Multiple voting in polls

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Hi!

Just wanted to highlight the risk/chance that it is still possible to vote several times in a poll.

I've voted at least once in a poll already. I'll go to Firefox - Preferences - Privacy - Show Cookies ... now I delete the EN World cookies and refresh this thread in another tab.

I am now allowed to vote again. I do so to see if the vote is registered ... and it is. The choice I chose has gone up by 1 vote.

That looks to me like clearing cookies allows me to vote again. It tracks my vote, telling me what I voted for initially. It still added my new vote to the total tally though.

/M
____

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
EN World Forum polls are not intended to be secure, or the like. They are for casual opinion gathering, not anything business-related.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yup - it's just a simple messageboard poll; not known for it's security, and certainly not used for anything important. The polls on the board are more for fun than anything else ("Who's your favourite superhero?") Properly secure voting requires different software; never use a messageboard poll to determine anything important!

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Yup - it's just a simple messageboard poll

I accept that.

But, there is also the fact that a lot of people do take these polls very seriously, and make far-reaching conclusions based on the results. Maybe a disclaimer of some sort attached to every poll would be in order?

/M

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But, there is also the fact that a lot of people do take these polls very seriously, and make far-reaching conclusions based on the results. Maybe a disclaimer of some sort attached to every poll would be in order?

I don't think EN World wants to go down the road of posting warnings on things that people might misconstrue - because that's basically everything on the site. That way lies madness.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I don't think EN World wants to go down the road of posting warnings on things that people might misconstrue - because that's basically everything on the site. That way lies madness.

Warning - madness may or may not lie this way. This is solely the opinion of one moderator and may or may not reflect the opinion of anyone else. :)

Remove ads