Victorian Eberron (Recruiting Closed - looking for nonamazing)

Jemal

Adventurer
drothgery - She doesn't view herself so much as an assassin, but a "righter of wrongs". The brothel is full of assassins, and while they've trained her in their ways, she hasn't really the heart to kill in cold blood. One of the main reasons she sought out Father Mikel to counsel her was that she couldn't stand what she was doing anymore.
I guess you could call her a kind of Ex-Assassin. (Mechanically she's basically a finesseful fighter)

Also, Evolution's background hits me as more of a Spy than an Assassin, nothing in there about being hired to kill.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Like Jemal said, more I see Grant as more of a spy. I think he'll also fufill the face role very well to boot. He is a decent melee combatant as well. Nobody knows of a tactical or weapon style feat using a sword and a gun do they?

Einan

First Post
Much obliged, ser. I'll work on equipment and get it ready.

Let me get the Masterwork idea straight. We pay the cost for a +1 magical weapon, only it's called masterwork instead, right?

Thank ye kindly.
Horace

drothgery

First Post
Solarious said:
This campaign sounds interesting. I liked Eberron for the magic-as-technology feel, but I'm also interested in a Victorian-like setting (you can blame Girl Genius for that).

Since you guys have a dearth of spellcasters (which is highly unusual), I'll throw in a full caster, probably a Dread Necromancer. I would have done Healer, because everyone needs a healer, but I don't have the minis book to use from. ;)

I'll type up a mechanics-only distillation of the modified healer in this game this evening; it's possible for a Dread Necromancer to avoid sliding into evil (and easier in this game than in HoH standard, because the lich transformation is not a class feature, and I'm not using taint/depravity rules), but it's really, really hard.

Solarious said:
The temptation to play a TWF gunslinger is great though. :p

I'm not entirely sure they're all that practical without semiautomatics and large magazines; you run out of bullets fast with only twelve shots before a reload. But having played one in a modern game -- yeah, they're fun :).

drothgery

First Post
Einan said:
Much obliged, ser. I'll work on equipment and get it ready.

Let me get the Masterwork idea straight. We pay the cost for a +1 magical weapon, only it's called masterwork instead, right?

Thank ye kindly.
Horace

Close.
Masterwork weapons are the same as described in the PHB.
+1 mastercraft melee weapons cost the same as +1 magic weapons in the DMG, and provide a bonus to hit and to damage (though unless they're beshyk, they don't overcome DR/magic)
Same goes for +2 and +3 mastercraft melee weapons.

For ranged weapons, the cost of mastercraft enhancement is halved, but it only improves the bonus to hit. Since this makes a +1 mastercraft ranged weapon about the same as a masterwork weapon, +1 mastercraft weapons are rare (but not unheard of, because of other factors).
For ammo, the cost of mastercraft enhancement is halved, but it only improves the bonus to damage.

Mastercraft weapons and ammo are capable of being further enhanced magically or alchemically despite not having an enhancement bonus.

Solarious

Explorer
drothgery said:
I'll type up a mechanics-only distillation of the modified healer in this game this evening; it's possible for a Dread Necromancer to avoid sliding into evil (and easier in this game than in HoH standard, because the lich transformation is not a class feature, and I'm not using taint/depravity rules), but it's really, really hard.
I was thinking about an elf who follows the path to the greatest arcane power, as elves tend to, and reconnects with his/her ancestors in the City of the Dead (represented with the feat Right to Council, which has much more potential power in this game owing to a magically-starved Eberron ;)). Necromancy has almost always been an elven speciality, and the use of offensive necromatic powers has never been taboo amongst the Aereni; although raising negatively-charged undead is. It does cut into a DN's overall potency to not be able to summon or create undead, but this is the only real full caster around... Archivist, while flexible, is extremely scroll-dependant for more spells, and can only learn Cleric spells on their own.

drothgery said:
I'm not entirely sure they're all that practical without semiautomatics and large magazines; you run out of bullets fast with only twelve shots before a reload. But having played one in a modern game -- yeah, they're fun :).
It's more practical than TWFing hand crossbows. :lol: It's probably a little better than you think, with 2-3 rounds of flying bullets, a round of reloading and taking mad cover, then more blasting. Or, use spare guns with Quick Draw. :p

But really, it's more for the style factor than anything else.

