• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creative Exercise: The Sovereign Dominion of Eyros

Rystil Arden

First Post
Breakstone said:
Common predators in the Dominion of Eryos include giant lizards and birds of prey, which often grow large enough to carry an entire lamb. Farmers also use a bull-sized variant of lambs, known as olxem, to do heavy farm work.
Alivia the Mask has recently been befriended by the current ruler's five-year-old daughter Belira, who has yet to learn appropriate racial and master-slave disdain for the Masks. Because Alivia obeys the commands of any member of the current royal family, the 3000+-year-old elven archmage and the curious young half-orc have embarked together on several covert operations to steal sweets from the kitchens and help Belira escape chores and play games on Rope Trick pocket dimensions. The two have become good friends due to similar mental states, but if they were ever uncovered, Alivia would attempt to take the blame and be punished severely (Alivia's usefulness to the throne being the only thing that would keep her from immediate execution!).

Last edited:

Breakstone said:
Common predators in the Dominion of Eryos include giant lizards and birds of prey, which often grow large enough to carry an entire lamb. Farmers also use a bull-sized variant of lambs, known as olxem, to do heavy farm work.

All the many faiths of Eyros, and its surrounding nations as well, have one common legend to all of them: The myth of the demon Taufenacht. Taufenacht is something of a Satan-equivalent, not in that he's the source of all evil--he's not considered to be such by any of the major religions--but in the idea that he is the ruler of demons, tempter of mortals, and tormentor of damned souls. (Of course, exactly what one has to do to be damned in the afterlife varies from faith to faith.)

domino

First Post
Fate Lawson said:
number of different sects that believe only they know the true meaning of the prophecy. The oldest of these are The Mothers of Truth, who are also the keepers of the lineage of all of the houses, and provide the midwives that must be present at the birth of any half-orc royal child.
There's a house that's also placed in charge of maintaining purity, yes? Assuming that nobody's gone and said which one it is yet, I submit the following.

The membership of the Mothers of Truth is drawn soley from the mothers of House Vajar. It doesn't matter how high ranking a mother, but none can become a midwife without having gone through childbirth themselves. Indeed, the Mothers of Truth were renamed thus, after the clan midwives heard the prophecies of the Mask, having been in existance and responsible for maintaining purity for several decades before Jal-guin's catatonia.

Andor

First Post
Breakstone said:

Perhaps you mean sheep? As lambs do eventually grow up... :p :D

Rystil Arden said:
The two have become good friends due to similar mental states, but if they were ever uncovered, Alivia would attempt to take the blame and be punished severely (Alivia's usefulness to the throne being the only thing that would keep her from immediate execution!).

Maybe I'm dense but could you clarify what she'd be punished for? It doesn't sound like any high crimes are being commited here...

Unknown to any but the dwarves the caverns below Zhalccu province contain a terrible threat, a City of Mindflayers. They had been contained only by the psionic might of the dwarves. In fact it was to prevent the king from starting a mine over that city that a terribly misguided dwarf (subtly influenced by the mind flayers?) assasinated the king 150 years ago. Now with the dwarves being driven back from the area the Mindflayers are starting to stir. Three small villages have disappeared overnight.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Andor said:

Maybe I'm dense but could you clarify what she'd be punished for? It doesn't sound like any high crimes are being commited here...

Unknown to any but the dwarves the caverns below Zhalccu province contain a terrible threat, a City of Mindflayers. They had been contained only by the psionic might of the dwarves. In fact it was to prevent the king from starting a mine over that city that a terribly misguided dwarf (subtly influenced by the mind flayers?) assasinated the king 150 years ago. Now with the dwarves being driven back from the area the Mindflayers are starting to stir. Three small villages have disappeared overnight.
Sure: Kidnapping and thievery, but more importantly, self-will. If she takes the blame for the incidents, this creates a dangerous precedent of self-willed Masks (she doesn't really have self-will to commit these transgressions since she was ordered to do so). Alivia is a powerful wizard, and if she is able to create mischief in this relatively benign form, then she could also steal Eyrian secrets and treasures, kidnap children, and then run away forever.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Andor said:

Oh, and I assume that the assassination you mention is in addition to the 350-year old dwarf-executed assassination from the War of the Crumbled Pillar, since we already established the secret cause for that one. Just making sure this is meant to be a new assassination.

Breakstone

First Post
The moon over Eyros is marked with what looks like vast, green forests. Observation of the moon has shown that the forests migrate across the surface at a startling rate- often moving miles in only a month's time! Who knows what strange magics could possess this lunar vegetation?

Jakar

First Post
Breakstone said:
The moon over Eyros is marked with what looks like vast, green forests. Observation of the moon has shown that the forests migrate across the surface at a startling rate- often moving miles in only a month's time! Who knows what strange magics could possess this lunar vegetation?

Damn it!!! I was just going to post that the planet does not have a moon, therefore no tides or surf to speak of.

You beat me to it!!!!

domino

First Post
Jakar said:
Damn it!!! I was just going to post that the planet does not have a moon, therefore no tides or surf to speak of.

You beat me to it!!!!
You could say that there are TWO moons, each locked in opposite positions on the same orbit, thus they cancel out the tides.

Remove ads