Adventure: Food of the Gods (DM: ryryguy, Judge: renau1g)

BenBrown

First Post
Papolstaanas starts visibly and peers nervously around the room, obviously upset about something and looking for its source.

Kaeysari also looks around, albeit more slowly, peering curiously at each of her new companions. Before she can say anything, Hedra begins speaking again.

Hedra balls her hands into fists. "But Krassus is now saying he can't or won't sell it to me. His last letter says he's had some problems with his workers and the full crop might not come in. But I think he's just blowing smoke. The last few letters before that, he was trying to weasel out of our deal, saying he had some other customer for the beans. Swore that if we sold to this other guy, we'd be opening up a big market where we could sell all the zocalti we could grow for years to come. I don't know about that. I just know I have a contract with the High Priestess and now my reputation is on the line and I'm not going to let that rat Krassus screw me over. I want you to go out there to the Isle and bring back the goods that are rightfully mine!"

Kaeysari seems mildly surprised by this vehemence, but hardly shocked.

Jynxx's smile never fades as the lady speaks, "Chaku! Do not worry our newfound employer over such triffles! I shall assure you... the farmer will submit your crops to you."

Still looking somewhat ill at ease, he says in response to Jynxx, "It's an important question, though, isn't it? I mean, I don't know anything about business. But, we need to know what, what kind of authority we have to do things, if there's some sort of problem."

Kayesari nods. "Papolstaanas is correct," she says to Jynxx. "We are presumably hired because normal negotiation has failed, but we do need to know what kind of authority we have."

She turns to Hedra. "Can you give us some sort of warrant, stating what we are allowed to do in this?"

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
"I agree that negotations to a point have failed. However, I would not worry. If we are forced to defend ourselves, we will and more than likely with more than enough skill to survive. I will not be an aggressor to the issue, as I have never harmed one that does not try to harm me. Therefore, do not worry about such things yet." Jynxx sits comfortably in his seat, neither leaning forward nor back but appearing quite at home.

"If I may milady, you do not entirely care if the operation pauses with the death of one, but I assume you do not want to lose it entirely." He pauses a moment then adds, "There is quite a bit of profit to be had by a place as you describe, indeed a mutualistic benefit... Do you happen to know what brought on his change of heart?"

Mewness

First Post
[sblock=ooc: some things that Mewness would like to know but that Papolstaanas will not ask]I don't think it would be in character for Papolstaanas to ask the following things, but if it is in character for someone else to ask them, then please do.

--Does Hedra have any unscrupulous business rivals that might resort to something like pressuring Krassus so that she is forced to break a valuable contract? Can anyone think of other reasonable explanations for why this might not be his fault?

--How far back does her relationship with Krassus go? What reasons does she have, up until these problems started occurring, to trust or mistrust him?

I may think of more.[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
Those of you examining the beans more closely can detect a very faint odor that is equal parts nutty and earthy. They are very bitter to the tongue. Papolstaanas doesn't really get any "zing" or much of anything, but it's tough to say what that means, since he's trying such a small portion that hasn't even been properly prepared. They aren't uniform in color, ranging from tan to almost black.

[sblock=Nature DC 12 (passive)]These beans have obviously been dried, and probably look somewhat different when fresh - likely a different color, and possibly some kind of skin or husk which has been discarded.

[sblock=Nature DC 17 (active)]You think that these "beans" are actually seeds of some kind of fruit, rather than true beans which grow in a pod.[/sblock][/sblock]

And if Krassus attempts to stop us from retrieving your goods? He asks with an arched eyebrow.

"Krassus?" Hedra snorts. "He doesn't have the stomach for violence, believe me. He might whine and protest, but if you're firm with him, he'll back down." The trader sounds very confident of her assessment.

"I cannot say whether you have Merkari's favor or not, but it is clear to me that he wants me to help you with this, and I can certainly see why. I will do all in my power to aid you in this task."

Hedra looks genuinely pleased. "Well then, perhaps your success will be a good indication that Merkari does indeed smile on me! My competitors already think so, I'll tell you that!" She laughs.

Still looking somewhat ill at ease, he says in response to Jynxx, "It's an important question, though, isn't it? I mean, I don't know anything about business. But, we need to know what, what kind of authority we have to do things, if there's some sort of problem."

Kayesari nods. "Papolstaanas is correct," she says to Jynxx. "We are presumably hired because normal negotiation has failed, but we do need to know what kind of authority we have."

She turns to Hedra. "Can you give us some sort of warrant, stating what we are allowed to do in this?"

The half elf throws up her hands in exasperation. "I thought I was hiring adventurers, not lawyers." She cranes her neck to look up at Papolstaanas again. "And you're really from Bacarte?"

She takes a moment and smooths down the front of her dress. "Okay," she continues more calmly. "At the factor in Fulcrum - that's the port on the Isle - a copy of my agreement with Krassus is on file. There's also a letter of credit there, payable to him upon receipt of the crops. That should certainly be good if he's got anyone official at the port trying to cover his worthless hide... which I doubt, but I guess it's possible."

