30th Level Adventure in the next DUNGEON mag!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Just so it doesn't seem like I'm randomly blustering about my players:

Frenzied Berserker charges with his oversized greatsword full Power Attack and hits guaranteed, dealing (4d6+2d6+22+60+7) so over 100 damage, 200 damage if he crits, which the crazy bugger probably does, since he has Mat Cauthonesque luck with random numbers and dice (and apparently not just in D&D, his nomination of me was randomly chosen for the ENWorld GM's Day contest, for instance). Then the Archmage uses Metamagic Rods, Mastery of Elements, and more to shoot out a Sonic Polar Ray that automatically hits AC 23 and beats SR 15 and deals 62.5*6=375 damage. Dead level 45 dude :(.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Erik Mona said:
Perhaps they should up their order?
Probably, but the owners don't really know a lot about D&D. Their magazine sales are spastic and they don't keep track of what's coming, so they can't plan ahead of time.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Oh, and forgive me if I am sounding confrontational about the level 45 characters; I don't mean to be so. I'm just curious as to how they can possibly survive. Then again, perhaps it simply proves my point that by this level, everything needs to be worked out and balanced case-by-case, and thus any prewritten level 30 adventure will probably be too strong or too weak for different groups, even if all of them are level 30.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Rystil Arden said:
Oh, and forgive me if I am sounding confrontational about the level 45 characters; I don't mean to be so. I'm just curious as to how they can possibly survive. Then again, perhaps it simply proves my point that by this level, everything needs to be worked out and balanced case-by-case, and thus any prewritten level 30 adventure will probably be too strong or too weak for different groups, even if all of them are level 30.
That's why a lot of people don't play really high level games -- balance is a lot sketchier.

In my experience, I've found that epic level play tends to take one of two paths. The first path is the one my group uses, going for well-rounded and balanced characters that stay true to the original character concept. The second path is the one a lot of gamers tend think of when epic is mentioned. Characters here have one or two super stats that are extremely high and have one or two focused abilities that do massive damage in an attempt to be the ideal min/max machine. Of the two, I prefer the first. Makes for more interesting roleplay. :)

Arnwyn

First Post
Aethelstan said:
My problem with epic levels is the sheer volume of work it takes as a DM to prep a 20+ level adventure. A stat block on a 22nd level wizard can take forever to do.
Absolutely. That's why I really look forward to high level adventures (15+) in Dungeon, and am always hoping for epic level adventures. My PCs aren't there yet, but the players want to get there.
ColonelHardisson said:
As far as I know, there are no epic level adventures for 3e/d20.
There are, at least two of them so far (both in Dungeon mag). This will be the third.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
I'm just thinking, even without min-maxing, at 45th level I would hope my character has the equipment to get his AC at least well into the 40s.

For Kosh, I would recommend getting rid of the Periapt of Proof Against Poison and getting an Amulet of Natural Armor +5 (Or higher if the DM allows it). With his 36 Fort save, I wouldn't be blowing an item slot on something that guards against poison.

Remove ads