TUW: The Steel Trade [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tor says,
"There's something in the air? Yes, that does make sense. If it had been animals or invaders, they would have fought to protect the mine. But when your enemy is a toxic vapor, the only choice is to move away. Perhaps we should make some sort of marking or sign at the mine entrance to warn others of the danger."

Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 112 - 115: Moving On

OOC: GM NOTE: Manipulating Way:

For those characters who are primarily combatants and not benders, choosing a post-Collegiate skill is mostly a matter of aesthetics with regard to what type of trinket that character will carry:
Aberrative = bones
Academic = feathers
Divination = stones
Theologic = metal.

For those interesting in bending with regard to manipulating mystic way:
  • The Aberrative skill can be used to affect the Body of animals and people and the Essence of people.
  • The Academic skill can be used to affect the Body and Mind of animals and people.
  • The Theologic skill can be used to effect the Mind of animals and people and the Essence of people.
For those interested in bending with regard to elemental damage:

• Everyone can utilize Thermal Way (heat or cold).
  • Mechanical Way (moving air) is uniquely tailored to the Aberrative skill.
  • Chemical Way (acid) is uniquely tailored to the Academic skill.
  • Electromagnetic Way (lightning) is uniquely tailored to the Theologic skill.

Sannit nods and says, "Turtle's nose is enough to convince me. I think we have our answer as to why this place was abandoned, and since we detected nothing worth digging for I'm ready to leave." On their way out of the mine San-Bolo will stop to pick up the corpse of the Mhytre and move it to the mausoleum, placing it on one of the shelves with its kin. "And in return for that favor," Sannit declares to the other Seekers, "I'm keeping the pickaxe."
Sheldon, lacking any superstition, helps remove the corpse of the Mhytre to the mausoleum below the settlement. The corpse seems to weigh almost nothing with all the fluids long since gone from the body.

Back up top with the animals readied for travel, Sheldon compares the pickax Sannit retrieved to the ones he purchased from town. The Mhytre's pickax is lighter and harder. It is definitely of a better quality material.

The main path heading in an easterly direction through the heart of the mountains seems the most logical path.

Sheldon -
"I wonder what those Mhytres bored into that released toxic fumes. This is a whole new territory for us."

GM: Traveling in the mountains is much slower in a linear direction than in the forest or especially plains. There is a lot of back and forth, not just the up and down.

The first day's journey encounters normal flora and fauna. The second day offers the discovery of some large spiders. Four are quickly dispatched before the rest flee.
OOC: New Collections: 4 large spider carapaces (10% cover)

The third day, late in the afternoon, the party comes upon a drove of burros drinking from a small pool formed by a trickle of water running down the rock face. The burros are about a 100 paces ahead and have not noticed the party. There appears to be, maybe, a dozen.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin looks thoughtful as he watches the animals below:
"It should be an easy matter to tame and befriend some, or perhaps even all, of these animals. Should we do that?

I think maybe so; we could either sell them to the Mhytres, for use as work animals, or we could bring them back to Southroad, and sell them there. Southroad might be the better option, since we will have more time to tame and train them; well-trained animals are worth more than freshly-broken ones are
."

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Guessing what Merin is thinking, Saemund walks up next to Merin.
"You will have to teach me how to speak to beasts the way you do. Would it be possible to befriend a bird?"

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sheldon -
MacConnell said:
"I wonder what those Mhytres bored into that released toxic fumes. This is a whole new territory for us."

Sannit replies, "There are many good things that come from under the ground. It would be wise to assume that there are just as many dangerous things. Perhaps in time we will have a better answer, and maybe something we can use to our advantage."

Merin looks thoughtful as he watches the animals below:
Tellerian Hawke said:
"It should be an easy matter to tame and befriend some, or perhaps even all, of these animals. Should we do that?"

Bolo answers Merin, "Perhaps this would be a good exercise for those still beginning their path with Way."

Turtle watches the burro's and licks his lips. Surely the people won't need all of them.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Bolo said:
Bolo answers Merin, "Perhaps this would be a good exercise for those still beginning their path with Way."

Merin smiles, in enthusiastic agreement, "Yes, that is a superb idea. You and Indigo should take the lead on this one, given your advanced abilities with animals; if Saemund and the others are looking for a teacher in this field, both of you are certainly more suited to the role of teacher than are Tor, Sheldon, Sannit, and I."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Bolo smiles but the scar on her cheek spoils the affect. "Very well, I will try to explain how I influence animals and the rest of you can decide if it is part of your Way or not. First consider the feelings of the creatures." She motions to the burros. "There they are, doing quite well without us, drinking their water and doing whatever they want. We will need to convince them we mean no harm. When we approach while using Way it will influence our motions and body language, as well as sharing the thought of no harm, to them or us, through the anchors that hold together reality. After we convince them that no harm will be done, to them or us, we send the thought that these burros should want to come with us. When you do it right you can make cooperating with us as essential to the burros as their drive to drink water. If this Way is not for you, then that is your decision to make, but if you wish, go and bring the burros back." Turtle rubs up against her and she pats him on the head.

