it in contrast to the character that believes that everyone ought to be bound only by the dictates of their own conscious.

But the thing is, it always feels to me like an excuse for telling an amoral story where that really isn't explored to say that the story gets more interesting if there isn't any way to categorize or any framework around this discussion.

Look, I have played CN characters. I can make elaborate arguments that CN is the best and most right moral philosophy and defend it as an intellectual exercise. I'm just not about to force that one way is the only way "ism" on my game world. Heck, I can because I'm called on as the GM to RP Neutral Evil characters make elaborate arguments to justify that NE is the right and moral and correct approach to finding yourself in the world. But again, just because I can entertain those thoughts within the game world doesn't mean I believe them. It's just that I recognize that questions like, "Is morality subject or objective?" aren't simple clear cut things that have obvious answers, and even if I did believe that they did I'd never be particularly interested - as you appear to be - in playing out such a simplistic clear-cut setting where those important questions have already been decided.

Having in-character ethical debate produces far more engaging fiction than casting "detect evil" ever does.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Detect evil, even if you pass your scrying check in my game (because divinations in my game work off a skill check) gets players in so much trouble because the think it's some sort of win button. Like just because the mine owner is a hard-nosed evil SOB, doesn't mean he's the murderer or that you can just go and attack him without any evidence of his wrong doing or that the good aligned citizens of the town are going to approve of your vigilante justice or even that your vigilante justice isn't itself immoral. This is like the claim that objective morality produces boring fiction. It feels just a wee bit... overstated? I'm trying to think of a word here that isn't harsh, but well... have you really stepped back and looked what you are saying in the larger context?

Last edited:

Remove ads