Collaborative Cave!

Elephant

First Post
der_kluge said:
Heh, that choker has more hit points than a CR 8 green dragon!

Wow. I didn't realize that as I was creating the statblock. Should I perhaps drop a couple of the sorcerer levels?

Elephant

First Post
Room 2a:

This description covers both of the rough stone hallways leading deeper into the cave from the shelf above the chasm.

Eastern Tunnel:

This passageway is between 10 and 15 feet tall from the point where the tunnel splits all the way to Room 6. There are holes in the ceiling leading to another (Search check DC 25), wider passage above.

Getting into the upper passage requires either flight or a DC 14 Use Rope check with a grappling hook. The terrain there is treated as Difficult; the dragon flies through that tunnel rather than deal with the traps in the lower passage.

Traps (EL 5):

Razor-Wire across Hallway
CR 1; mechanical; location trigger; no reset; Atk +10 melee (2d6, wire); multiple targets (first target in each of two adjacent 5-ft. squares); Search DC 22; Disable Device DC 15.

This trap is located in the square 5 feet into the passage from the point where the tunnel splits. It is anchored to points that are roughly east-west of each other.

Camouflaged Pit Trap with Acid at the bottom
CR 4; mechanical; automatic reset; DC 20 Reflex save avoids; 20 ft. deep (2d6, fall plus 1d6 per round, acid puddle); multiple targets (first target in each of two adjacent 5-ft. squares); Search DC 24; Disable Device DC 19.

This trap is located 10 feet to the northeast of the razor wire, just after the passage widens. There are two bypass buttons (Search DC 25, three feet off the ground on the right-hand side) located on each end of the trapped passageway. Each bypass button temporarily disables both traps for 1 minute (by relaxing the tension on the wire and extending a brace underneath the trapdoor).

DM's Note: The kobolds use the bypass button to avoid injury while attending to their duties.

South Passage (EL 8):

As the tunnel widens, the ceiling ranges from 20 to 30 feet above.

The tunnel narrows in two points before splitting again to go to Rooms 3 and 5. The narrower portion is untrapped, but the wider bottleneck has a 10x10' pressure plate that activates

Acid Arrow Trap
CR 8; magic device; touch trigger (pressure-sensitive floor plate, requires over 150 lbs. of weight to set off); automatic reset; multiple traps (two simultaneous acid arrow traps); Atk +9 ranged touch and +9 ranged touch; spell effect (acid arrow, 18th-level wizard, 2d4 acid damage for 7 rounds); Search DC 27; Disable Device DC 27.

DM's Note: The kobolds fail to set this trap off because of their small size and light weight. Whenever they come through this tunnel, they make sure that they stay at least 10 feet apart to avoid going over the weight threshold on the trap. The dragons, being immune to acid, don't care that they activate the trap every time they come through this tunnel.

Elephant

First Post
der_kluge said:
Yea, maybe. He could still open with ray of enfeeblement.

I weakened his tactics instead and added some notes about relatively easy ways the party could get him in melee. I also marked it as EL 10; if the choker grabs the arcane PC, that character's death is likely in 1-2 rounds. If, OTOH, he picks on the rogue, he'll have a harder time even hitting, so he'll do less Power Attack damage.

Does that seem more fair? I could weaken the encounter even more by hiding him behind a stalagmite in the middle of the room - he'll grab a PC, and then the others can easily flank him. That seems like it might be going TOO far though.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Elephant said:
I weakened his tactics instead and added some notes about relatively easy ways the party could get him in melee. I also marked it as EL 10; if the choker grabs the arcane PC, that character's death is likely in 1-2 rounds. If, OTOH, he picks on the rogue, he'll have a harder time even hitting, so he'll do less Power Attack damage.

Does that seem more fair? I could weaken the encounter even more by hiding him behind a stalagmite in the middle of the room - he'll grab a PC, and then the others can easily flank him. That seems like it might be going TOO far though.

Yea, that's good. We'll need to playtest it.

I added a section 2a to the map, and assigned you to it.

Elephant

First Post
Re: post 84:

Delightfully nasty is right. I love how the younger one lurks in the water, waiting to ambush his victims.

Would it be unfair to say that the Choker will use Ghost Sound (or Dancing Lights) to alert the dragons when he fights someone?

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
der_kluge said:
The problem with that is that the "parent" would leave a large horde of treasure around unguarded. So, you'd essentially be giving the PCs a lot of high level loot without the work.

I like it fine as is - two young siblings. If you kill them, the mother might still come looking for you, but she probably lives elsewhere.

Hmm perhaps this whole complex is a 'Nursery' were Ferix and Artix were birthed/layed and then left by their mother. It might be interesting to explore the psychology of juvinile dragons in this encounter.

Do juvinile dragons play? What interests a teenage Dragon like Ferix? Will the complex have signs of dragon-ish 'toys' - and exactly what do Dragons play with?

The Mad Halfling on the Island suggested earlier might just be such a play thing - perhaps Artix keeps it as a pet, Ferrix wants to kill it but doesn't out of her love(?) for her younger brother.

Perhaps Ghzzdit the Choker is the Nanny charged with looking after the pair

Perhaps the PCs will come across a stange arrangement of rocks piled on upon the other with fragments of bone, skulls, crystal and plant material deliberately placed upon the structure. Deep grooves are gouged into the sides of the base stone whilst the stones upon it seem to form a rough pyramid-like structure. (Lurking here is a few giant spiders OR rats OR etc

The PCs could spend hours pondering what the strange structure means - and all the time it was Artix playing with his blocks:)

Remove ads