Most frustrating quirk of 5E?

Fluerdemal

Explorer
Boring weapons and armor tables, and the (very) flawed rest and recovery/healing rules.

I'm not a huge fan of the attunement rule either, so I pretty much ignore it.

Come to think of it I like Concentration re. spell spoiling, but I dislike the limit to one spell at a time - I so tweaked that as well.

D.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Yeah, I generally really dislike chosen numbers vs ones that link to character in some way. Make it Tier. Make it Con Mod. Make it Tier + ConMod and reduce it by one every death.

With "races" like say death saves, it's kinda ok since you are setting a pace, but for most things... link it to character.

I tie it to Proficiency Bonus instead of just 3. At high levels where you have 6 possible it doesn't make that much difference. However, it is also useful to have really high powered items use more than one attunement slot.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Boring weapons and armor tables, and the (very) flawed rest and recovery/healing rules.

I'm not a huge fan of the attunement rule either, so I pretty much ignore it.

Come to think of it I like Concentration re. spell spoiling, but I dislike the limit to one spell at a time - I so tweaked that as well.

D.

I think a useful way of doing this would be allowing the mage's familiar to hold concentration for one spell. It would provide a reason to have a familiar.

Why does healing over a long rest bother so many people? Hit points are a measure of how tough a character/creature is. It's not merely raw physical damage sustained. It is supposed to represent much more then that. It's an abstract system meant to encompass more raw damage but still kept simple. Getting your wind back, recovering from shock, minor sprains, so on and so forth.
It may be designed to cover a variety of things in addition to physical injury, but it is also supposed to cover physical injury, and it's impossible for anyone to accumulate any amount of physical injury if it all heals when you take a nap.

There are lots of ways that you can narrate an archer's successful attack roll and the damage inflicted, but if you're using the default healing rules, then the one way you absolutely cannot narrate it is as the arrow actually penetrating the target. And that's incredibly limiting toward the DM, who has to go out of their way and jump through hoops to narrate lengthy fights where nobody ever actually hits anyone.

Fluerdemal

Explorer
I think a useful way of doing this would be allowing the mage's familiar to hold concentration for one spell. It would provide a reason to have a familiar.

I've done that as well as I really don't mind high level casters maintaining many spells at a time - I also link having a familiar to some Advantage and Disadvantage mods for Concentration as well.

D.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Why does healing over a long rest bother so many people? Hit points are a measure of how tough a character/creature is. It's not merely raw physical damage sustained. It is supposed to represent much more then that. It's an abstract system meant to encompass more raw damage but still kept simple. Getting your wind back, recovering from shock, minor sprains, so on and so forth.

Some tables are looking for medium and/or long term attrition. Right now there are only two things that last through a long rest - multiple levels of exhaustion (which even 1 is too penalizing to hand out regularly) and you only recover half your HD.

Now, I remember playing AD&D 2ed without a cleric and holing up in a cave for two weeks of wandering monster rolls to attempt to heal up - I didn't like that extreme. But sure, I can easily see wanting something in between.

So it's not a matter that they don't think HP should come back, it's that there's precious little that all characters have that gets worn down in attrition battles.

5ekyu

Hero
I've done that as well as I really don't mind high level casters maintaining many spells at a time - I also link having a familiar to some Advantage and Disadvantage mods for Concentration as well.

D.
Hmmm...

So, consider.. no rule change needed...
Familiar on its turn takes Help Action to help caster concentrate on spell to give caster advantage on (first) concentration check if one comes up?

Maybe require them to be inside the 100' range.

After al,, what tasks can be aided and what requirements there are is up to the GM.
So it's not a second spell but it is a solid non-sacrificial benefit for familiars.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The design parameters that state “everything that is pass/fail must be d20”. Takes a lot of interesting and better ideas out of circulation.

And THANK THE GODS.

Sorry, I remember early editions where everything had a custom built subsystem. This was done one way, that was done another. This you wanted to roll high. This you wanted to roll low. This used d20, this d%, that 2d8 for a bell curve. Chart lookups. that sometimes sent you to other charts.

Compared to having a unified mechanic it was horribly unwieldy. Even if any particular subsystem might have an improvement because it was customized to what was being done.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Here are the quirks of 5e that annoy me the most:

1. The uninspired armor and weapon tables, which might as well have been replaced with a "make your own weapon" system.

2. The design of the Ranger; I still think that it should be a spell-less class with more combat abilities.

3. The healing over time system that is outlined in the PHB. Long rests can't fix fractured fibulae.

4. The bonus action, which (IMO) should be a resource that you can have more than one of (based on class and level), rather than a concrete feature.

5. The flawed monster design rules in the DMG.

Remove ads