Collaborative Cave!

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Well, I'm lame and just now saw this post again after a long period of forgetfulness. So if my room hasn't already been handed off to someone else, I'll try to get my ideas back together and post them soon. Honest. If my room has been auctioned off to the highest bidder, then I completely understand!

Haven

der_kluge

Adventurer
Shieldhaven said:
Well, I'm lame and just now saw this post again after a long period of forgetfulness. So if my room hasn't already been handed off to someone else, I'll try to get my ideas back together and post them soon. Honest. If my room has been auctioned off to the highest bidder, then I completely understand!

Haven

SH - that was room #10. Yea, I've redone it. You can see the new version here if you like.

http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=3028248&postcount=238

Ilium

First Post
der_kluge said:
Actually, I like the rooms as they are now. I think Rogers room works just fine for room 11, and your new version works very well for room 4.
Cool. Sorry it took me so long to get it done.

Ilium

First Post
Der_kluge: I know you're planning to put this in a PDF eventually, which will be awesome. But I have another format idea I've been kicking around and with your permission I'd like to try that out in parallel. Obviously I'll post it on EN World for everybody, but it's an experiment that I'll be looking for feedback on, and not "ready for prime time".

der_kluge

Adventurer
Ilium said:
Der_kluge: I know you're planning to put this in a PDF eventually, which will be awesome. But I have another format idea I've been kicking around and with your permission I'd like to try that out in parallel. Obviously I'll post it on EN World for everybody, but it's an experiment that I'll be looking for feedback on, and not "ready for prime time".

You're wanting to put the collaborate cave in this new format? Go for it!

Ilium

First Post
der_kluge said:
You're wanting to put the collaborate cave in this new format? Go for it!
Cool, thanks! Not sure when I'll get around to it, but it should be some time in the next week or two. I don't want people to rely on me, though. We've seen how well that goes. :)

Elephant

First Post
Errant apostrophes removed. Also, what's up with the un-choker-like tactics? The SRD says they like to ambush the *last* guy in line, not the first one.

Of course, it also says they like to work alone, but a single CR 4 (or should it be 5? I'm not sure anymore) creature just wouldn't be proper for a level 8 group.

#7, Chokers' Lair (EL 6)

Traps: None

As you reach the top of this incline, the tunnel widens into a broader cavern, roughly 20' by 30' across. The smell of decay assaults your nostrils, and you see a pile of bones scattered haphazardly across the jagged stone floor. A gleam of metal in the flickering light from your torch catches your eye. The uneven floor pokes uncomfortably at your boots as you step forward.

Room Notes: While the jagged floor is uncomfortable to walk on, it does not have any mechanical effects on movement. It does, however, increase falling damage by 1d6 (falling 10 feet causes 2d6 damage, etc). The roof of the cavern is 20' up near the edges of the room, but there is one "chimney" about 10' in diameter leading up 20' to the top. The chimney may be reached with a DC 25 Climb check from any point in the cavern due to the irregular structure of the rocks in this chamber.

Even if the PCs have Darkvision, the chokers have a good enough ambush position that they remain hidden. It takes a DC 26 Spot check to notice them before they attack the party.

If the PCs are bearing lights, the chokers automatically follow their progress through the room. They will only need to roll Spot and Listen checks if they are scouting in complete darkness.

Ghzzdit & Ghzzdot, Advanced Chokers
Size/Type: Medium Aberration
Hit Dice: 12d8+36 (85 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft. (4 squares), climb 10 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+18
Attack: Tentacle +15 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 tentacles +15 melee (1d6+5)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, constrict 1d6+5
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., quickness
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +9
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 4, Wis 14, Cha 7
Skills: Climb +16, Hide +16, Listen +2, Move Silently +9, Spot +2
Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack, Lightning Reflexes, Skill Focus (Hide), Stealthy, Weapon Focus (Tentacle)
Challenge Rating: 4
Alignment: chaotic evil

Ghzzdit and Ghzzdot lurk above the entrance to this chamber, 10 ft above the cave floor. They takes 10 on their Hide checks for a total of 26 in order to better ambush prey. Unless the PCs take extraordinary measures to avoid detection, they wait here to ambush them when they arrive.

