D&D 5E Test of High Level 5E: Design 4 or 5 lvl 13 PCs for 6 to 8 encounter adventuring day

Radaceus

Adventurer
Thanks, Flamestrike, exactly the same method fo creation I used, No UA, just official books, including the EECompanion.

--------------------------------

Now a Comment about prep for this for the wizard:
-What other spells are in his book? ( I used the same as Mathan did in our PbP currently running, which is going from 1st to 6th level additional spells known=6,5,4,3,2, 1
- this is important for two reason...rituals, and 8 hr+ durations. Cast the 8 hr buff, then mem a different spell and short rest
--A wizard can regain 1/2 its level in spell slots on a short rest, examples:
----Darkvision on anyone who needs it,
----Mordenkainen's sanctum or hound (maybe between subsequent rests...)
----Seeming
----Nondetection
-Contingency Spell

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
As noted above, after the PCs kill or subdue the giants, they face a 2 hour journey to the Mountain (or whats left of it).

Smart PCs should attempt to shorten this journey by any means possible in order to allow more short rest opportunities in the Demi planar rift upon arrival.

As the PCs journey to the mountain, they can immediately see it is no more. The sky over the mountains remains is dark as if something is sucking the light out of the sky. The party passes flattened trees on the way to the mountain; knocked flat as if by a giant explosion, only facing towards the mountain - as if some massive implosion has drawn them towards the scene of the carnage.

Upon reaching the mountain, the PCs quickly find the dimensional rift that houses the Atropal. It appears as an inky black swirling vortex that seems to draw matter and light into its central core. Appropriate diviniation magic, arcana or investigation checks identify it as a planar rift, and that it leads to a demi plane of sorts. Sufficiently high arcana checks identify that the plane to which it leads to is a 'plane between the planes' with no connection to the ethereal plane once iside (although astral travel is possible from the demi plane). The PCs may also be able to determine what created it (the interaction of a bag of devouring with an equally powerful dimensional space holding an equally potent extra planar being) with appropriate checks or magic (DMs call).

Any PC that enters the plane cannot leave unless via the astral plane, or via plane shift, or if the Atropal is slain. As the demiplane is a different plane, any familiars that are sent in to scout the plane cannot report back to the PCs (although once the PCs are in the plane, the familiars can scout as normal).

The interior of the plane appears as a dungeon of sorts with 10' wide passages and floors, ceilings and walls are made of some kind of virtually indestructible black stone that seems to absorb light and sound (a form of dark matter). The entire demiplane is shrouded by a magical dim light (treat as a 9th level spell) that even darkvision cannot pierce. Creatures without darkvision cannot see more than 30’ in the darkness, and creatures with darkvision can see up to the range of their darkvision (60’ or 120’) however even then the PCs vision is shrouded in darkness (advantage to stealth checks to hide). Devils sight works normally.

For the purposes of this experiment, the dungeon itself is not mapped, the individual encounter areas are.

I'll post subsequent encounters every 24 hours or so, leaving us all with time to discuss the encounters as they take place.

I have reposted this encounter into the thread originally intended for the debate:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...enturing-Day&p=6838655&viewfull=1#post6838655

ThirdWizard

First Post
We've already hit the mismatch in the first round of the first encounter. In the context of saving the world, there's no need to kill the giants. They are just getting in the way of leaving the cave and if we can leave the cave without spending resources to kill them, that's optimal play in this context. But it's not optimal play if your goal is to maximize your XP and work towards level up. Hence the difficulty. A player whose personal goals don't match the scenario goals gets unhappy.

I do think you're making the (rather dangerous) assumption that the giants won't follow out of the cave, or that they won't just lob rocks at you once in the open. What led you to believe that?

If I were running this, trying to run would be a death sentence. I think it would turn this into a near TPK.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I do think you're making the (rather dangerous) assumption that the giants won't follow out of the cave, or that they won't just lob rocks at you once in the open. What led you to believe that?

If I were running this, trying to run would be a death sentence. I think it would turn this into a near TPK.

I would think that moving toward the cave mouth would be smarter than further into the cave, actually. I'm not sure if the party could escape the cave before taking severe damage, but having the option to retreat if needed is always better than not having that option. If the PCs could gather toward the cave mouth, with the enemies all further into the cave, then a wall of force would pretty much put an end to the fight, or at least cut off the majority of enemy combatants in order to facilitate escape.

However, having one PC run into the cave and one try to run out of the cave was a big mistake.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I would think that moving toward the cave mouth would be smarter than further into the cave, actually. I'm not sure if the party could escape the cave before taking severe damage, but having the option to retreat if needed is always better than not having that option. If the PCs could gather toward the cave mouth, with the enemies all further into the cave, then a wall of force would pretty much put an end to the fight, or at least cut off the majority of enemy combatants in order to facilitate escape.

However, having one PC run into the cave and one try to run out of the cave was a big mistake.

