Thread Recompilation - Places

LogicsFate

First Post
Discussion - Deity Format and Cosmology

At the time of this thread several God were given homes on the Great Wheel, but since the GW is not SRD Knight Otu suggest thes as...

A potential planar setup, a bit "wheely", a bit odd:

A ring of Elemental planes (Air-Fire-Earth-Water-Air, with the appropriate in-between planes). The Material Plane is the "center" of the ring. From each plane, "whirls" of elemental power tainted with positive/negative energy "drop" to:

The Energy Plane, a combination of Positive and Negative Energy plane. Within this plane, streams of one energy "chase" and move the Center (maybe enormous citadels) of the other energy. Streams that hit the Center move it, and are converted into the opposing energy (think ying-yan). A stream of matter connects this to:

The Outer Planes. Nine planes, one for each alignment (the stream of matter could turn into a mountain/pillar on the N plane). Each plane has some common themes, and maybe some kind of "entry layer", but several (possibly infinite) layers that can be reached by wanting to travel there. Layers farther from the common layers have less interest in Enworld, and turn progressively stranger.

El Jefe

First Post
(Adventure) A Tidy Profit...[Uriel:Judging]

This was our first look at the docks of Orussus. Here's what the thread contained:

• The streets of Orussus are lit by streetlights at night. People are hired to light them.
Here is Jack Haggerty's description of the waterfront:

The docks and their surrounding environs are decidedly more shabby, decrepit and delapidated than the rest of Orussus. With the sun going down, the streets are dim and the roads are muddy from the previous day's rain. Buildings seem to consist mostly of taverns, inns, chandlers' stores, shipwrights' shops and warehouses... Everything catering to the sailor and merchant. Occasionally, men and women of all manner of description in worn clothing of all manner of description stand aside to watch from alleys and doorways as you pass. You can almost feel their mildly suspicious glances as you walk through the streets toward the harbour.

Emerging out into the docks and harbour proper, you can see a handful of large ships at dock. They seem to be secured and waiting the high tide, as none of them show much activity. Farther down, smaller local fishing boats can be seen tidied up to pilings or beached on the strand. On a short jetty close to the docks, stands a small shack hung with coils of rope, chain and netting. Hanging outside the door of the shack, a sign depicting an anchor and a ship's wheel sways in the slight breeze, creaking quietly.​
The rest of the thread contained the following information:

• The harbor of Orussus has a long stone jetty.
  • An alley is visible from the far end of the docks.
  • The pier at harbor of Orussus is about 120 feet long, with an iron ladder at the end leading down to the water.
  • There is a monarchy named Falloon somewhere in Living ENWorld.
  • The pier at Orussus is fairly tidy, but objects such as coils of tarred rope, boat hooks, and water barrels can be found there.
  • A typical room at the Red Dragon Inn is furnished with two cots, two footlockers, two chairs, a table and a lantern. It may have a window.
  • The death penalty does exist in Orussus for some crimes.

El Jefe

First Post
(Adventure) Hunt for the Cirya de Pietro [Judge - garyh]

This was something different...a sea adventure, complete with gunpowder weapons!

GnomeWorks’ description of Orussus’s docks is similar to Jack Haggerty’s:
The region surrounding the docks seems to be of lesser quality than the rest of Orussus. The buildings are slightly shabbier, more crowded; streetside beggars are a slightly more common sight here. The rainfall has made small muddy puddles in the road, though they are few enough that you can step around them.

The shops here seem more geared towards ships, as would be expected, though there are only a handful interspersed between a multitude of taverns. No merchants hawk their wares here, though you can occassionally hear laughter from a tavern as you pass by.

Asking a man dressed in rough clothing for Jericho, he points towards the docks, apparently further along the road you're on.

You travel on for a short time, and eventually reach the docks themselves. Several large ships sit in port, though you can see little movement on them; the rest of the place seems almost deserted, though every now and then you see or hear someone passing by.