Constrict (Ex): A choker deals 1d3+3 points of damage with a successful grapple check against a Large or smaller creature. Because it seizes its victim by the neck, a creature in the choker’s grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a choker must hit a Large or smaller opponent with a tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict. Chokers receive a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks, which is already included in the statistics block.

Quickness (Su): Although not particularly dexterous, a choker is supernaturally quick. It can take an extra standard action or move action during its turn each round.

Skills: A chokers has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Tactics: The chokers make no distinction with regards to their prey. They attack the two first PCs who come within attack range. Once a victim is grappled, the chokers will attempt to haul their victims up to a shelf hidden within their chimney. The chokers will need to make successful strength checks in order to accomplish this, otherwise, they will release their victims.

DM's Notes: PCs with reach weapons may attack the chokers normally as long as they are on the ceiling. Otherwise, a DC 20 Jump check will allow any PC to get close enough to strike. If the choker's move up their chimney (with or without a victim) they will be out of melee range. A DC 25 Climb check will allow a PC to climb up onto the chokers' ambush shelf.

Treasure: A rusty dagger, a tattered pair of hard-soled red leather shoes and a gold ring (225gp) are all that can be found amongst the bones. If Mending or Make Whole is cast on the shoes, they become worth 25gp.

Background Note: The dragon's slaves regularly sweep the chamber for treasure; all the gear of Ghzzdit's past victims now lies in the dragon's treasure pile, except for the items noted above.

Contributor: Brian "the Elephant" Thompson

der_kluge

Adventurer
Elephant said:
Errant apostrophes removed. Also, what's up with the un-choker-like tactics? The SRD says they like to ambush the *last* guy in line, not the first one.

Of course, it also says they like to work alone, but a single CR 4 (or should it be 5? I'm not sure anymore) creature just wouldn't be proper for a level 8 group.

My bad. Feel free to alter the tactics however you like.

der_kluge

Adventurer
11: Fog and Death (EL 9)

As you descend the narrow twisting passage into this chamber, you find yourself confronted by a thick, dense bank of acrid fog.

While the dragons have been occupying this cave system, small amounts of the corrosive gas they exhale in area 8 finds its way here where it has become trapped.

Treat this as a permanent acid fog trap which cannot be dispelled or disabled. Due to the geometry of the chamber, even strong winds cannot disperse the vapors.

Natural Acid Fog Trap
CR 7; magic device; no trigger (always active); simulated spell effect (acid fog, 2d6/round acid); Search DC n/a; Disable Device --.

As a method of enforcing obedience among the kodolds, or perhaps just for their cruel amusement, the dragons occasionally order offenders to be bound and thrown into the room. Their deaths are agonizing as the acid dissolves their bodies. The first death here spawned a shadow who in turn has killed two other victims abandoned here. Now there are five shadows in the area.

Kobold Shadows, 5
Size/Type:
Small Undead (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 3d12 (19 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: Fly 30 ft. (good) (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+3 Dex, +1 size, +1 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/—
Attack: Incorporeal touch +4 melee (1d4 Str)
Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +4 melee (1d4 Str)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Create spawn, strength damage
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., incorporeal traits, +2 turn resistance, undead traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 0, Dex 16, Con 0, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 13
Skills: Hide +12, Listen +7, Search +4, Spot +7
Feats: Alertness, Dodge
Challenge Rating: 2
Alignment: Chaotic evil

Strength Damage (Su): The touch of a kobold shadow deals 1d4 points of Strength damage to a living foe. A creature reduced to Strength 0 by a shadow dies. This is a negative energy effect.

Create Spawn (Su): Any humanoid reduced to Strength 0 by a shadow becomes a shadow under the control of its killer within 1d4 rounds.

Tactics: The shadows lack any sort of real tactics, and simply move in to attack the first subject into the room. If more than one subject enters a room, the one who is damaged the most on the first round is the subject to all of their attacks on the second. Since the acid fog here damages them as well, they don’t typically linger more than two rounds, and flee into the safety of the walls afterwards.

Treasure: Amidst the rubble on the floor here lie the pitted, decayed remains of several kobold victims. There are ragged remains of clothes, bones and ruined baubles amidst the dirt and rocks here. There are however, a few things here which are still intact. A modest DC 18 Search check will reveal them. A potion of Gaseous Form, a Ring of Counterspells (with the spell dispel magic placed into it), and an Elixir of Hiding.

Contributor: Roger Carbol.

Last edited:

Remove ads