The smart move is to try to crowd control the wolves. Disperse so the remaining wolves can't maximize their breath weapons. Have your tanks intercept the giants. Given we're trying to preserve resources, the mage using his 4th lvl slot on a polymorph into a giant ape or T-rex so the giants have to pound through a 100 plus hit points prior to taking any of the paladin's actual hit points, and the rogue and bard hammering the living wolves with ranged attacks while moving around it so it can't target both of them with a breath weapon.

Giants have powerful ranged attacks and a high movement rate. You have a wizard with no means to move the party quickly away. You're more likely to end up taking severe damage requiring you rest anyway, while not doing much damage to the opponent. What happens if the paladin suddenly drops once the giants pound him with a couple of 4d10+6 rocks and drop him? Leave him to die? Try to carry him slowing your movement?

The only time retreat would be smart is if you have a high mobility party or the means to conceal the entire group for a low resource cost. But just making it to the rubble strewn cave mouth was going to cost us a lot of damage. It was extremely unwise for Bedrock to break ranks when his job is to keep the giants off the casters. He instead opens himself to an AoO, takes himself out of range to AoO the giant, and allows the giant an unimpeded path to the soft target casters. It was a foolish move, the kind that leads to a TPK and shows a lack of understanding of how D&D combat works.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord

You are correct. And 13th level characters should have fought giants more than a few times. They would know that they move fast and have powerful rock throwing abilities. If that didn't convince them, then Bedrock taking over half his hit points from one giant in the opening attacks should have said to him, "If they hit me that hard, they're going to destroy the others. And that was only one giant, what happens when both attack." When that second giant attacked, we would have been hammered. Unless the paladin gets lucky, he goes down. The paladin didn't even bother to bolster his AC.

hawkeyefan

Legend
The smart move is to try to crowd control the wolves. Disperse so the remaining wolves can't maximize their breath weapons. Have your tanks intercept the giants. Given we're trying to preserve resources, the mage using his 4th lvl slot on a polymorph into a giant ape or T-rex so the giants have to pound through a 100 plus hit points prior to taking any of the paladin's actual hit points, and the rogue and bard hammering the living wolves with ranged attacks while moving around it so it can't target both of them with a breath weapon.

Giants have powerful ranged attacks and a high movement rate. You have a wizard with no means to move the party quickly away. You're more likely to end up taking severe damage requiring you rest anyway, while not doing much damage to the opponent. What happens if the paladin suddenly drops once the giants pound him with a couple of 4d10+6 rocks and drop him? Leave him to die? Try to carry him slowing your movement?

The only time retreat would be smart is if you have a high mobility party or the means to conceal the entire group for a low resource cost. But just making it to the rubble strewn cave mouth was going to cost us a lot of damage. It was extremely unwise for Bedrock to break ranks when his job is to keep the giants off the casters. He instead opens himself to an AoO, takes himself out of range to AoO the giant, and allows the giant an unimpeded path to the soft target casters. It was a foolish move, the kind that leads to a TPK and shows a lack of understanding of how D&D combat works.

I was not advocating retreat. What I said was that keeping the option to retreat open would be preferable to not having the option. The decision to move toward the cave mouth would be preferable to moving further into the cave. Certainly it would allow for more options that could end the fight sooner, and if those proved impossible or too risky, then the group would still be together and capable of combat as always. And if things went really poorly for whatever reason, the possibility of retreat is still there, even if slim.

My comments were purely about moving further into the cave versus toward the exit.

Having said that, yes, keeping the party together and the frontline where needed would definitely be preferable. So once the bard moved further into the cave, then I would have had the paladin stand ground rather than divide rank.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
We have a player who's personal goals are "stay alive and level up" - he's said so early on, his group play to gain levels - and that's a perfectly valid way to play the game. His characters and his play style are strongly optimized to achieve that and he's very good at it. But in the context of this test, they are optimized for the wrong thing. They are not optimized for "save the world at any cost", they are optimized for killing monsters and getting XP. So there is a mis-match.

I wasn't even thinking of this. The goal in this setting was to show how a coordinated, min-maxed group handles encounters. You didn't seem to understand this point and thus made suboptimal characters.

We've already hit the mismatch in the first round of the first encounter. In the context of saving the world, there's no need to kill the giants. They are just getting in the way of leaving the cave and if we can leave the cave without spending resources to kill them, that's optimal play in this context. But it's not optimal play if your goal is to maximize your XP and work towards level up. Hence the difficulty. A player whose personal goals don't match the scenario goals gets unhappy.

Have you fought giants before? I have to ask because it doesn't seem like you've fought many given how you think about them. Running in daylight against giants is an extremely bad idea. They have a 40 foot movement rate and rock throwing of 60 feet. That means given plenty of open ground, no difficult terrain, and utilizing your action for the dash action will take you two rounds to get out of their rock throwing range. That is two rounds of getting possibly pelted by 4d10+6 rocks. Then they have wolves, which also move at 40 feet and have breath weapons. Not to mention if the wolves close the distance and attack, their bites can trip. That means they trip a target, pack tactics rip it up. and the giants hammer that person with rocks. That person has to spend half their move to stand up and then attempt to run avoiding AoOs which can trip them again. If they want to use their Disengage action to avoid AoOs, they can't dash. Which slows them down and opens them to attack. Then what do you do if one or two members of your party drop to rock throwing? What do you do? Leave them to die since you don't have to fight the giants?