On your left there is a small, though wellkept shop, with a sign hanging above the door: Jericho's Repairs.​
Some other nuggets gleaned from the adventure:
  • There are rusty nails near the entrance to Jericho’s shop.
  • The front room of Jericho’s shop is almost filled by a round table and a half-dozen chairs. A wide door leads to a larger workshop in back. Many rusted nails stud the walls.
  • Common trade goods in Orussus are furs, food and lumber.
  • The port at Travilis accepts both pirate and merchant ships. All ships berthing must pay 3 gold, and the captain is expected to sign a ledger with his name and the name of his ship.
  • The harbormaster at Travilis occupies a small shack at the end of the docks. Repairs can be arranged for any ship, no questions asked.

El Jefe

First Post
(Discussion) LEW Chronology

Hmm. This thread had no new location information in it. On the other hand, several locations that have already been mentioned (Momenvasia, Fallon, etc.) were discussed in the thread.

I think the entire matter of establishing a LEW Chronology is a worthwhile endeavor, and that thread should probably be resurrected. Just my $0.02.

El Jefe

First Post
(Discussion) Character Points Change Issue

As you might imagine, there was no significant location information in this thread.

I do find it a little odd, though, that although a majority of the poll respondants indicated that they'd like to increase the number of points available to buy ability stats, no proposal was ever submitted to do that. Personally, I don't see any pressing need for such a proposal, and I suppose the poll respondants must have felt the same way.

Knight Otu

First Post
El Jefe said:
As you might imagine, there was no significant location information in this thread.

I do find it a little odd, though, that although a majority of the poll respondants indicated that they'd like to increase the number of points available to buy ability stats, no proposal was ever submitted to do that. Personally, I don't see any pressing need for such a proposal, and I suppose the poll respondants must have felt the same way.

There was actually a formal proposal on it - http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=90597
I don't think I'd vote yes, to be honest. And by now, the 30 point buy is pretty much established, I don't think it would be worthwhile to shuffle that around. If there should ever be more Living Campaigns on EN World (the forum, not the world), 32 might become the standard.

And I agree, the chronology should be resurrected.

El Jefe

First Post
Ok, I think I've got it figured out now. LogicsFate reviewed the proposal thread, so it didn't stick in my mind as much as if I'd reviewed it myself. Also, the proposal thread ran from 6/8/04 to 6/14/04, and the poll thread ran from 6/11/04 to 6/27/04. So, the discussion migrated early from the proposal thread to the poll thread, and although the poll was somewhat decisive, no real decision was ever made in either thread.

I agree with both your reasoning and conclusion about resurrecting that proposal.

El Jefe

First Post
(Judge) The Archivomatic

Although there were lots of links and references to geographical information in this thread, there was no actual information here.

El Jefe

First Post
(Discussion) Map?

Well, you'd have thought there would be all sorts of geographical information in a thread with this name, but there wasn't any. It was all just discussion of when the map project would be completed, and what state it was in at the moment.

And after all that, there was just one sketch in the last post of the thread. Moreover, I don't think that sketch is directly usable, as the scale seems to be way, way off (the map was of a world 2,000 miles in diameter, whereas EnWorld is 25,000 miles in diameter).

If that thread was the end of it, the map effort seemed to just fade away to nothing, after much ballyhoo in this thread and one other.

El Jefe

First Post
(Adventure) A Merry Chase * Judge: Uriel

There were lots of adventure locations in this thread, and at first glance you might think there was much location information here. But almost all of it was very generic...there is a village here, a temple there, a ruined farmhouse over yonder. All of this stuff could exist almost anywhere within a day or two's march from the mountains that mark the southern border of Earling.

As for specific information, it all boiled down to this:
  • Near the southern border of Earling, the road to Rivenblight has many good spots for an ambush in one 15-mile stretch.
  • There is an establishment in the lands of Earling called the Baying Mare.
That's it! If all that seems pretty sketchy, then I guess it's testimony to just how generic and vague it is possible to be when describing the setting of an adventure.

Remove ads