• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exceprt: Figurines of Wonderous Power (possible hint at Animal Companions)

fba827

Adventurer
The only part I don't like is losing the opportunity attack, because that means they can't flank, negating one of the tactical aspects of the game completely. I really wish I could use that 8 speed for a chance to provide combat advantage.

Mind you, I don't have my books handy, but does not being able to make an OA negate ability to flank? Or am I misreading what you said?

I thought it just needed the ability to attack (period) to flank... no?

Edit: ninjad.

occam

Adventurer
Page 285. Must be able to attack. Basically if you can't take opportunity actions, you can't flank.

PHB said:
If you're affected by an effect that prevents you from taking opportunity actions, you don't flank.

Hmm...

Adventurer's Vault Excerpt said:
Conjured creatures lack basic attacks and therefore cannot make opportunity attacks.

The simplest interpretation is that they screwed up the stat block, and the onyx dog doesn't really have a basic attack. The other is that it counts as a basic attack, except that it can't be used for opportunity attacks. Either way, there's no restriction on opportunity actions in general, just opportunity attacks, so I don't think it's prevented from flanking.

Dalzig

First Post
Why would they put that after all the other crap. *SIGH* Then again, the rule states that "by an effect that prevents you from taking OAs...." There is no effect preventing you, you just don't have an attack capable of making the OA. So, by really strict reading, they can still flank.

[Not sure if I want them to flank or not.]

Keenath

Explorer
Remember our 4e exception based rules design. Specific always trumps general.

The general statement is that an attack with a circle around it can be used for OA's. But the specific rule says summoned creatures can't make OA's. Therefore, they can't make OA's.
Actually it doesn't say they can't make OAs; it says they lack basic attacks, and as a result, can't make OAs... In which case the icon needs to be corrected.

Using the "specific trumps general" doesn't work here, because the rule text states that they lack basics, while the stat block clearly shows a basic attack. Which one wins between stat block and text? I don't know. The "cannot make OAs" is just stating the result of that previous rule text.

I this case, though, I think it's clear that the icon is just in error.

Remove ads