• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creative Exercise: The Sovereign Dominion of Eyros

Rystil Arden

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Doesn't bother me, at least. And makes perfect sense. :)
I agree, and I was going to propose something very similar somewhere along my queue of entries because I realised it was necessary, but it was low on my priorities and yours is more detailed and flavourful, Andor. Nice work.

domino

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I agree, and I was going to propose something very similar somewhere along my queue of entries because I realised it was necessary, but it was low on my priorities and yours is more detailed and flavourful, Andor. Nice work.
While I'm waiting for more people to submit, so I can suggest more stuff, I'll just mention this as an aside.

That underground assassain vine that someone was contemplating bringing up. Subterranian assassain vines look more like rock formations than plants. Thus, you can't try to sneak shoots into gardens without doing some changing around.

Unless "more plant than they can handle" was just a general statement, and not a specific tactic.

Alternatively, people can say that it doesn't take much alteration, or is even an automatic change, when a vine comes above ground. I leave that to someone else to decide and expand upon.

ajanders

Explorer
domino said:
While I'm waiting for more people to submit, so I can suggest more stuff, I'll just mention this as an aside.

That underground assassain vine that someone was contemplating bringing up. Subterranian assassain vines look more like rock formations than plants. Thus, you can't try to sneak shoots into gardens without doing some changing around.

Unless "more plant than they can handle" was just a general statement, and not a specific tactic.

Alternatively, people can say that it doesn't take much alteration, or is even an automatic change, when a vine comes above ground. I leave that to someone else to decide and expand upon.

A fair point...what I was trying to come up with was a way to awaken the thing and raise it in the finest dwarf traditions. An assassin vine the size of a city shouldn't need to sneak. That can't be done psionically, according to the SRD. The Jagged Eye needs thus to either develop a feat that allows their powers to work on the assassin vine (so they can dominate or mind seed it) or get a druid to awaken it.

Fate Lawson

First Post
Prophecy of the Seventh Pillar

Shortly after the founding of Empire the Mask Jal-guin fell into a semi-catatonic state (in which she still survives to this day) and began spouting prophetic statements. The longest enduring of these is the Prophecy of the Seventh Pillar, and a whole Monastic Order developed around it. Most believed that the prophecy was fulfilled after the War of the Crumbled Pillar when the minor house of Taljik was elevated to replace the fallen House. In truth the Prophecy remains to be fulfilled, and as with all such prophecies has engendered a number of different sects that believe only they know the true meaning of the prophecy. The oldest of these are The Mothers of Truth, who are also the keepers of the lineage of all of the houses, and provide the midwives that must be present at the birth of any half-orc royal child.

Jal-qwuin still periodically arouses from her catatonia to spout off oracular statements. All of which are meticulously recorded for later study and interpretation.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Phineas Crow said:
Besides the capital, Eyros has six major cities/towns. Each of these six cities is controlled by one of the 6 houses and are run much like independent city-states. One way to measure a house’s wealth and power is by how prosperous their city is, having a weak, faltering city is a severe humiliation for a house.

Cool beans, folks. :^D

For my contribution: Some members of the Crucible (the elemental fire cult) are trying to negotiate with the Kohl'Tass (semi-sacred lizardfolk druids) to invoke a minor eruption of Mt. Xark while controlling the ash and lava flow to direct it along the uninhabited, sheer, north side of the mountain/volcano. Then they intend to use the combination of Crucible volcanic clerics and Kohl'Tass druids to hasten the lava's transformation into fertile volcanic soil, while also forming some of the lava into high, spiny rock walls around this newly-fertile area, creating a vast, many-terraced personal garden/farmland to support the 6 Pillars in Eyrdeyn against the building food shortages.

The Crucible intends not only to maintain the purity of the noble bloodlines, but their prosperity and power as well. In the event of future food-riots amongst the lowborn in Eyrdeyn, the nobles can ration off some of their excess personal crops to the populace to make them complacent and ever-more dependent on the Pillars' control.

Of course, the tremors of the minor eruption may destroy the simple homes of some lowborn citizens and slaves, but the highborn live in sturdy, many-columned homes of stone. And the minor eruption of Mt. Xark might have further consequences on other places/creatures of the mountain, particularly in the subterranean former incarnations of the city.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Nothing to see here either...so...Come see what's going on in House Rules: Rules/Crunch of Eyros! So far, we have rules for the slightly variant Eyrian gnome, favoured spellcasting classes of Eyros, balanced ECL 1/2 Kahl'Toss race, and Kahl'Toss Paragon levels! Join in the discussion about the levels of Eyrian NPCs.

Last edited:

Jakar

First Post
Arkhandus said:
Cool beans, folks. :^D

For my contribution: Some members of the Crucible (the elemental fire cult) are trying to negotiate with the Kohl'Tass (semi-sacred lizardfolk druids) to invoke a minor eruption of Mt. Xark while controlling the ash and lava flow to direct it along the uninhabited, sheer, north side of the mountain/volcano. Then they intend to use the combination of Crucible volcanic clerics and Kohl'Tass druids to hasten the lava's transformation into fertile volcanic soil, while also forming some of the lava into high, spiny rock walls around this newly-fertile area, creating a vast, many-terraced personal garden/farmland to support the 6 Pillars in Eyrdeyn against the building food shortages. The Crucible intends not only to maintain the purity of the noble bloodlines, but their prosperity and power as well. In the event of future food-riots amongst the lowborn in Eyrdeyn, the nobles can ration off some of their excess personal crops to the populace to make them complacent and ever-more dependent on the Pillars' control. Of course, the tremors of the minor eruption may destroy the simple homes of some lowborn citizens and slaves, but the highborn live in sturdy, many-columned homes of stone. And the minor eruption of Mt. Xark might have further consequences on other places/creatures of the mountain, particularly in the subterranean former incarnations of the city.

I like how this fits in with my post:

The main food producing areas of Eyros are the broad plains to the west of Eyrdeyn. These fields were made by cutting the bountiful forests that once stood there down many many generations ago. The soils are now slowly being depleted which is leading to a decline in the amount of food that is being produced thus leading to problems for the 6 Pillars.

There has also been a number of years of drought which has also had an effect of the food production level. To combat this, there is a plan being formulated to dig a grand cannel from the Kohoal River to supply water for irrigation to this region. Dwarves are being rounded up to dig this cannel, although the Gnomes are pushing for their mindless undead to be used for the task as well.

Breakstone

First Post
Lamb is the predominant food source. Most peasants are shepherd/farmers, who save the fattest and juiciest lamb of the year as an offering for the sacred lizards at the local temples.

Common predators in the Dominion of Eryos include giant lizards and birds of prey, which often grow large enough to carry an entire lamb. Farmers also use a bull-sized variant of sheep, known as olxem, to do heavy farm work.

Last edited:

Remove ads