She taps a finger on her chin thoughfully. "Actually, come to think, he'd be more likely to try something like that than violence."

"But understand, that Isle is still mostly pretty wild. The plantation's out in the boonies and there ain't gonna be any city watch around, either to hinder or to help.

"If I may milady, you do not entirely care if the operation pauses with the death of one, but I assume you do not want to lose it entirely." He pauses a moment then adds, "There is quite a bit of profit to be had by a place as you describe, indeed a mutualistic benefit... Do you happen to know what brought on his change of heart?"

"Yes, the plantation took some significant capital. And much as I'd enjoy hearing that you were forced to beat Krassus senseless, that'd be bad business. He's actually a good manager, knows how to run a farm, and I'd be happiest if it's all a misunderstanding, he keeps up his end of the bargain, and we're all best buddies again. His letters have been vague and evasive. So if you do find out what his problem is and let me know, there could be a little bonus in it for you."

She starts pacing again. "The reason I want muscle for this job isn't Krassus," she says. "It's this mysterious 'other customer'. I don't know who it is or how bad he wants the beans. And that has me worried. If Krassus already gave them the stuff, or they just took it, then they've stolen from me, and I want you to get it back, by hook or by crook. Is that clear?"

Hedra stops pacing and looks around, turning her piercing gaze on each of you in turn, skipping only the deva. "Ms. Azryah says she's on board. How about the rest of you - in or out?"

[sblock=ooc]I'm going to continue a bit more in another post, just trying to get the exposition out of the way... sheesh, didn't realize there'd be so much of it! But there is a chance for you to speak here... in fact if you want to back up and interrupt her any time, go for it.[/sblock]

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
"I cannot let the deva venture alone, what kinda of man would I be?" Jynxx pauses momentarily, "Do you know anything about this 'other customer'?"

LadyLaw

First Post
[sblock=Nature Check]1d20+4=23[/sblock]

"The way you describe Krassus it certainly sounds possible that whoever the other buyer is could have brought some muscle in to scare him. Seems odd that someone else would have found him by random chance if the island is so wild. We may be looking at some sort of espionage. Either way, it makes me wonder what else these things might be good for besides brewing strange beverages."

She hands the bean back to Hedra.

ryryguy

First Post
Hedra steps back behind her desk and looks down at some papers. "Right. Let's talk hardtack. I'm prepared to offer you each..." She moves a finger down a ledger. "Fifty gold pieces for bringing back five bushels of zocalti. That's just for getting it here whenever. But to avoid a penalty on my contract with the Vena temple, I need them here four days from tomorrow. Get back by then, and it's another fifty gold each."

She sits down at the chair and gathers a couple of charts, which she studies for a few moments. "Given expected sailing times, leaving tomorrow, that means to make the deadline, you'll have to spend no more than two nights on the Isle, and leave by midday on the third day. Shouldn't be a problem!"

"All right then. None of you have been to the Isle before, right? No? I figured as much. I'll arrange for a guide to meet you in Fulcrum and take you out to the plantation. And a couple of pack animals as well."

Hedra rocks back in her chair and smiles. "There's one other thing. I'm sending the chef from my restaurant out on the ship as well. Name's Castofle. Some of his ingredients come through Fulcrum and he likes to go out and inspect them for quality from time to time, check the markets for anything new as well.

"He can also inspect the zocalti beans for quality - try to get as many bushels as you can from Krassus, and Castofle can pick out the best ones. You can leave any extra with the factor."
She shakes her head. "Frankly, the stuff is so bad, it's a joke to pick out the 'best'. Like picking a beauty queen at a troll convention. That part's mainly to humor Castofle. He's... the temperamental type."

[sblock=Insight DC 20 (active)]The business with checking the ledgers and the charts is a negotiating tactic. Hedra knew exactly what she was going to offer you and what the sailing schedule was before you walked in the door. Then she moves right on to other matters, hoping no one will think to argue the fees...[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
Chaku thinks for a moment on Hadra's comments, I am no lawyer, but I like the sound of this honest mission. I am Chaku, howling warrior of what was the Windreaver tribe, and I offer my lifeblood for this challenge. Setting down his massive hammer, he locks gazes with the mistress of ships, and casually pulls one of his hand axes from their leather sheaths and puts a small nick in his hand. He then squeezes out a few drops of his blood onto the floor. He then resheaths his axe, letting the small wound heal on it's own.

That minor display complete, he retreaves his maul and looks back to the group. Now that that little bit is complete, who else will join us on the great beanhunt?

[sblock=Nature check]1d20+9=14 Failed the active one, yet would pass it passively, oh well[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
"I'm in," says Kaeysari, "I wanted to make sure we weren't being hired as assassins, or simply to rough up peasants. And I will gladly protect this chef of yours."

[sblock=ooc] Nature & Insight Checks: 1d20+3=15, 1d20+3=20

Kaeysari notices the trick with the ledger, but can't get up the nerve to say anything.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases