Collaborative Cave #2 - Updated map (see 1st post) - Now doing room assignment

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Thought I'd just do a nice non-combat skill test, it probably needs work

Cavern 7 River Channels

You notice that the river current quickens as you round the bend and ahead you see that the river forks left and right as it channels around a pair of natural stone pillars.

The swift currents through the river channels are a difficult natural hazard which needs to be negotiated using skill or strength checks. The first fork can be negotiated with a DC 10 check and either fork is relatively safe although a failed check results in 1d4 damage as you are pushed up against the rock walls.PCs also get a DC 15 Listen check to hear the "dull roar" to the left of the cavern which leads to the Whirlpool.

The second fork is the true hazard. The right fork increases rapidly requiring a DC 15 check to negotiate and a failed check means that you are pulled directly into Cavern 8 towards the whirlpool. A successful check means that the PCs break out of the current and instead are pulled down into the deep pool (see left fork)
The left fork actually drags the PCS into a deep pool where they are dragged under and are subject to drowning. However PCs who make a DC 15 spot check will see that this pool is actually the safe way used by the aquatic creatures to pass the whirlpool stream via a submerged channel which passes underneath the surface currents. PCs who make two successful DC 15 Swim checks can swim beneath the current and thus continue along the main stream along the river. PCs can also take a boat along this submerged channel if the make two successful DC 25 strength checks to steer the boat as it is pulled under, popping up like a cork on the other side...

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
So, a mere 10 years after I started this thread, I need this dungeon. My party is on a quest for the 2nd piece of the rod of seven parts, and similar to the actual boxed set, I'm placing the 2nd piece in an Aboleth's lair (just using this dungeon instead of the one in the boxed set).

So, I've got some vacation coming up next week. Maybe if I find some time, I'll go through and rebuild this dungeon, stat out all the rooms, and update them to 5th edition. I'll post the results once I have something finalized.

Remove ads