Exceprt: Figurines of Wonderous Power (possible hint at Animal Companions)

fba827

Adventurer
I didn't see another thread on this, so sorry if this should be somewhere else

But the recent Adventurer's Vault Excerpt:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080821b

has the figurine of wondrous power and details out the onyx dog version of it.

I like it's At-Will power, very much the "man's best friend" feel to it.

Not as fragile as a minion (more hp) but still somewhat fragile.

I hope that the animal companion rules (rumored to be appearing in Martial Power) and familiar (speculated for Arcane Power) are similar in nature to this -- with hopefully more hp (and scaling defenses and attack as your level increases)

But as for the figurine, I don't know why, this has always been a favorite of mine in previous editions so I look forward to tossing it in. I'll probably mangle it a little to make it somewhat scalable it if looks like it will stick around the party for a while ;)

Which of those figurines are you most anticipated to see detailed out? (I'm guessing they'll all be similar but somewhat scaled for their higher level and a different at-will power).

Edit: I just realized I made a typeo in the thread title but I don't seem to be able to fix it. Sorry :)

Last edited:

Larrin

Entropic Good
i'm all for being stingy with actions. keeps a player honest. None of this "i'm actually a Druid, a cleric cohort, his Commanded undead, and my 12d4 summoned pets, and my animal companion, and my summoned panther named "Gwen. Now i get 4+12d4 turns per round". You get ONE character and three actions per turn. Anyone extra you conjure up has to share. Real companions may (hopefully) have a slightly less stingy action cost, but i don't think they should be free.

On another note. If i read it correctly the text said that the summoned monsters didn't have basic attacks, thus no OA. But in the stat block fido clearly had a circle around his mellee icon. Did i miss something or did they?

darkadelphia

First Post
The game has to be stingy with actions or it's impossible to balance having buddies around. If you don't like the stinginess, it's very easy to house rule--just give them buddies and say they get a full round of actions.

Stalker0

Legend
Two things I really like here:

1) The action system. Similar to how a dragonborn's breathe is a minor action, the ability to convert your minor and move actions into attacks is very useful, but it doesn't break the time clock of you getting a whole new set of actions. Definately one of the better ideas I've seen so far...at least on paper.

2) The spend a healing surge to give it temp hp is a nice touch. One, its just a cool mechanic. Two, it gives the person a choice between whether to focus their attention more on the item or on themselves. Three, it favors the defenders and strikers over controllers. Controllers don't have to move around a lot, therefore they often will have more minor and move actions to spend (except when tossing around their dailies). However, defenders and strikers can add more hp to their companions, so its way to differentiate there.

Keenath

Explorer
On another note. If i read it correctly the text said that the summoned monsters didn't have basic attacks, thus no OA. But in the stat block fido clearly had a circle around his mellee icon. Did i miss something or did they?
You read correctly. I noticed the same thing. I think the intent is "summons don't make OAs unless the explicitly say they do", but it needs to say that.

Stalker0

Legend
You read correctly. I noticed the same thing. I think the intent is "summons don't make OAs unless the explicitly say they do", but it needs to say that.

Remember our 4e exception based rules design. Specific always trumps general.

The general statement is that an attack with a circle around it can be used for OA's. But the specific rule says summoned creatures can't make OA's. Therefore, they can't make OA's.

Mengu

First Post
For the most part I like it. I don't mind the action mechanic. It keeps the power level toned down to a good conservative level. One of the biggest advantages I see for the summoned creature, is that they draw attacks from the enemy, which would otherwise be directed at you or your companions.

The only part I don't like is losing the opportunity attack, because that means they can't flank, negating one of the tactical aspects of the game completely. I really wish I could use that 8 speed for a chance to provide combat advantage.

Dalzig

First Post
The only part I don't like is losing the opportunity attack, because that means they can't flank, negating one of the tactical aspects of the game completely. I really wish I could use that 8 speed for a chance to provide combat advantage.
Uh, I think you're going back 3.5. 4e has no stipulation connecting OAs and flanking. As long as you are able to attack (in any form, at any time, for any reason), you are considered for flanking.

*Dalzig really wants this book now...*

Remove ads