THIS Is The Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook!

Courtesy of Paizo's Jason Bulmahn on the Twitters -- "This is my 5,000th tweet and I can not think of a finer thing to show than this glorious book finally landing on my shelf. The team really outdid themselves on this. I can't wait for all of you to see it!"

Courtesy of Paizo's Jason Bulmahn on the Twitters -- "This is my 5,000th tweet and I can not think of a finer thing to show than this glorious book finally landing on my shelf. The team really outdid themselves on this. I can't wait for all of you to see it!"

DhXULTzV4AAP263.jpg

S

Sunseeker

It's options people. No one has to buy any book. They are giving the content as a free pdf. If you want it free take the pdf. If you want it printed but not pay them then print it yourself. If you want what they offer then buy it. Smh. It seems like all parties can have it as they wish.

THIS. Seriously folks.

The only concern a print gives me is that since they've gone through the effort to make this physical thing, they'll be less inclined to fix/alter the rules.

So I hope that between Playtest and Launch, I can see some changes (beyond fixing typos and such).

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I feel if they are going about printing it.. the final version won't be that altered by the playtest. How much changed from the hardcover PF 1 playtest to the final? Was it just some balance or did major things change?

That would be my fear as well

Emerikol

Adventurer
uhhh, the more they change it the more everyone is likely to buy it again. What fear? The fear they won't sell their print run? If they have that fear then I think they have a lot more fears that matter a lot more.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Honestly, what needs to happen is this.

1. PDF costs X
2. Hardcover costs X + Markup.

Buy the PDF, if you want the hardcover pay for it. As errata get rolled out, the PDF automatically gets upgraded to the new errata.. and you can re-download it. If you want an updated hardcover, pay for it again. Being honest, I feel this is more or less how it is now, but there's no way to print on demand an updated book with all errata included for most publishers.

The real change needs to be access to the play testers and employees of the firm. If you want to drive a sub model, then make all the freebie rules clarification and sage advice stuff plus more UA and other content behind a paywall. The folks that paid for it would subsidize the time between editions.

I'm sure WoTC tried some of this with an insider sub, but the problem in my mind with Insider was that it was chained to 4E, which didn't have the best reputation to begin with and made Insider's flaws more glaring.

If you did the Insider model well with the right game behind it.. it would be fine and perhaps all the silly interpretations that come out of things like sage advice would be higher quality.

I know I wouldn't want to spend time answering player questions if it wasn't driving profit on some level and I'd treat it as a distraction rather than a boon.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
uhhh, the more they change it the more everyone is likely to buy it again. What fear? The fear they won't sell their print run? If they have that fear then I think they have a lot more fears that matter a lot more.

Right. The playtest books are going to be limited run - they'll sell those out quickly even though the books are going to be available as free pdfs.

And if they want to keep their reputation as a company intact, they will incorporate feedback from the playtests into the final game somehow. If they get a bunch of complaints about something and they don't at least tweak it before publication, everyone will wonder what the point of the playtest was if they were just going to be ignored.

And, frankly, Paizo would be idiots to put this out as a finished game but pretend it was a playtest anyway. They're going to get massive amounts of feedback on things that are either broken or disliked about the game - it's a guarantee for any playtest. Just outright ignoring those would be the worst kind of marketing decision.

Now there will likely be a lot of things that people don't like that DON'T get changed. But if so, it will be because there are more people who like them than don't. I guarantee that almost everyone who playtests will find something they don't like, but what one person doesn't like another person may love. That's part of why you have open playtesting.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Both WoTC and Paizo have announcements for releases MONTHS in advance. WoTC is about 3 months for the actual release to release date with a month or so of teasers. It's working for them it seems based on sales and video watches, etc. paizo just says our next hardcover is "blank book" 6 to 9 months before it's release, most times a month later from the initial post they update with the actually cover. Both work for their respectively audiences. For me when our group was playing pathfinder, the lead time and amount of stuff they put out, couldn't remember when books were releasing as 2 months after the first release blog post, theirs next book was announced, 9 months out. Not hard core enough to keep up that far in advance and I like the 3 or so month reveal with WoTC and it keeps my buyer attention and something to look forward to around the corner time wise.

i'd doomlioe Jester mentions, print the free PDF to then mark up. I've bought way to many game systems just to read in my 30+ years that I've never played but still enjoyed to read and mine from. I'll do the same with the final product I'm sure when it arrives.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I feel if they are going about printing it.. the final version won't be that altered by the playtest. How much changed from the hardcover PF 1 playtest to the final? Was it just some balance or did major things change?

That would be my fear as well
Jason Buhlman, the lead designer replied to someone who asked a question very similar to this at Paizocon; he replied that he personally completely re-wrote the Fighter class from ground up in the PF1 playtest back in 2008. “no big deal, just throw out your 5,000-word manuscript, is all!” He joked (or words to that effect). Sounds to me like they are pretty serious about getting this right.

It was this one, I believe?

http://knowdirectionpodcast.com/201...troduction-to-the-pathfinder-playtest-and-qa/

Kurviak

Explorer
Right. The playtest books are going to be limited run - they'll sell those out quickly even though the books are going to be available as free pdfs.
The books are in fact preorders, and the preorder closed on May 1... so you can't buy them anymore

Remove ads

Remove ads