A simple, system-neutral encumbrance system incorporating weight and bulk

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
[MENTION=6702095]Random Bystander[/MENTION] - it's not noted in your OP, but does your system account for two different encumbrance values for armour: one for when it is worn, and another - much higher - for when it is being carried?

A simple experiment will show you what I mean. Sometime in the spring when it's a bit warmer than it is now, take all your heavy winter clothes - overcoat, snow boots, toque, gloves, scarf, sweater, etc. - and walk around the yard carrying them in your arms. Very encumbering, and very difficult to carry anything else. Then put them all on as you normally would in mid-winter, and walk around the yard again. Much less encumbering, and you have hands free to carry other stuff if needed.

Armour - particularly armour in rigid pieces such as plate mail or field plate - takes this principle and dials it to 11.

Lanefan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As far as I can make out, [MENTION=6702095]Random Bystander[/MENTION], of this 21-post thread, there are 4 posts discussing your system, 5 posts discussing another system, and 11 posts discussing forum etiquette, 8 of which are yours. Or thereabouts.

If you want my advice (which perhaps you don't) - if you want people to talk about your encumbrance system, I'd focus on that rather than forum etiquette. I think you've effectively derailed your own thread.

As far as I can make out, [MENTION=6702095]Random Bystander[/MENTION], of this 21-post thread, there are 4 posts discussing your system, 5 posts discussing another system, and 11 posts discussing forum etiquette, 8 of which are yours. Or thereabouts.

If you want my advice (which perhaps you don't) - if you want people to talk about your encumbrance system, I'd focus on that rather than forum etiquette. I think you've effectively derailed your own thread.
Strangely, I only counted 6 of my posts discussing forum ettiquite, and 5 from others. It would have been 7 from mine and 6 from others, but there were 2 posts that had relevant content as well. And those 4 posts only existed after strenuous complaint.

But let us not cut too fine. The point is that this is not my thread, and never was. Message received.

Very well then.

I have lost sleep; I have lost appetite; I have made myself sick with stress over this thread, and the frank rudeness with which I have been treated.

I resolve it thusly.

delericho

Legend
If you are not interested in the encumbrance system I posted, why are you hijacking my thread for your own encumbrance systems?

You are being rude. Kindly desist.

For what little it is worth, it was not my intention to derail your thread, and for that I apologise. I should probably have done so sooner, but preferred to keep quiet so as not to clutter it further.

Last edited:

If he lost sleep, appetite, and made himself sick with stress over a forum thread (of all things!), then perhaps a forum is not for him. I don't think we derailed the thread at all. I think a lot of users were very excited to discuss this topic, but we were all greeted with really unpleasant hostility. And for what? For offering ideas for alternative rules? Isn't that usually why people start a topic about a homebrew rule? This is just silly. We were showing genuine interest in the topic.

Last edited:

Remove ads