Collaborative Cave #2 - Updated map (see 1st post) - Now doing room assignment

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
der_kluge said:
re: room 2

What are pixies doing here? How did the skum get them?

yeah thats what I was thinking too.

I suppose having pixies in the forest is an option, but with a pseudodragon familiar and a tribe of pixies hanging around this dungeon has gotten a whole lot easier - the aboleth hasn't got a chance...

Elephant

First Post
...or maybe these three (err, two) pixies are the last of their tribe - they've been hunted to near-extinction by the Skum.

der_kluge

Adventurer
How about this: Since pixies seem to be factoring into this (I think Elephant has pixies on the brain!), there is a pixie here captured - held in cold iron chains, living only by a thread - held for a dark ritual within the rooms in areas 12-15.

Pixies keep coming here searching for her, but to no avail. They're no match for the dark denizens of this place.

Why is the pixie queen held in captive? Through some unfortunate turn of events, the captors died, but their prisoner wasn't freed - she still remains a prisoner, frail but alive.

The queen was to be a sacrifice used to summon a dark version of a pixie - a member of the unseelie court - a dark lord of the unseelie court - trapped by the Sidhe eons ago.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
der_kluge said:
How about this: Since pixies seem to be factoring into this (I think Elephant has pixies on the brain!), there is a pixie here captured - held in cold iron chains, living only by a thread - held for a dark ritual within the rooms in areas 12-15.

Pixies keep coming here searching for her, but to no avail. They're no match for the dark denizens of this place.

Why is the pixie queen held in captive? Through some unfortunate turn of events, the captors died, but their prisoner wasn't freed - she still remains a prisoner, frail but alive.

The queen was to be a sacrifice used to summon a dark version of a pixie - a member of the unseelie court - a dark lord of the unseelie court - trapped by the Sidhe eons ago.

and thats whats in the Pyramid?
that makes Room#2 a tie-in to the Pyramid 'extra'

eew and once they complete this adventure by defeating the aboleth and closing the portal to the dungeon dimensions. They make there way into the Pyrmaid to help the pixies, the free the Queen but also unwittingly release the Unseelie Dark Lord to wreak havoc upon the world (The Dark Lord was summoned but is bound to the Queen, in a fit of pique the Dark Lord killed his summoners but then was unable to release himself from the Queen) - works for me ...

Last edited:

Elephant

First Post
der_kluge said:
(I think Elephant has pixies on the brain!),

Well, for some reason I got the idea of evil minions gleefully pulling the wings off a pixie. It's a great scene to show just how depraved the evil guys are, so I can't help but include that!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Elephant said:
Well, for some reason I got the idea of evil minions gleefully pulling the wings off a pixie. It's a great scene to show just how depraved the evil guys are...!

thats until the PCs learn that they are cannibal pixies :mad:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Here's a first run at my room...what do you think?

Compared to the swirling horror of the whirlpool, this tranquil cavern seems the perfect opposite- here, the waters flow through a gigantic geode of deep purple amethyst crystals.

The tiny faces of the millions of crystalline structures surrounding them reflect the party's light sources like tiny stars, and the effect is mirrored in the dark and gently flowing waters upon which they travel gives the effect that the party is traversing the night sky in their tiny boat.

About the middle of the cavern, the enchantment is broken as nasty black spears pierce the surface of the water from below...

The attackers are typical Skum, armed with longspears. There are 9 of them, grouped in 3's. They are using the reach of the longspears to attack the boat while remaining below the water. The water's darkness & distortion of the surface makes fighting difficult. Furthermore, the Skum's longspears are primitive, with flaked stone heads. (Use the primitive weapon breaking rules of the DMG.)

(To reflect the difficulty of this kind of fighting, treat the water's surface as providing soft cover- IOW, a -4 to attack. However, with each successful hit, reduce the penalties by 1, and eliminate the penalty if a hit results in a crit threat. Since the Skum have some experience with this, they start off with only -2.)

The Skum are trying to damage the party, to be sure, but they are mostly trying to herd the party towards their unseen 10th member. To that end, they are attacking on 3 sides, leaving the 4th side (nearest the opening to the next cave) open.

Submerged at the entrance of the next cave is the one they call "The Beast" Nabbar. He is a Large Skum (6HD), Str 21, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 6

Unlike his smaller bretheren, he is mildly psionic- the end result of selective breeding including psionic stock by his Aboleth Master. Instead of Alertness, he has Improved Natural Attack: Bite (now 3d6), Wild Talent, and Psionic Fist (expend psionic focus to have Unarmed Attack or Natural Weapon deal +2d6 damage).

As an alternative to Psionics, give Nabbar the usual Alertness, plus Improved Initiative and INA, but give him the Half-Fiend template. He is the end result of the breeding program including a number of would-be sorcerers.

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
Tonguez said:
and thats whats in the Pyramid?
that makes Room#2 a tie-in to the Pyramid 'extra'

eew and once they complete this adventure by defeating the aboleth and closing the portal to the dungeon dimensions. They make there way into the Pyrmaid to help the pixies, the free the Queen but also unwittingly release the Unseelie Dark Lord to wreak havoc upon the world (The Dark Lord was summoned but is bound to the Queen, in a fit of pique the Dark Lord killed his summoners but then was unable to release himself from the Queen) - works for me ...

That's an interesting read on it - perhaps the queen's captivity is all that keeps the Unseelie lord from entering this plane. Releasing her means that the unseelie lord can finally enter the plane, though minus the necessary sacrifice of the queen, he's completely hell-bent on seeing her dead to solidify his presence on the plane (perhaps stats for pre- and post- pixie queen death).

I like it!

der_kluge

Adventurer
#12. Phase Spider Lair
(EL 7)

The hallway leading up to this room appears to be nothing more than a solid rock wall. A search check (DC 25) reveals a fake rock resting inconspicuously on the ground. Both the wall and the rock radiate magic if detected (moderate transmutation). If the rock is tapped against the rock wall three times, the wall "dissolves" into nothingness, revealing room #12.

This dark room is choked with spider webs. Three large columns run down the center of the room longways. The central column is badly damaged, and large chunks of rubble from it litter the floor. The walls and floor are smooth, and seemingly carved whole from an entire block of marble.

This room is home to a mated pair of Phase Spiders. They normally hunt above ground, phasing through the ceiling, and remain here during the daylight hours.

If the PCs enter this room at night, there is only a 10% chance the phase spiders will be in this room. However, if the PCs enter this room during the day, there is a 90% chance they will be here. Both spiders always remain together.

The webs are strong, and any movement through them will alert the spiders to the PCs presence - if the spiders are home. Movement here is hampered, and each square of requires slows movement by half.

There is a door to the north and another door to the south leading off this room. The door to the north is magically locked. The door to the south is neither locked, nor magically locked.

Since most of the phase spider's victims die above ground, there's very little actual treasure here. Aside from a few assorted mundane spears and rusty daggers, the party will find a total of 73gp (in very ancient coinage), two empty glass flasks, and a Phylactery of Faithfulness on the forehead of what remains of a skeleton.

Remove ads