Playing Tieflings

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Yes, traditional - You know, as in how you usually see not-D&D pictures of the devil/devil inspired characters drawn. Stereotypical if you want a different word.

If you've still got a problem? Hop in your time machine & go alter how artists have been drawing this stuff for who-knows how many generations.

Its archetypal and when I think of Tieflings, its how I see them--look at a can of deviled ham! ;)

I can ALMOST tolerate the pointed thin tail...and the short horns are where it is at...

Just looked up the AD&D pic of Asmodeus from the monster manual. That black and white pic is evocative of this arcehtype for me.

I was picturing my tiefling like that largely with the thin barbed tail or none. See also Dispater from ye olde monster manual! I am showing my age!

S

Sunseeker

Depends on the setting really. I tend to think of tieflings as rare, because the implications of them being not-rare are a little too profound for a "normal/generic/kitchen-sink" setting. I've always thought the idea that they breed true to be interesting though, as tieflings would essentially assimilate other races. Male tieflings would always impregnate females with tiefling babies, female tieflings would always birth tiefling babies. I thought about applying the same thing to dragonborn, would be an interesting play on both their magical heritage.

Anyway, it really depends on the setting. How established are tieflings in the setting? Are the random and rare? Do they have empires? Are they true-breeding?

I don't know what you qualify as "normal". Tolkein? Forgotten Realms? Greyhawk? Something else?

As above, I tend to consider tieflings "normal" but rare.

BUT, I also like to let players define their own tieflings. If you want to play a more tropey "sexy girl who looks like a succubus but isn't" okay. If you want to play the ram-headed, thick-tailed style, okay. If you want to take inspiration from other demonic races, such as Pathfinder's Blood of Fiends that's fine too. Heck, if you want to look totally human I'm okay with that too. For my "normal" games, your race doesn't factor in much unless the group has an expressed interest in that.

The goto literature for 4e/5e tieflings is the Brimstone Angeles Saga. There is at least one secondary character who is a tiefling with the tail and horns cut off.

"I want to seem like a human" or "being called out as different always upsets me" could be starting points for flaw, trait or similar.

Interestingly enough, having not picked up a D&D novel in like 10 years (and I used to be an avid reader of Forgotten Realms novels), I finally started the Brimstone Angels series only a couple of days ago. And it is definitely worth it - the author really has a way to bring interesting characters to life, quite obviously including her tiefling characters, and she definitely knows her D&D and Forgotten Realms stuff from all the big and little details she has in the novel. I'm now halfway through the first, and am eagerly anticipating reading the other five!

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6803664]ccs[/MENTION] #30 i do not have a Problem at all and i totally understood what you wanted to express,
it is just that for me (eventually being no native english speaker) the term traditional in conjunction with Body parts sounds terribly funny,
i don't know how to explain maybe like e.g. if you describe a RL human having traditional big feet or a traditional long nose.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=93444]shidaku[/MENTION] #33 that is a great aspect of it all that you posted there: Does a tiefling breed true? I would say it is either yes or 50/50 or maybe if the tiefling intermingles with other races the abyssal/infernal heritage dilutes over the generations? Or maybe it gets stronger by both parents being tieflings ?

On the other fact i also totally agree, in an planescape campaign tieflings should be totally common, but a in vanilla setting? What would be their total percentage of a population? In my Greyhawk campaign i allow them to be a playable race (though only infernal heritage for plot reasons) but i would rate their rareness in the general populace among all other humanoid player races to be about 1-3 per thousand.

Remove ads