Collaborative Cave #2 - Updated map (see 1st post) - Now doing room assignment

der_kluge

Adventurer
Put up a new map. (see post #1)

I just realized I left the color palette in there. Just ignore it. I'll take it out of the next version.

Elephant

First Post
# 2, Beach of Torture
(EL 7)

You see a narrow beach open into a rocky cave up ahead on the right-hand side of the underground river. As you approach, you hear tortured screams and sinister laughter. Four torches reveal a band of skum tugging at the wings of a pixie prisoner chained to the wall! There are also two dead or dying pixies laying at the foot of the wall and a stack of tiny bows on a rock under one of the torches.

Six Skum warriors are torturing three Pixie prisoners on the beach by pulling off their wings. One of the Pixies is already dead, and the second one is bleeding to death from the stumps where its wings used to be. The third is cowering as one of the Skum brags to his fellows how he's going to feed her own wings to her!

* The dying pixie is at -8hp and still bleeding when the PCs first notice the beach. It's very likely that she will die before any of the Skum.

If the PCs rescue the remaining pixie, he will accompany them through the rest of the cave, assisting where possible. He will do his very best to avoid melee, however.

As of the end of this encounter, the third pixie has all abilities available - the Skum had him chained with cold iron manacles that suppressed his abilities.

The Skum have orders from the Aboleth in Area 11 to kill or subdue all intruders. They will immediately attack the PCs upon noticing them. They will focus attacks on one PC at a time, moving to the next as soon as the first PC drops (dead, unconscious, or even faking it!) or runs away.

Once the Skum are dead, the Pixie will exclaim "You killed them! Are you going to release me from my bonds now?"

Once released, Olarian will ask the PCs for his equipment back, pointing out the rock under one of the torches. He will arm himself and offer the extra gear to the PCs, sadly observing "Ulia and Pylith won't be needing those anymore."

Once armed, Olarian will offer to accompany the PCs for the remainder of this cave. He'll use his abilities to help scout and support the PCs in combat by shooting enemies with arrows - he'll avoid melee at all cost.

If the PCs refuse to return his gear or act threatening or hostile, Olarian will simply turn invisible and flee back to the forest.

Skum Warrior 1
Size/Type: Medium Aberration (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 5d8+15 (37 hp)
Initiative: 3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 40 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+3 Dex, +2 natural, +3 Sharkskin armor), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+7
Attack: Ranseur +10 melee (2d4+10) or Bite +10 melee (3d6+7)
Full Attack: Ranseur +10 melee (2d4+10) or Bite +10 melee (3d6+7) and 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+3)
Attack (+3 PA): Ranseur +7 melee (2d4+16) or Bite +7 melee (3d6+10)
Full Attack (+3 PA): Ranseur +7 melee (2d4+16) or Bite +7 melee (3d6+10) and 2 claws +5 melee (1d4+6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Rake 1d6+3
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., amphibious
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Hide +7*, Listen +9*, Move Silently +7, Spot +9*, Swim +8, Tumble +5
Feats: Multiattack, Improved Natural Attack, Power Attack
Environment: Underground
Organization: Brood (2-5) or pack (6-15)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually lawful evil
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Medium); 5-6 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: 3

Equipment:
Ranseur, Sharkskin armor (treat as MW studded leather), 1 potion of Cure Light Wounds

A skum is about the same height and weight as a human. Skum speak Aquan.
Combat

Rake (Ex)

Attack bonus +0 melee, damage 1d6+3. A skum also gains two rake attacks when it attacks while swimming.

Amphibious (Ex)

Although skum are aquatic, they can survive indefinitely on land.
Skills

*Skum have a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks underwater.

A skum has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

When taken below 25 HP, a skum will drink his potion. When taken below 10 HP, a skum will attempt to flee towards area 3.

Scaling the encounter:
Lower-level parties: Have only four Skum warriors here.
Higher-level parties: Have eight Skum warriors here.

Olarian, Pixie torture victim:

Pixie
Size/Type: Small Fey
HP: 8 (1 HD)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 60 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +4 Dex, +1 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-6
Attack: Short sword +5 melee (1d4-2/19-20) or longbow +5 ranged (1d6-2/×3)
Full Attack: Short sword +5 melee (1d4-2/19-20) or longbow +5 ranged (1d6-2)/×3
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, special arrows
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, greater invisibility, low-light vision, spell resistance 15
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 7, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +7, Concentration +6, Escape Artist +8, Hide +8, Listen +8, Move Silently +8, Ride +8, Search +9, Sense Motive +6, Spot +8
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Finesse
Challenge Rating: 5
Alignment: neutral good
Languages: Sylvan, Common, Elven, Halfling, Gnome
Height: 2' 4"
Weight: 27 lbs.

Combat

The normally carefree pixies ferociously attack evil creatures and unwanted intruders. They take full advantage of their invisibility and other abilities to harass and drive away opponents.

Greater Invisibility (Su)

A pixie remains invisible even when it attacks. This ability is constant, but the pixie can suppress or resume it as a free action.

Spell-Like Abilities

1/day—lesser confusion (DC 14), dancing lights, detect chaos, detect good, detect evil, detect law, detect thoughts (DC 15), dispel magic, entangle (DC 14), permanent image (DC 19; visual and auditory elements only). Caster level 8th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Olarian can use irresistible dance (caster level 8th) once per day.

