D&D 5E Warlock, Hex, and Short Rests: The Bag of Rats Problem

You know, if Draak the Warlock said, "Hey guys, can you give me a little bit of private time to throttle the weasel ..."

...well, let's just say that the rest of the party wouldn't be thinking about his bag of rats.
Well, while it seems to be a subject of mass debate on the forums as to whether the warlock is required or intended to rub out a rodent every morning, would you want to share a tent with someone who always pounds on their puppy first thing after waking up? I'd imagine its a toss-up between ribbing the warlock about how often they pummel their pet, and yanking their chain regarding having to take an entire hour to recover after hitting the kitten.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Well, while it seems to be a subject of mass debate on the forums as to whether the warlock is required or intended to rub out a rodent every morning, would you want to share a tent with someone who always pounds on their puppy first thing after waking up? I'd imagine its a toss-up between ribbing the warlock about how often they pummel their pet, and yanking their chain regarding having to take an entire hour to recover after hitting the kitten.

Now I want to make a warlock who really commits to the concept and has a hireling haul around a cart full of poultry in cages for him. Every morning he wakes up early to choke his chicken before joining the rest of the group.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
On a serious note, I'd view a long rest as finishing when both players and DM agree that is has and they're ready to get on with the day.
Long rest isn't just sleeping, its the setting up and breaking camp, breakfast, setting and checking traps, packing, and of course the latrine arrangements etc.
So yes, the Warlock can wait until the long rest is over, strangle his rat, and then ask the DM if they can start a short rest, while the rest of the party make a start poking around the ruins or scouting the orc camp or whatever.

Hmm.

You know, technically, the Warlock could actually cast their Hex and throttle the weasel during the Long rest, and then still regain all of their spell slots at the end of the long rest.

I agree, actually. Unless your DM decides that the rest ends once you wake up, in which case, the light activity of making everyone breakfast and coffee after having your psuedodragon bring you a rabbit, hexing it, and killing it for said breakfast, should constitute a short rest.

Really, either way you just need your warlock to be an early riser, and have companions that are willing to do the other morning chores of breaking camp and setting out while you take care of food and coffee. Long as your warlock takes Last watch, should be easy.

@Mercule makes a good point about long rests and races that don't sleep, as well. Any elf wizard could use whatever slots they have left to cast any 24 duration spells they have, as long as only 1 requires concentration, and then do their 4 hour sleep.

Welcome to 24/7 charmed animal buddy from level 1.

i just asked the sage advice Twitter about elves and sleep, bc my irl friends insist I'm wrong but can't find any relevant rules text that proves their case.

Last edited:

JoeElf

First Post
Answers from the lead designer, Mike Mearls, are available.

From here: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/20/concentration-during-rest/

Question:
"Howdy, Mike! Just one question: can I start a short rest while keeping concentration on a spell like Hex? Thank you!"

Mike Mearls's answer:
"as long as you don't sleep"

From here: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/10/19/spell-after-an-encounter/

Question:
"Can I use hex spell after an encounter at the next encounter with concentration all day?"

Mike Mearls's answer:
"you'd need to find a new target for it between encounters, otherwise it ends."

Follow-up question:
"Does this apply to Hunter's Mark as well?"

Mike Mearls's answer:
"yes, though keep in mind the one hour duration #wotcstaff"

Unanswered follow-up question:
"I am confused with this response. How could you find a “new target between encounters” if you can only move Hex or
Hunter’s Mark after your current target drops to zero hit points. What kind of target would qualify between encounters?"

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
If you have this problem as a DM, then it's probably your fault.

Hypothetically, lets suppose that one day, the PCs do not hang around for an hour sacrificing rats. Do they gain anything by this? Do they arrive an hour before the bad guy is ready to start the world ending ritual? Do they make it to the artifact an hour before the rival archaeologist arrives? Does the cumulative extra day of travel they save over the last week mean that the enemy doesn't know they are coming?

In most campaigns, the answer to all these questions is no: the game has no urgency because fundamentally the PCs are always "in the nick of time". Never early, never late.

Argyle King

Legend
If you have this problem as a DM, then it's probably your fault.

Hypothetically, lets suppose that one day, the PCs do not hang around for an hour sacrificing rats. Do they gain anything by this? Do they arrive an hour before the bad guy is ready to start the world ending ritual? Do they make it to the artifact an hour before the rival archaeologist arrives? Does the cumulative extra day of travel they save over the last week mean that the enemy doesn't know they are coming?

In most campaigns, the answer to all these questions is no: the game has no urgency because fundamentally the PCs are always "in the nick of time". Never early, never late.

That's why, as a PC, I typically invest in horses and a carriage. I can multi-task by sleeping while I travel.

Remove ads