Will you make transsexual Elves canon in your games ?

Zardnaar

Legend
I agree. Combating and dealing with prejudices ingame can be fun if everyone is on board. Same as dealing with ideologies and means of government- we once had a PC with a noble background who didn't think that democracy could work at all and that it would doom the society he lived in. Despite the fact that their noble houses just ended a near-fatal war a few years ago.

I'd rather direct prejudices etc. at everyone (not necessarily all at once), depending on the circumstances. Not just at PCs belonging to one kind of group.

Well Democracy seems to be failing after less than 100 odd years as universal democratic ideal (since 1893 here). Monarchy was stable for centuries.

I live in a liberal democracy with a monarch as head of state, when I was younger I was anti monarchist, now once I look at Republics maybe having an educated hereditary head of state is not the worst thing in the world. The Queen can fire the NZ prime minster theoretically so if we elected a pumpkin who was a disaster the armed forces and police are theoretically loyal to her majesty not the government. We can also remove a prime minister without having to resort to impeachment they get rolled by their own party on occasion, we elect the party the party elects the leader.

Lylandra

Adventurer
How do you guys handle this stuff?

Depends. As a DM, I play NPC like regular people with regular interests. This includes romance, especially if my PCs like to court and flirt. If they do get hooked up, I play the relationship but fade to black once the sexy stuff starts (other than, like, saying "oh and you noticed he/she really liked your hair"). They have to deal with the consequences though, which means long-term interests, broken hearts, retaliation or even marriage.

If they are in a relationship, I regularly hint at small gestures the couple might be exchanging, depending on the nature of their relationship. One of my PCs is constantly teasing his girlfriend and is being teased in return for example.

As a player, I just roleplay the interests of my character. PC-PC relationships are a bit easier to play as you don't take time from your DM to play your romance. And you both usually play only one character. Which means discussing emotions is much more straightforward.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My world doesn't have anyhting close to a liberal democracy maybe some free cities where people don't care about much of anything where money is more important. The Elven lands they won't care to much about it but in their and slavery is the default so you could buy a boby pleasure slave to do whatever you like with.
In the Knights of Vanya lands slavery is illeal but they are basically very conservative humanocentric types.

A fair number of ancient societies were not liberal democracies, but were still sexually open and free. Ancient Rome, Greece, China and Egypt were all places that were open sexually. Undoubtedly there were more places like that as well.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well by now you probably have noticed I take a bit of a stimulationist approach to D&D. I tend towards a very sandbox type game (you can attempt anything you want).

I also take a stimulationist approach to D&D. If my players aren't being stimulated, something is horribly wrong with my DMing. ;)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
How would everyone deal with a PC who was LBQT and went looking for love?
I would start with a private conversation between sessions. (Well, actually I'd have to start by telling the player "I want to think about that a bit; let's talk later.")
I'd want to sound out if this proposal is legit or is going to turn into a parody / demeaning. I also need to know what they consider a dignified handling of the subject.
If I had teens / kids in the group, as a subsequent step I would have to include their parents, to get their perspective - if I offend them, I can wind up with one less player. Being a parent myself I find "but don't tell your parents about this" highly insulting and offensive.

I usually play PG to PG-13 D&D so bedroom topics stay back from the spotlight and/or behind closed doors. There are too many ways to get upset people and far fewer ways to get happy people.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'm not sure what "organic" change you are envisaging in lieu of the US Civil War.
In the 1850s, the advocates of slavery were winning politically (Dred Scott decision, Kansas-Nebraska Act opened up more territory to slavery) and had begun talking about how the industrial wage employees of the North would be better off if they were made slaves and had somebody to take care of them instead of struggling with dire poverty. The 'organic social change' (or at least the flow of the tide) at the time was MORE slavery - and the Civil War was a reaction against that.

S

Sunseeker

So, first of all, that “M->F/F->M” terminology is not favored by most trans people. It puts emphasis on the person’s sex and the process of transitioning, instead of on the person’s gender and their identity. And it’s kind of invalidating to trans folk who either can’t or don’t want to transition physically. The most widely preferred terms are “trans woman” for someone who was assigned male at birth but identifies as w woman. and “trans man” for someone who was assigned female at birth but identifies as a man. And that terminology is equally applicable to trans folks regardless of whether or not they are transitioning or what stage of transition they may be in.
Oh okay. Sorry.

That out of the way, I can only speak for myself, but if I was going to make a self-insert character for some reason, I would definitely make that character an AMAB trans woman just like I am. Being trans has had a huge impact on my life, and I am a different person as a direct result of being trans than I would be if I had been an AFAB cis woman. Any character that was meant to be my avatar in a fictional world would need to be trans to feel true to who I am. Being trans is as much a part of my identity as being a woman is.
Okay makes sense.

Remove ads