Special Arrows (Ex)

Pixies sometimes employ arrows that deal no damage but can erase memory or put a creature to sleep.

Memory Loss

An opponent struck by this arrow must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or lose all memory. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus. The subject retains skills, languages, and class abilities but forgets everything else until he or she receives a heal spell or memory restoration with limited wish, wish, or miracle.

Sleep

Any opponent struck by this arrow, regardless of Hit Dice, must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be affected as though by a sleep spell. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

Treasure:

Two sets of Pixie gear: Small shortswords and longbows, plus two quivers of mundane arrows. If the PCs do not give Olarian his gear back, there are three sets of pixie gear, plus an extra quiver full of Memory Loss and Sleep arrows (10 of each arrow).

Last edited:

Elephant

First Post
Slife said:
Remove the special arrows (ex), since they have only normal arrows.

My intent is that the PCs get ordinary arrows; the Pixie takes all the special ones. I'll edit my post.

Edit: On another note, someone should mention to the guy who posted the Blue Mage on the wizards forum that a spontaneous spellcaster is called a sorcerer, not a "sorceror".

A d20 Blue Mage class is a fun idea, though.

Last edited:

Elephant

First Post
I have a monster idea for Area 7:

Ictakko
Medium Aberration
Hit Dice: 9d8+18 (70HP)
Init: +5
Speed: 20 ft, Swim 40 ft, fly 30 ft (poor)
AC 20 (+5 Dex, +5 Natural), 15 flat-footed, 15 touch
BAB/Grapple: +6/+13
Attack: Slam +8 melee (1d8+2+1d6 electrical)
Full Attack: Slam +8/+3 melee (1d8+2+1d6 electrical) and Tendril +7 melee (1d4+2+1d6 electrical)
Space/Reach 10 ft/10 ft with tendril
Special Attacks: Tendril Lash
Special Qualities: Hold Breath, low-light vision, scent, tremorsense
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +7
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Feats: Alertness, Stealthy, Weapon Focus: Tendril, Great Fortitude
Skills: Hide +9, Listen +5, Move Silently +9, Spot +5, Survival +5, Swim +10
CR 7

Hold Breath (Ex): An Ictakko can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4x its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Tendril Lash (Ex): The Ictakko prefers to kill prey through asphyxiation and electrocution, something it does very well with its long, thin tentacle. On a successful grapple check, the tendril wraps around the victim's neck and begins crushing and shocking him for 1d4+2 bludgeoning and 1d6 electrical damage each round.

If the tendril is targeted for Sunder attempts, it has 6 HP, DR 10/slashing, and AC 15.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an Ictakko must hit a Large or smaller opponent with its Tendril. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold with its tendril lash and can begin shocking and crushing the victim. Ictakkos receive a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks, which is included in the statistics block.

The Ictakko is a very dangerous predator given to lurking underwater for long periods of time and lashing out at anything that disturbs them. Its bizarre appearance is quite terrifying; it resembles a spider in the shape of its body, but it has a long tendril tail, a pear-shaped head covered in horns, wings that it uses for both swimming and flight, and spindly antennae. An Ictakko has a +8 bonus on Swim checks. It can always choose to take 10 on Swim checks, even if rushed or threatened. It can use the Run action while swimming, provided it moves in a straight line. An Ictakko gains a +4 bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks made while in the water (this is not reflected in the statistics block above). A bizarre creature, the Ictakko is the result of some experiments the Aboleth was running long ago.

====================

The Ictakko is from Mongoose's Lone Wolf: The Darklands p. 116. I did have to make a few alterations to make it fit into the D&D rules (for example, in Lone Wolf, there's a single Stealth skill instead of Hide and Move Silently).

der_kluge

Adventurer
Looks good, Elephant! Though, you should include some text describing the area a little bit. The square room leading off this chamber opens up to the surface, for example.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I went for a paddle on a pond over the weekend and during my trip went through a canoe slalom training area. Anyway as I paddled through the dangling poles I got the image in my head which I think would fit in this cave in any of the 'connecting tunnels' areas like say between 6 and 7 (of course if anyone wants to use it in their cavern you're welcome to it)

Anyway

STRANGE STALAGTITES
The river seems to widen as you round the bend and the tunnel spread out above you. water drips heavily from above, a constant drip and splashing. Long and thin red-gold stalactites extend like fangs almost to the rivers surface, fangs of stone twisted and sleek with the constant ripple of crystaline water.

As you draw closer you feel the tunnel become suddenly cold and a wind begins to moan; it is then that you see the faces in the stone ...

On closer inspection of the stalactites the PCs will see that everyone of them is formed over the body of a human(oid), their faces and bodies frozen in stone....

(thats it so far) what happens next I level to the collective wisdom to decide

Last edited:

Wycen

Explorer
So I was thinking the demented little bugger in room 13 might have a detente with the phase spiders in 12 thanks to a skeletal spider eater and maybe the occasional conjured sacrificial peace offering. For some reason I got it in my head there was a magic scarab or cloak that protected against vermin but apparently not in the SRD. Then I realized phase spiders aren't vermin so that idea wouldn't work anyway.

Remove ads