• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just for fun: The Giant Dog!

Would You Use The Giant Dog?

• Sure! Its fun and good for fun change of pace.

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Yes, but not for comic relief: I'd run it as a giant wardog! GRRR! Use that munchkined out charact

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Nope. Its just a little too silly for my group to be fighting Clifford.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Nope. Its CR is too high for my group.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope. Its CR is too low for my group.

Votes: 0 0.0%

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Dog, Giant
Huge Animal
Hit Dice: 10d8+70 (115 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (-2 size, +6 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+26
Attack: Bite +17 melee (2d6+16)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Dog breath, lick
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +7, Will +4
Abilities: Str 33, Dex 11, Con 25, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Jump +25, Listen +7, Spot +7, Survival +4*
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Track, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Any land
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 11–20 HD (Huge), 21-30 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: —

This creature is just like any standard breed of dog, except that it is nearly as big as an elephant. Like any dog of mundane size, these creatures are fiercely loyal and loving, and can be trained to perform simple tricks.

Combat
Most of a giant dog’s barking and growling is only a display. If harmed or seriously threatened, however, it attacks. A giant dog fights in exactly the same manner as a normal sized dog; it barks menacingly, growling and bearing its fangs. Giant dogs view skeletons as a special treat, and enjoy mock hunting them and playing with them. Rarely does one get the chance for such fun with a good chew bone.

Dog Breath (Ex): Any creature made the target of a lick is covered in dog spit, and must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round, gagging due to the effects of the animal’s breath.

Lick (Ex): A giant dog sniffs, licks, and snaps playfully, and any creature made the target of this large-scale canine affection must succeed on an opposed Strength check or be knocked to the ground for more sniffing and licking.

Skills: *A giant dog has a +4 racial bonus on Jump checks.

Note: To use a giant dog with a more serious tone, remove the Dog Breath and Lick special attacks.

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Upper_Krust said:
Reminds me of that film Digby.

Love the special attacks Erica! :D

I wonder could it be distracted by throwing a skeleton away from it!? ;)

(giggle)

And you know the old saying...if you can't play with the BIG DOGS, stay on the porch! ;)

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Smack any of the fiendish, celstial, axiomatic, anarchic, or the shadow template on it and chain it infront of your wizard tower and you'd have a really nice guard dog for your high level wizard... At least it'll keep the cookie selling girl scouts away :D

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Krishnath said:
Smack any of the fiendish, celstial, axiomatic, anarchic, or the shadow template on it and chain it infront of your wizard tower and you'd have a really nice guard dog for your high level wizard... At least it'll keep the cookie selling girl scouts away :D

Yeah! Or give it two extra heads and unleash it on those snotty little brats at Hogwarts!

;)

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
BOZ said:
hey chickie, was that the same big puppy you had on the yahoo site a long time ago?

The very same. Ive made a few changes, but its the same poochie!

To be 100% honest, its not really an original monster: its an expanded conversion of a one-shot critter in an encounter in the Dungeonland module I converted last summer. I thought the idea was so cute I expanded on the whole thing. It was also a good excersize as it taught me how to use the size advancement rules in the Monster Manual. Those are the stats of a normal dog from the back of the MM advanced to Huge size using the rules in the front of the book. :)

Remove ads