D&D 5E Deconstructing 5e: Typical Wealth by Level

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
None of your arguments even address that the game used to have rules and guidelines for utility-based magic item pricing, for those of us with no other desire for our loot than trade it for meaningful monster killing upgrades so we can get back to the published adventure at hand.

I chopped out the insulting attack on everyone who doesn't agree with you.

Yes, the game used to have broken magic item pricing that was useless to people who actually cared about the worth of magic items.

Now it doesn't.

Correct. They didn't spend time and effort on a broken system of magic item sales.

All those other options might be very worthy indeed, but they do not compensate for the loss of an entire playing style.

Yes they do. Oh, wait. Perhaps you meant that it doesn't compensate YOU for the loss.

But don't claim my need is filled, and don't offer these other suggestions as if they can compare.

WotC doesn't serve you, though. They do surveys and studies to see what is wanted. I've been skeptical in the past at the effectiveness of those surveys, but it seems likely that if a ton of people wanted this, it would be done. They aren't going to put in that much time and effort for only a small percentage of players. Especially when the magic item pricing system was broken in 3e anyway.

You could use that exact same reasoning to shoot down any supplement you don't like, so I'll simply ignore it.

Not really. That reasoning doesn't apply to any addition of the game that he doesn't like. It only applies to some of them. Not answering is an evasion, and a fairly transparent one.

S'mon

Legend
No my point is that you and all the rest sound like that Monty Python parrot sketch.

"I'd like a cone of strawberry icecream"
"We don't have any strawberry"
"But you used to"
"Here have some chocolate instead"
"No, I'd like strawberry just like you used to serve"
"Maybe lemon? No? Vanilla? Fudge?"

I like how you think the person demanding strawberry icecream is the one being unreasonable! Maybe he should go to the strawberry icecream seller down the street.

5ekyu

Hero
No my point is that you and all the rest sound like that Monty Python parrot sketch.

"But you used to"

None of your arguments even address that the game used to have rules and guidelines for utility-based magic item pricing, for those of us with no other desire for our loot than trade it for meaningful monster killing upgrades so we can get back to the published adventure at hand.

Now it doesn't.

All those other options might be very worthy indeed, but they do not compensate for the loss of an entire playing style. If you can find use of them, all the power to you.

But don't claim my need is filled, and don't offer these other suggestions as if they can compare.

"Just extrapolate" - a slap in the face. Making a proper upgrade to the 3.x DMG system is hard and time-consuming and something I want to give money to WotC for doing for me.
"None of your arguments even address that the game used to have rules and guidelines for utility-based magic item pricing, for those of us with no other desire for our loot than trade it for meaningful monster killing upgrades so we can get back to the published adventure at hand."

Actually, I know it might not fit your agenda but I am pretty sure there have been comments mentioning and recognizing previous attempts and that experience with such in this game's editions and others proved the idea to not work. Its not a net positive and we dont want to go down that many times failed path again.

Edit [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] beat me to it.

Zardnaar

Legend

"But you used to"

Now it doesn't.

All those other options might be very worthy indeed, but they do not compensate for the loss of an entire playing style. If you can find use of them, all the power to you.

"Just extrapolate" - a slap in the face. Making a proper upgrade to the 3.x DMG system is hard and time-consuming and something I want to give money to WotC for doing for me.

Game used to have THAC0 as well.

cmad1977

Hero

"But you used to"

Now it doesn't.

Your need isn’t filled because you don’t need what you think. What you need is to take responsibility for your own table.

Oofta

Legend
Racial level limits by class iirc - maybe just for multiclassing?

Ooh! Can I play the "what used to be in older editions"? Hobbits were thieves! Dwarves were fighters (fighting men?), elves* were the only ones that could be fighter/mages. Don't forget there were only two alignments. Ahh, the good old days when men were men and only die you needed for damage was a d6. If you hit of course, which you needed to look up on a chart.

Some things have been trimmed from D&D over the years. Thank goodness..

*Bonus used-to-have, elves used to be quite short, maxing out at a little over 5 ft tall and didn't have souls so they couldn't be raised from the dead.

TheSword

Legend

"But you used to"

Now it doesn't.

“Oh wow, you’re the first person to ask for strawberry since we stopped selling it 10 years ago. I heard a company called Paizo sells strawberry but we’ve moved on to Frozen Yoghurt now. Not much call for strawberry ice cream considering how unhealthy it is.

Here’s our recipe though, go and make your own if you like.”

5ekyu

Hero
Ooh! Can I play the "what used to be in older editions"? Hobbits were thieves! Dwarves were fighters (fighting men?), elves* were the only ones that could be fighter/mages. Don't forget there were only two alignments. Ahh, the good old days when men were men and only die you needed for damage was a d6. If you hit of course, which you needed to look up on a chart.

Some things have been trimmed from D&D over the years. Thank goodness..

*Bonus used-to-have, elves used to be quite short, maxing out at a little over 5 ft tall and didn't have souls so they couldn't be raised from the dead.
Extra credit earned for the rsisecrlf bit.

5ekyu

Hero
“Oh wow, you’re the first person to ask for strawberry since we stopped selling it 10 years ago. I heard a company called Paizo sells strawberry but we’ve moved on to Frozen Yoghurt now. Not much call for strawberry ice cream considering how unhealthy it is.

Here’s our recipe though, go and make your own if you like.”
But I am sorry you had to wait in our long long line of frozen yogurt buyers just to get told we dont sell ice cream in that flavor anymore.

Remove ads