Ceramic DM- The Renewal ( Final judgement posted)

orchid blossom

Explorer
alsih2o said:
Judgements soon. :)

Main Entry: soon
Pronunciation: 'sün, esp New England 'sun
Function: adverb
Etymology: Middle English soone, from Old English sOna; akin to Old High German sAn immediately

1 a obsolete : at once : IMMEDIATELY b : before long : without undue time lapse <soon after sunrise>

2 : in a prompt manner : SPEEDILY <as soon as possible> <the sooner the better>

3 archaic : before the usual time

4 : in agreement with one's choice or preference : WILLINGLY <I'd just as soon walk as drive>

Ok, so I was bored tonight. And I wanted to give the thread a little bump before I lost it. :)

alsih2o

First Post
My apologies, this is what I have for now. I am sure we will have more soon. :)

Mythago Vs. Orchid Blossom- Final

Alsih2o:

Mythago-

This story is a bit disgusting and disturbing. And that ain’t easy to do. J

The wheelchair bound man makes for great pic usage in another dimension, the pic frames as tanks is a nice touch as well. Th group shot is used rather well, too. I am not the fondest of the bloody mouthed man, but it does work.

The plot screams at you, obsession is always a great subject. Obsession mixed with madness is great IF the author can pull it off. I think Mythago did.

I couldn’t decide if the l;ast line was too terse or just snappy enough, but I am gonna have to go with just snappy enough. J

Orchid Blossom-

Was that accordionist supposed to be nude? I LOVE references to other rounds. (When I catch them)

The muse pic on stage works well, lots of little bites in the commentary. The only pic that isn’t handled really well here is the tree pic. It feels a little tacked on, but the language surrounding it really disguises it.

Those green eyes staring at him after the axe blow really was a stellar moment. One of the big disadvantages that a writer in these competitions gets is a bunch of fantasy geeks as an audience. This can hurt if you tread too lightly and hurt of you press too hard. This was just enough.

The threads resonate as a “playable” or “Real” world, strong stuff.

Judgement- [sblock] Orchid Blossom just keeps getting better. Watching her improve as a writer has been a ball. However, Mythago is the elephant in the room.

OB could have taken her story through almost any round, but not against this particular Mythago tale. My vote goes to Mythago[/sblock]

Maldur:

Mythago vs Orchid Blossem

It seems Clay's pictures promote dark stories, I wonder what his favourite
writer is:)

Mythago, desperation seems to be the main emotion in your story, the failure
of the various scientists, and the inabilty of the main character to bring
back his friends. All make a very bleak story. And I too want irising doors,
with "whoosh" sounds.

Orchid, Your story is not bleak because everything goes wrong, but more in
the way the "enviroment"is presented, on a second reading, it is not as
dark. As the detective can solve the "problems" of the story, with only one
bullet, and one swipe of an axe.

Judgement- [sblock]My vote goes for Mythago, orchid story is not ready, While Mythago's story
felt "complete".[/sblock]

Decision- [sblock] Mythago takes the finals2-0[/sblock]

Empress

First Post
Seems I finished reading the two stories just in time for judgement! :)

I've got a question, though: What if the judges had decided on different stories? Would there have been a draw? Sorry if this was addressed elsewhere, but just yesterday I became curious enough to read this thread. I read the first post or two to know what it's about, and then the stories.

Anyway, I enjoyed the stories, both of them. I think I liked "Divine Hands" a wee bit better, though, simply because the background of it captured my imagination. Inspiration gone wrong - so that's what happened to Hieronymus Bosch! Though "Otherworld" was much more dream-like, with its flashbacks and everything.

Maybe I'll read some of the other stories, now, but just in case: When's the next contest going to be? :)

Oh, and congratulations to the winner!

alsih2o

First Post
Empress said:
I've got a question, though: What if the judges had decided on different stories? Would there have been a draw?

No draws aloud. :)

We USUALLY have 3 judges. We had some extenuating circumstances this last week or so. :)

Next one is whenever Bard Stephen Fox wishes. He is runnign it. :)

Hellefire

First Post
Congrats Mythago!

And great job OB!

Please let me know where/when sign-ups for next one will be, when that is decided.
But for now I think Mythago should have a few minutes to bask in his win!

Aaron

BSF

Explorer
Hey folks!
Yeah, I am running the next one. I do want to give some downtime between contests this time around. I sense that many of us are a little tired and the downtime will be a good refresher. I am predisposed to a May contest. That will keep it in Spring, and give folks a month or so before even thinking about writing under pressure.

I want/need to rewrite some of the FAQ material. There have already been some good suggestions in other threads that I will be trying to mine for ideas. If anybody has more ideas, speak up. I need to finish off some menus. I need to create a freaky picture library. :)

As far as exactly when the next Ceramic DM will kick off, I can't tell you yet. But for everyone that wants to know, I strongly encourage you to check the Ceramic DM FAQ for Fiction thread. I will announce about a week before sign-ups begin in that thread. If you click on "Thread Tools" and choose to subscribe to the thread, then choose notifications daily or weekly, you will know when the sign-up thread will appear. My plan is to give everyone around a week notice for sign-ups, then a few days or more during sign-ups before we actually begin.

Any other questions or thoughts? Feel free to share. :)

Remove ads