EvolutionKB

First Post
drothgery,

I had another idea for a character, let me know which you like better. A human hexblade who is former criminal, trying to repent for his deeds by working for the church. A melee combatant, who uses fear, intimidation, as well as the hexblades curse and his blade. He'd be a suitable debuffer as well, focusing on hindering his enemies more than hurting them. Does the extra spell feat let you pick a spell from any list to add to your own?

drothgery

First Post
When I looked at the healer again, I realized that most of her class abilities
made very little sense once I changed her into a warmage-style spontaneous
caster. So I've almost completely rebuilt the healer's class abilities.

alignment: any nonevil
hit dice: d8
skill points: 4/level
class skills: concentration, craft, diplomacy, handle animal,
knowledge(nature), knowledge(religion), profession, sense motive,
spellcraft, survival
class defense bonus: poor
weapon and armor proficiency: simple weapons, no armor
spells: healers spontaneously cast any spell on their list, in the
manner of the dread necromancer or warmage

Code:
level	bab	fort	ref	will	special			spells per day
1	0	2	0	2	healing hands,		4/3
					turn undead
2	1	3	0	3	skill focus(heal)	4/4
3	1	3	1	3	advanced learninging	5/4/3
4	2	4	1	4	effortless healing	5/4/4
5	2	4	1	4	-			5/5/4/3
6	3	5	2	5	advanced learning 	5/5/4/4
7	3	5	2	5	-			6/5/5/4/3
8	4	6	2	6	bonus feat		6/5/5/4/4
9	4	6	3	6	-			6/6/5/5/4/3
10	5	7	3	7	-			6/6/5/5/4/4
11	5	7	3	7	advanced learning	6/6/6/5/5/4/3
12	6	8	4	8	-			6/6/6/5/5/4/4
13	6	8	4	8	-			6/6/6/6/5/5/4/3
14	7	9	4	9	bonus feat		6/6/6/6/5/5/4/4
15	7	9	5	9	-			6/6/6/6/6/5/5/4/3
16	8	10	5	10	Advanced learning	6/6/6/6/6/5/5/4/4
17	8	10	5	10	-			6/6/6/6/6/6/5/5/4/3
18	9	11	6	11	bonus feat		6/6/6/6/6/6/5/5/4/4
19	9	11	6	11	-			6/6/6/6/6/6/5/5/5/4
20	10	12	6	12	advanced learning	6/6/6/6/6/6/5/5/5/4

healing hands (ex): whenever a healer casts a spell that cures hit point damage,
she adds her Cha modifier to the amount of damage healed. This only applies to
healer spells.
skill focus(heal): if the healer already has this feat, choose a different one.
advanced learning: each time she gains this ability, the healer can add one spell
to her list from the Good, Protection, or Sun domains; this spell can be a level
no higher than the highest-level spell she can cast
effortless healing (ex): casting conjuration[healing] spells does not provoke
an AoO. This only applies to healer spells.
bonus feat: choose one of the following feats - augment healing#, empower turning#,
quicken turning#, disciple of the sun#, sacred boost#, sacred healing#,
extra turning, improved turning, iron will, brew potion, font of life^,
indominatable soul2, ritual blessing2, divine fortune2, divine ward2,
sacred radiance2

# complete divine, ^ Heroes of Horror,2 PHB 2

healer spell list
* spell is in the Mini's handbook (also in Spell Compendium)
0: create water, cure minor wounds, deathwatch, detect magic, detect poision,
light, mending, purify food and drink, read magic
1: bless water, cure light wounds, goodberry, protection from evil, remove fear,
remove paralysis, sanctuary, speak with animals
2: calm emotions, cure moderate wounds, delay poison, gentle repose,
remove blindness/deafness, remove disease, lesser restoration
3: close wounds*, create food and water, cure serious wounds, neutralize poison,
remove curse, restoration, status
4: cure critical wounds, death ward, freedom of movement, mass cure light wounds,
panacea*
5: atonement, break enchantment, mass cure moderate wounds, raise dead,
revivify*, stone to flesh, true seeing
6: greater restoration, heal, heroes' feast, mass cure serious wounds, regenerate
7: mass cure critical wounds, repulsion, resurrection
8: discern location, holy aura, mass heal
9: foresight, gate, true resurrection

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
Solarious said:
I was thinking about an elf who follows the path to the greatest arcane power, as elves tend to, and reconnects with his/her ancestors in the City of the Dead (represented with the feat Right to Council, which has much more potential power in this game owing to a magically-starved Eberron ;)).

Hmm... that could work.

Remove ads