D&D 5E Deconstructing 5e: Typical Wealth by Level

CapnZapp

Legend
Meh. It's easy to come up with costs and without a price list the assumption that you need and can easily purchase items is gone. I'm sure we could come up with a list of other things they "gave up on" because it's not in the current version.
Ah, again the old nugget of "since we can't handle a price list it's better to go without"

I have a better suggestion. WotC publish a magic item chapter in the vein of the 3e DMG... and you don't read it.

Problem solved!

Oofta

Legend
Ah, again the old nugget of "since we can't handle a price list it's better to go without"

I have a better suggestion. WotC publish a magic item chapter in the vein of the 3e DMG... and you don't read it.

Problem solved!

Or ... You just accept that if they haven't done it yet and nobody else seems to need it so it's not going to happen.

Problem solved!

cmad1977

Hero

Problem solved!

Except that WoTC doesn’t want to waste space or time on something so useless.

Hussar

Legend

Problem solved!

Ok, now, say that they do.

Would you accept that future modules and supplements do not reference this list at all? Is that okay? So, future monster manuals (or whatever they do) will present monsters baselined on the core rules, modules will award magic items regardless of price, that sort of thing? That, using this magic item chapter will render every other supplement unusable as is to you? You will have to rewrite every single supplement and take this magic item economy into account and you will be responsible for implementing it?

Or, are you expecting this magic item economy to be used?

And, how exactly should they make this list? Public playtest? Internal design? Combination of both?

There are some very practical reasons beyond you casual dismissal why this isn't being done.

TheSword

Legend
What I want is 3e continued in 5e, since otherwise there is no uptime answer to gold.

And I definitely don't want to remove gold.

I definitely agree 4e items were a trainwreck of dullness. I just don't see why that disaster got anything to do with this.

There are plenty of uptime answers to Gold. You are just so fixated on your solution that you are wilfully ignoring them. Money is a form of power in a world that doesn’t have magic items. Just extrapolate.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
There are plenty of uptime answers to Gold. You are just so fixated on your solution that you are wilfully ignoring them. Money is a form of power in a world that doesn’t have magic items. Just extrapolate.
No my point is that you and all the rest sound like that Monty Python parrot sketch.

"I'd like a cone of strawberry icecream"
"We don't have any strawberry"
"But you used to"
"Here have some chocolate instead"
"No, I'd like strawberry just like you used to serve"
"Maybe lemon? No? Vanilla? Fudge?"

None of your arguments even address that the game used to have rules and guidelines for utility-based magic item pricing, for those of us with no other desire for our loot than trade it for meaningful monster killing upgrades so we can get back to the published adventure at hand.

Now it doesn't.

All those other options might be very worthy indeed, but they do not compensate for the loss of an entire playing style. If you can find use of them, all the power to you.

But don't claim my need is filled, and don't offer these other suggestions as if they can compare.

"Just extrapolate" - a slap in the face. Making a proper upgrade to the 3.x DMG system is hard and time-consuming and something I want to give money to WotC for doing for me.

Hussar

Legend
You could use that exact same reasoning to shoot down any supplement you don't like, so I'll simply ignore it.

No. You can’t. Xanathar’s for example will not require every single subsequent module and supplement to assume anything. It has no impact on the game as a whole. None of the 5e supplements do. That’s because they’ve been extremely careful with game balance.

But bolting on a magic item economy changes nearly every aspect of the game. To the point where a character with bespoke magic items operates a level or two or mor higher than baseline.

If you get what you want are you willing to then rewrite every subsequent module to take it into account?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Problem solved!

Why do you trump other people? Space and work effort don't come free. A price list would come at the expense of something else that was going to be included in the book. What gets sacrificed that other people want so that you can have a price list that doesn't work anyway?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Money is power in a world with magic items, too. ;)

Remove ads