Return of the Burning Plague (Updated)

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I know adventure-making has already been done, but why not? Here's my sequel to that wonderful 3E adventure, The Burning Plague. I hope the formatting turns out ok, and if you spot any errors or silliness, do let me know! I'm planning to test it in play this evening myself. Where I wasn't sure about a number or a format or such, I just made it up, so I encourage DMs to do the same should the need arise!

Edit: Updated version now uploaded, modified encounters after playtest and fixed some copy errors.

Edit 2: Added contact information and changed a skill check to reflect new information.

Attachments

• RotBP.pdf
    137.1 KB · Views: 2,760
Last edited:

ltbaxter

First Post
It's great to see adventures for 4e, even if kobolds are a key part of each one ;)

The only problem I'm seeing as I look through this is the difficulty / XP of several of the encounters. This is for a 1st lvl party of 4-6. You have one encounter at 550 XP (will be rough), another listed at 775 XP (ouch!) and unless I'm mistaken, a final encounter of 900 XP (!!!) That will eat the party's lunch and I would fully expect a TPK. If that's what you're aiming for, fine, but if you're gauging difficulty from the black dragon solo - that's supposed to kill everyone unless the party gets very lucky.

More normal for 1st level would be 100XP per character in the party translates to a solid encounter that's challenging without using daily powers.

See how your own playtesting goes and adjust if needed...

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Yes I thought quite a bit about this. 100XP per character is the supposed recommendation, so 500XP for a standard party. Then I looked over the photos of the DDXP encounters and they were crammed with enemies! The only apparently difficult fight was against the dragon, who was worth 875XP on its own, so I'm hoping less than that will be thoroughly challenging, but not deadly. I may be editing it tomorrow ;)!

psionotic

The Burning Plague was the first 3rd edition mod I ever DM'ed, and the first time that I had DM'ed at all in about ten years. I have the fondest of memories for that free! gem of an adventure. So thanks for doing this, and I'll definitely check it out!

Colmarr

First Post
Chris_Nightwing said:
Yes I thought quite a bit about this. 100XP per character is the supposed recommendation, so 500XP for a standard party. Then I looked over the photos of the DDXP encounters and they were crammed with enemies! The only apparently difficult fight was against the dragon, who was worth 875XP on its own, so I'm hoping less than that will be thoroughly challenging, but not deadly. I may be editing it tomorrow ;)!

I think the D&DXP encounters featured minions, which are one-hit-kills. 4 minions equal 1 "normal" monster.

Notwithstanding that I agree with Itbaxter that the encounter will likely cause TPKs, I have to say that this is the best presented 4e adventure so far. Congratulations on publishing such a polished product.

P.S. If you do edit it to ease off on the encounters, I will definitely ask my 4e DM to run it for us! :)

Last edited:

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
The Burning Pague was the first adventure I ever played in (I have only been playing D&D for a few years,) and, oh, the memories. I had a friend get his face eaten of by that damn ferret. The crazy elf yelled into the cavern for the support of the halfling with "Hey Rogue-y!" which, needless to say, ended poorly x.x

The gnome wizard made friends with the gnome psion, and his psicrystal crawled ontop of her head and started purring! Juan the Barbarian raged and kilt the kobolds good.

Rechan

Adventurer
Colmarr said:
I think the D&DXP encounters featured minions, which are one-hit-kills. 4 minions equal 1 "normal" monster.
Aye; a regular 1st level kobold skirmisher is 100xp, a 1st level minion is 25xp.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
So I played through it this evening, noting a few copy-errors and the like for an update, but further, I will edit a couple of the encounters.

I had 3 players and after some wackiness involving being filmed for an upcoming Channel 4 documentary about the makers of the computer game Elite (The guys who did it went to Cambridge and met through roleplaying, were inspired by the open-endedness of it, etc.) we got down to business. For some reason they didn't choose either of the healing-capable classes (Cleric, Paladin) and the party consisted of the Fighter, Wizard and Ranger. I fudged my way through explaining the rules (not actually knowing everything about opportunity attacks was a pain for instance) and we had great fun!

The first encounter, a warm-up was nice and easy, as expected. The second a little harder, particularly when the Tiefling Wizard realised he could set fire to the flour clouds and take hardly any damage from it. The extra concealment was a minor effect but made the fight really fun. It was perhaps a little overpowered, one person went down, but they still won with ease. I'll probably drop some of the minions to clear space.

The third encounter went quite awry, alas. Whilst the tactics were sound, I had to fudge the slinger's ammo to one unusual pot each (else they seem way better than the archers!). I think I played the archers wrongly too, removing 5 from their normal shortbow attack when they got scared, whereas perhaps their base is +9 and they have +14 until scared. The Fighter was excellent here, ramming people off of the ledge for falling damage all the time. The Ranger suffered by teleporting up to the ledge immediately and triggering the entry of the priest and his minions. He went down and later died. The Wizard never used his daily sleep which didn't help and also went down then died. The Fighter though finished everyone off and won through.

The two dead players came back as the Paladin and Cleric. The undead fight was very tough until they realised they could pin down the artillery. They won with severe damage so I think with 4-6 players this would be a standard encounter. Finally, the hobgoblins totally pwned them. Hitting consistently, high AC and there was very little they could do so outnumbered. Even with more players I think this would have been tough so I'm probably going to tone it down a little.

So, version 2 will be out sometime tomorrow! Thanks for all the comments so far. Like many of you, it was one of the first 3E adventures I ran and it had a certain charm. The sheer number of available kobolds from DDXP made it a must-convert!

keterys

First Post
Good job collecting a lot of different things together... but that last combat might be really brutal. In the playtest it was that combat minus one soldier, and it was very dangerous. Not TPK dangerous, but pretty tough. In this instance, there's a decent chance people will have blown their dailies by the time they hit it, which could get bad.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
As I said, above, it's updated. Much less harsh now and scaling the adventure will now work as intended (just dropping/adding one enemy per encounter).

One thing I remember from playing last night was a player declaring that the minions in the pantry were just out to turn the fight into a Laurel and Hardy sketch :D.

Remove ads