Last edited:

redraider629

Explorer
Vadin, has an unsure look on his face. "that sounds simple enough, perhaps I can give it a try." Vadin attempts to approach the burros. He approaches them slowly, in a manner that is friendly. Getting almost close enough to touch them. As he approaches he reaches out his hand to the burros, thinking what his father would think if he saw what he was doing.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund watches Vadin and decides that wearing his axe may not be a good idea. All the animals he has known become skittish around such weapons. Saemund removes his axe and hands it to Tor. He singles out one of the burros and approaches it slowly, he calms himself and thinks calm thoughts, sending those thoughts to it. He also sends images of the burro existing with the Southroad Seekers peacefully. He approaches until he is able to lay hands on the burro.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 115: Burros

"Very well, I will try to explain..."
OOC: GM NOTE: Party XP will be awarded for the previous post.

redraider629 said:
Vadin, has an unsure look on his face. "that sounds simple enough, perhaps I can give it a try." Vadin attempts to approach the burros...
As Vadin starts toward the burros, Indigo whispers,
"Wait. You need to go with Bolo. When we first started, we had to touch whatever we wanted to affect. You are at that point, now. With more practice your range will expand. Bolo is the best at effecting animals. If you remain in contact with her when she befriends one of the animals, you will sense what she is doing. You can then decide if this is a skill you wish to further.

I will go with Saemund. Our approach will be different, but the immediate result should be the same
."

Myth crouches down and begins to slink off toward the right flank. Before he has made a pace distance, Indigo looks over at him.
"No. No, you may not. Burros are for work, not for food. Go look for a rabbit."

Myth's body posture drops like a scolded child. If a cat could frown, he would be frowning. He begins to slink off in a different direction.

"We all need to stay out of sight until we are with range so that we don't spook them. It will also help if we try to surround them. If they spook, they may still run by one of us close enough for us to capture it."

GM:
OOC: Befriend:
Affect / Range:
  • Cohesion + Evocation +
  • Persona + Psyche
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Cohesion + Evocation +
  • Mind + Knowledge + Persona + Wisdom + Psyche +
  • Collegiate + Academic
This causes the loss of Persona in the intended target. If the target is an animal and its Persona is reduced below 1, it becomes imprinted upon the Hermeticist and may be trained. If the animal is treated well, the befriending process will only need to be repeated a few times before it becomes unnecessary. People and other sentient beings cannot be kept in this manner. The process would need to be continually repeated.
Resist Befriending:
  • Skepticism (Commercial Skill) +
  • Tranquility (Collegiate Task)

Bolo: 19 paces, 71%
Indigo: 16 paces, 65%
Burros: 5%

OOC: Dementia:
Range: Touch
Affect:
  • Cohesion + Evocation +
  • Persona + Psyche
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Cohesion + Evocation +
  • Mind + Knowledge + Persona + Wisdom + Psyche +
  • Collegiate + Theologic
This causes the loss of Persona and Mind in the intended target. If a target's Persona is reduced below 1, it is stupefied and can perform no conscious tasks. The target may be led like a puppet, even to their own doom.
Resist Dementia:
  • Skepticism (Commercial Task) +

Sheldon: 16 paces, 66%
Sannit: 15 paces, 62%
Saemund: 15 paces, 57%

OOC: Muddle:
Range / Affect: Cohesion + Persona
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Cohesion +
  • Mind + Knowledge + Persona +
  • Collegiate
This causes the loss of Mind in an intended target. If the target's Mind is reduced below 1, it loses consciousness.
Resist Muddle:
  • Skepticism (Commercial Tasks) +

Tor: 15 paces, 45%
Merin: 15 paces, 53%
Vadin: touch, 48%

While fanning out in attempt to surround the burros, it is noted that the drove appears to be comprised of 1 adult male, 6 adult females, and 6 yearling colts. Independently, each Seekers decides that the young ones would be the best targets. Bolo, quickly counting the numbers, decides to befriend one of the adult females to leave the colts for the lesser trained members of the party.
GM: With his close proximity to Bolo, Vadin is amazed at how much he can sense of the distant pack animals, their intentions, their emotions.

All 6 colts and the one adult female are affected. The male burro senses the abnormality in his drove and begins to bray at his departing members. Once he notices the people, he quickly departs with his remaining 5 females.

OOC: New Collections:
1 female burro
4 female burro colts
2 male burro colts

Last edited:

Remove ads