Two-Weapon Fighting - Is this possible?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Fighter has 2 short swords. He has both drawn.

TURN 1
1. He attacks with the bonus action granted by two weapon fighting first.
2. He then sheathes that weapon
3. He than attacks with the attack action attack.

TURN 2
1. He attacks with the weapon he has drawn.
2. He draws his other sword.
3. He uses the bonus action granted by two weapon fighting to attack with it.

REPEAT

If this is possible can such a fighter effectively benefit from both the two-weapon fighting and duelist fighting styles at the same time?

5ekyu

Hero

TURN 1

TURN 2

REPEAT

If this is possible can such a fighter effectively benefit from both the two-weapon fighting and duelist fighting styles at the same time?
No idea if there is errata pr sage but the words "when you take" and "you're holding" seem to set a linked time to the twf gaining bonus attack that to me means you need the second weapon in hand when you make the attack action in order to gain the bonus attack.

So i would say the overall series you are describing is not RAW.

Mad_Jack

Legend
By the wording in the PHB on TWF, it seems to indicate that you need to be holding both weapons when you take the attack action in order to get the bonus action attack. You'd have to take the attack action first and then the bonus action attack.

Whether or not it's worth it to jump through the mechanical hoops to get two fighting styles just for such a minor benefit is another matter entirely.

Harzel

Adventurer

TURN 1

TURN 2

REPEAT

Interesting. The way the wording is in the PHB, I'd probably agree that, RAW, that doesn't work as two-weapon fighting. However, I'd probably rule it the other way - sure, what you have described is two-weapon fighting, but no way it gets the duelist benefit. (Based on how I understand the spirit of the fighting styles I don't care about the sheathing/drawing shenanigans - you are attacking with two weapons.)

Oofta

Legend
I would say no, the presumption with using a bonus action before your standard action is that the condition that allowed you to take the bonus action is still in effect when you take the standard action.

Also, just no. I don't allow silliness for the sake of an in-game statistical bonus.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I'm trying to visualize the ridiculous fight where the guy in front of me keeps sheathing and unsheathing his sword. I'd think he was addled in the head. In any case, it's cheese.

As to the rules: agree with others above, no. Two-Weapon Fighting (PHB 195) says:When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand.

As written, you don't get the Bonus action associated with TWF until you attack with the primary weapon, and by design and common sense, you must have a weapon in each hand at all times. If you violate the conditions of Two-Weapon fighting, you forfeit its benefit. This would include attempting to get the bonus action while you have a weapon sheathed.

Rossbert

Explorer
My first thought is that the idea of duelist is you gain a benefit from the focus you can bring to a smaller single blade. I suspect you could not maintain that juggling, though it makes a fun visual for a high Dex light weapon user.

Even beyond that, since you only get one 'free' object interaction, it requires an action to both sheathe and draw (or draw and sheathe) a weapon in one turn. I might have run into this issue as a two-weapon spellcaster.

Satyrn

First Post

Not at my table. It looks to be completely at odds with the spirit of the rules involved in the fighting styles.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases