• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiple voting in polls

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
We'll never know, when they vote multiples times. :p
Heh, yeah. 'course, poll numbers often don't mean very much anyway, considering all the jokers who choose the most ridiculous option instead of the one that fits them best. Not that I'd do something like that... :angel:

(Of course, trolling is hardly limited to message board polls. For example, I saw a poll from the UK this year in which like 40% said they believe Winston Churchill is a fictional character.)

Samuel Leming

First Post
EN World Forum polls are not intended to be secure, or the like. They are for casual opinion gathering, not anything business-related.
If somebody can vote in a poll ten times in less then five minutes it's not even useful for casual opinion gathering. Any hot topic will most likely attract vandalism, and vandalism is exactly what this kind of behavior is.

If you were to restrict each account to voting once, record the IP of the vote & use some kind of 'I voted' cookie the polls would still be insecure since a determined cheater would be able to find a way around. It would, however, deter the casual vandal.

Since creating such a polling system sounds tedious, I volunteer to create it myself.

Sam

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Any hot topic will most likely attract vandalism, and vandalism is exactly what this kind of behavior is.

We have not seen much sign that this is the case. Our posters are, by and large, not so childish (or perhaps too too lazy, but I give them the benefit of the doubt) to bother vandalizing casual opinion polls.

Remove ads