Running was a bad idea not because one of the members of the group wants xp. It was because one player wasn't thinking about the capabilities of what they're fighting. That was the difference in the first round. Not only did you choose a bad tactic against enemies with the ability to counter such tactics, but you were woefully unprepared for dealing with such enemies.

Without rewriting any of the encounters (I'm guessing, here, because I haven't seen them), we could change the adventure goals to "get as much XP as you can, and at least reach 14th level" by, for example, backtracking to the intro and having Myrkyn doubting the competence of the PCs and setting them a challenge couched in those terms. "There are some giants occupying the teleport gate. Bring me the heads of the giants, and we'll talk." That would work. It would match the goals of this encounter to the personal goals of the player who has optimized his characters for slaughtering giants (and wolves) efficiently.

XP is useless in this context. What you could do is min-max your character and then play in an optimal fashion showing an understanding of the enemy capabilities and the way Flamestrike has designed the encounter to make it difficult to avoid fighting them specifically so he can drain your resources.

You did not understand the goal of this test, Bold Italic. I accept part of the blame for not explaining it to you well enough. You were supposed to construct min-maxed characters or at least partially min-maxed characters and work in a highly coordinated fashion showing a keen understanding of the game mechanics as they are used against the environment.

Players like CapnZapp, Zard, and myself don't really care about standard party going against 6 to 8 encounter day. It's about parties like we play with going against the 6-8 encounter day. Perhaps you have not been involved in those discussion is the reason you missed the point of the test. We're getting told by DMs like Flamestrike and Iserith that they can consistently (roughly 50% of the time) create encounters using the 6-8 encounter day that challenge a min-maxed party that uses coordinated tactics. the aforementioned people on this forum are not finding that to be true. So Flamestrike and I decided to give this little test a shot. It was pretty much a no go from the beginning as soon as you made a weak paladin and wizard that would never exist in my groups.

A paladin with a 13 Con at level 13? What min-maxer do you think does that? All his Concentration spells would likely be broken all the time. He would be wasting resources just recasting spells. And an extra 13 hit points for a tank class? The bard had more hit points than your paladin. In 5E hit points are the primary defense you have. You hamstrung yourself right out of the gate with a low Con.

Then a wizard with a garbage spell list and no spell strategy. No polymorph or wall of force at 13th level? Who kept that useless guy in the group? Polymorph is a major offensive, defensive, and utility spell all rolled into one and you don't take it? No min-maxer avoids that spell. No wall of force? This spell has been a battlefield control spell since it was introduced. It's still great after five editions of D&D. This could have been somewhat overlooked if you made some kind of enchanter type with suggestion spells, but nope. A diviner trying to be a blaster? No optimizer is going to make a wizard like that. It shows a complete lack of awareness of spell power.

I'm not sure what you're thinking, but I know this game. What you did ruined this test from the beginning. Your character's actions and lack of understanding of the mobility and ranged capabilities of giants should not be excused by attempting to paint me as desirous of experience points. I read the battlefield that Flamestrike set up and acted accordingly. Part of coordinated group fighting is reading the battlefield. You should looked at the layout, how long it would have taken you and the entire party to make it to the door, and how many rounds of attacks the giants and wolves would have been able take on you including the obvious difficult terrain with the rubble spread near the exit. Flamestrike put a neon sign over that rubble that said difficult terrain and you didn't seem to care. You just ran for that exit. Then we would have hit half move allowing the giants more attacks on us. Your strategy would have left us low on hit points and still fighting giants without having done much damage to them at all.

I'm going to assume you're not used to the type of encounters Flamestrike was running. You don't usually take time to assess your parties capabilities or capabilities of opponents. You're a wing it type of player. That's fine the vast majority of the time, But not during a test of this kind.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I was not advocating retreat. What I said was that keeping the option to retreat open would be preferable to not having the option. The decision to move toward the cave mouth would be preferable to moving further into the cave. Certainly it would allow for more options that could end the fight sooner, and if those proved impossible or too risky, then the group would still be together and capable of combat as always. And if things went really poorly for whatever reason, the possibility of retreat is still there, even if slim.

My comments were purely about moving further into the cave versus toward the exit.

Having said that, yes, keeping the party together and the frontline where needed would definitely be preferable. So once the bard moved further into the cave, then I would have had the paladin stand ground rather than divide rank.

I can understand that thinking. I can agree with it. If we could have set up at the cave mouth without compromising our line and opening ourselves up to AoO breath weapons and giant attacks, it would have been an optimal tactic just in case we had to run. I just didn't think we would have been able to do it. Flamestrike did an effective job of setting up a situation that required a fight absent the ability to negotiate effectively with giants.

BoldItalic

First Post

I didn't say it was optimal to run away. I said it was optimal, in the context of the adventure goals, to resolve the encounter without expending resources to fight the giants. Exercise for the reader: how can the PCs achieve this optimal play?

Remove ads