City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouvere

Explorer
"And not a few half-truths," says Keldar, but so softly that only those with exceptional ears might hear [Listen DC 20?]. "Well, mesdames Rapture and Rinya, you might be surprised to hear that there is a song of my time with the Merfolk." He throws Galwynn and Ciprinus, who appears to have fallen asleep, sidelong looks. "Kurgahz, forgive me. Phyrah, praise me." He hops up onto a stool, and begins to sing for a second time.

Off the old coast road from Ravensdale town,
You might meet an outlaw of fame and renown.
Though armed with a crossbow, he never takes aim,
His mercy and kindness just heighten his fame.
He’s gallant and brave and handsome as heck
As he stands in the sea right up to his neck.
When travellers pass, he feigns to be drowning
But you who try rescue will find that he’s clowning.
He leaps from the surf with soaking wet shirt,
Exclaiming "Keep calm, no one needs to be hurt!"
"Now, don’t be hasty," he says with a smile,
"Why don’t you join me and stay for a while?
"I’m sure I can offer you all a good time.
"I have dried fish and salt water wine."
"Though it pains me to argue, I must be insistent.
"Ah, here she is now, my charming assistant."
From beneath the water, leaving great ripples,
Swims a fish-girl with seaweed on her… head.
"Travellers, I beg you, don’t be dismayed,
"Though I’m scaly and green, I’m just a mermaid.
"Keldar, my dear, our guests who are staying -
"Have they decided the fee they’ll be paying?”
And then, of a sudden, what you took to be seals,
Turns out to be Merfolk, supported on wheels,
Rolling at speed o’er the dunes of the beach
To leave you surrounded as they stop with a screech.
Though carrying tridents and crossbows of coral,
These Merfolk bandits are not looking to quarrel.
Instead for the visitor, there’s wine, music and song,
And firelight merriment all the night long,
But when the sun rises, then payment is due
For the welcome of Keldar and his watery crew.
"Your wagons are laden with all kinds of supplies,
"You can spare some I’m sure – now that would be wise.
"Tell me, my friends, what’s in those kegs?"
Asks Keldar of the Merfolk, the first one with legs!

Wik

First Post
Galwyn groans inwardly and considers throwing a mug at Keldar's head - he decides against it, but it takes a few seconds. He does chuckle a bit at the "Swims a Fish Girl with Seaweed on her head" line, and then does his best to cover it up with a stern expression.

Trouvere

Explorer
Wik said:
Galwyn groans inwardly and considers throwing a mug at Keldar's head - he decides against it, but it takes a few seconds. He does chuckle a bit at the "Swims a Fish Girl with Seaweed on her head" line, and then does his best to cover it up with a stern expression.
"Careful, Galwynn, your face might crack," says Keldar, hopping down from his stool. "You know, I think I will have a sea water wine, for old time's sake. Joe, could you stir two spoons of salt into a glass of one of your...er... less good vintages? And one for anyone else who wants to try!" Joe gives him an extremely doubtful look, but complies. Keldar swirls the wine in the glass, then downs it in one gulp. "Gah!" he exclaims. "It does remind me of my youth, but you never quite get used to it. Probably better as a salad dressing."

Solange

First Post
Rapture politely listens to the song and applauds delicately. "You can sing too."
Trouvere said:
"Careful, Galwynn, your face might crack," says Keldar, hopping down from his stool. "You know, I think I will have a sea water wine, for old time's sake. Joe, could you stir two spoons of salt into a glass of one of your...er... less good vintages? And one for anyone else who wants to try!" Joe gives him an extremely doubtful look, but complies. Keldar swirls the wine in the glass, then downs it in one gulp. "Gah!" he exclaims. "It does remind me of my youth, but you never quite get used to it. Probably better as a salad dressing."
"That's not how you enjoy wine Keldar, you sip it slowly, swirling it in your mouth with your tongue before you swallow. It lets you enjoy the true taste of the wine, and makes you look proper," Rapture nods, and then proceeds to demonstrate with a sip of the wine glass she's been nursing for a while. "Tis better with a freshly poured glass, but a good wine lasts for quite a while, and some get better when allowed to breathe."

Trouvere

Explorer
"I... uh... t-tongue-swirling? Could you um.. demonstrate again?" asks Keldar, somewhat dazed. "Though I think salt wine is best when not savoured. I am glad you appreciated my song. Galwynn, I think, has little ear for music. He was the only one not fulsome in his praise of my earlier performance, before you arrived. Paladins, eh? So tight-clenched it's a wonder when they stand up they don't all have chairs stuck to their- Um, do you sing at all?"

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
pendrake asks for one more ale befor leaving for a room and listens to the song, slight moving his mug to the tempo of the tale/song. he is take a drink when the line of the "mermaid with seaweed on her ... head is mentioned causing him to loose a snort and caugh in his ale. he wipes his face on the back of his sleeve and a boyish grin is revealed puncuated by a slight blushing as he imagins where the seaweed is not covering.

Solange

First Post
Rapture chuckles softly, "If you don't need to savor it, then you probably don't need a demonstration."

"As for singing, I've been told I have a lovely voice for it, but I was always busy training for ... other things. I do know a few songs of the freefolk, but nothing I'd sing myself."

"And what about Paladins? Is a warrior so devoted to something that he gives himself over to those ideals that bad? I find the thought alluring myself."

Trouvere

Explorer
Solange said:
"As for singing, I've been told I have a lovely voice for it, but I was always busy training for ... other things."
"Ah, yes, learning to handle a sword?" replies Keldar.
"I do know a few songs of the freefolk, but nothing I'd sing myself. And what about Paladins? Is a warrior so devoted to something that he gives himself over to those ideals that bad? I find the thought alluring myself."
"Oh, but they take themselves so seriously, and want others live up to their impossible standards." He leans in confidentially. "Take my friend Galwynn, paladin of Halina, here. Know why he's sitting morosely in the Dragon instead of out there defending farmers? None of them could ever plough a field in furrows straight enough for his liking!"

Wik

First Post
Galwyn grumbles underneath his breath, and shoots a glare at Keldar. "Careful there, fool. Fifty years ago, our village hung people like you." He cracks a sad smile.

Turning to Rapture, he calls out across the room, "Don't listen to him about paladins. He obviously gets his stories secondhand. And I'll have you know I do have an ear for music... I just haven't actually heard any since I got here."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads