• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disarm rules

Felon

First Post
17 levels in a class to disarm? Urggh. I just got took a pounding today defending 4e from accusations of being too "MMOish" from a group of old-school gamer buddies.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
17 levels in a class to disarm? Urggh. I just got took a pounding today defending 4e from accusations of being too "MMOish" from a group of old-school gamer buddies.

Just visualise "reducing foe to 0 hitpoints and choosing to let him live" as disarming him. Thats the big difference between an MMO and a pen and paper game - you're allowed to use imagination to describe the results however you want.

And really - disarm in 3e was ridiculous.

FadedC

First Post
Disarming is extremely powerful in 4e as it can completely prevent a monster from using many of it's powers. Kind of like silencing a wizard in 3e. I was surprised to see that the fighter power that disarms was even there in the first place, and would not want to see that become at all more common.

Felon

First Post
Just visualise "reducing foe to 0 hitpoints and choosing to let him live" as disarming him. Thats the big difference between an MMO and a pen and paper game - you're allowed to use imagination to describe the results however you want.
OK, you're scaring me here. The advantage of a PnP game over an MMO is not supposed to be having broader options for rationalizing the limitations on your options. The advantage is supposed to be that you can attempt anything your character could reasonably do. That ought to include knocking a weapon out of someone's hands without beating them down to zero hit points.

And really - disarm in 3e was ridiculous.
How so? They incorporated an opposed roll based off the attacker and defender's attack bonuses. Seems like a sensible way to do it IMO--and certainly more sensible than not having rules for it at all.

Disarming is extremely powerful in 4e as it can completely prevent a monster from using many of it's powers. Kind of like silencing a wizard in 3e. I was surprised to see that the fighter power that disarms was even there in the first place, and would not want to see that become at all more common.
OK, I believe this is an example of what folks refer to as "gamist thinking", and it's perfect fodder for my old-school gamers, so please don't say it around them. ;)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but what I'm hearing is that you're surprised that there's any form of disarming at all included in the game, even though disarming isn't something magical and arbitrary like a silence spell. It's something an ordinary person can actually do in a fight, but you're content that a character can't attempt it because it'd be too powerful.

Shouldn't the ability of a person to physically do something be enough justification for having rules for doing it?

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey

I think that in 4e you can still use any of your powers without a weapon or an implement - you just don't get to use any bonuses provided by the weapon or implement (such as the damage die of the weapon and any enhancement bonuses to attack and damage).

generalhenry

First Post
4E is designed to be a successful game.

It borrows a lot of design from the most successful RPG World of Warcraft.

A large part World of Warcraft's success comes from Blizzard's decision to remove 'realism' in favor of making the game fun.

The best example is the removal of exp loss from death.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads