S2: War in Vastermarch - Completed

Manzanita

First Post
Someone said:
"What does this weapon do?" asks Nodis. "Does it burst in flames? shoot lightning? can cleave rocks? makes your enemies' pants drop?"

"Well, " says Poto, "it is said to be able to summon all sorts of nasty, foul creatures from other planes. One manuscript, purportedly written by a master of the Curved Blade states that the scythe allows the user to teleport around a battlefield at will, avoiding attacks."

"But it's hard to say. Probably not safe to touch it really. Come on. Let's go see it. It mustn't be left unattended. If we put our heads together, I'm sure we can figure out what to do with it."

---

I'm waiting on some sort of closure at the temple of Hyrag. Do Juliana and Eusebius both leave Torvin there alone? If so, we could have everyone meet back at the stables and wrap this part up, I think. Or maybe we could do that without everyone present...

Boddynock

First Post
OOC: Sorry, Manz, I've been holding things up. If Eusebius had thought about it (meaning if I'd thought about it) he could have prepared both Detect Evil (a couple of times) and Zone of Truth, which would perhaps help in the questioning of the paladin. I don't know if you'd be happy for me to retcon that or not. If not, that's fine.

As to how much healing E would offer - the answer is probably all that he could. However, he's had to make hard decisions already about the 'greater good', so it's not a straightforward decision. At a guess, I think he'd perhaps expend half his spells, so that he can be useful if an emergency comes up later in the day.

Let me know about the retcon (I haven't chosen his spells, so I guess that otherwise I'd just go for what he usually prepares) and I'll come up with an IC entry as soon as!

Manzanita

First Post
Ret-conning could open up a can of worms (hope I'm not giving anything away there! :eek: ), so I'd prefer to avoid it for now. I think the other players would get bored if we extend the Temple scene. I'd prefer to move on, though I don't think I'm giving anything away to say you haven't seen the last of Torvin Arkenthrasher, so hopefully we'll still get a chance to play that out.

I'll be taking the rest of the week off of posting, probably, so I'd like to open it up to player/character discussion. Let's assume the group gathers again in the stables with Poto Knezer, and everyone is filled in on what the first group found on Aif Jenkin's farm.

Beamer has learned that Captain Carter isn't interested in either interrogating Tharok or keeping him imprisoned. He plans to execute the orc as soon as the PCs are through with him.

Poto would like the PCs to help him deal with the scythe of Seto. It becomes evident, over the next few days, that the orc invasion is largely over. Those characters who feel a duty, for whatever reason, to rid the world of this dangerous artifact, or at least keep it from falling into the hands of Seto's minions, can begin discussing what to do with it. Poto is convinced it can't be destroyed by any normal means. Those characters who don't feel compelled to pursue this course of action are free to continue with their adventuring lives elsewhere.

Poto can cast identify spells. I'd prefer to RP that out, since Poto is kind of a funny guy. But since I'll be taking 4 or 5 days off, & don't want to see the whole thread die, I think I'll go ahead & give the results of the identify spells. I'll try to get a treasure post up shortly.

For what its worth, I think rln should consider changing Ogrin's alignment to good. The way he took care of the boys on the cart was truly noble.

Happy Thanksgiving day to all of you Yanks out there. Happy November 22nd to the rest. Among other things, I'm thankful to have found such a great board to game on!

Manzanita

First Post
Treasure Post

Here's what I believe you have accumulated in treasure. I may have left some things out, so feel free to second guess me. Poto is friendly, but does still charge for his identify spells. He's willing to give a slight discount to Banion since he's family, so he asks for 124 gps/spell! :lol:
[sblock]
From S1
From Emerald Empress:
+1 ring of protection
MW curved dagger
tan bag of tricks
From Mano
amulet of natural armor +1
boots of striding and springing
Periapt of Wisdom +2

From S2 fort battle:
+2 medium sized studded leather armor
2 potions of CLW
MW greatsword
amulet of health +2
10 gold coins
2 rubies worth 500 gps each
+1 medium breastplate armor
MW double axe
cloak of resistance +2 (black)

From S2 wilderness battle:
Robe of useful items, containing standard items plus:
-24’ wooden ladder(x2)
-12’ rowboat
-Iron door
-Silver coffer
-Potion of CSW
-Portable ram
-Window
-Open pit
Ring of Feather falling
Pearl of power (2nd level spell)
Spellbook containing: Spell Book: All cantrips except abjuration & enchantment. 1: cause fear, chill touch, ray of enfeeblement, expeditious retreat, magic missile, identify, comprehend languages, mage armor, unseen servent. 2. spectral hand, ghoul touch, scare, fog cloud, locate object, mirror image, levitate 3. vampiric touch, ray of exhaustion, blink, fireball
200 gold coins
Wagon & two heavy horses[/sblock]

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
ooc: Thanks for the great game, Manz. The last battle got me checking the boards as often as I could. However, I finally decided what to do with Nodis and I think he'll go for RA's mega adventure.

As for treasure, I've discovered that the best way to divide it is to check the things that would be useful for your character, even if that means looking too greedy, so that's what I'll do. The cloak of resistance +2, amulet of health (+2? there are no +1 versions, IIRC), ring of feather falling and pearl of power would be useful for Nodis.

Boddynock

First Post
OOC: Yeah, no problem on the retcon, Manz. ;)

Eusebius will suggest that the group from S1 use the party funds (400 gp) to identify unknown articles from S1. As I see it, we need to ID the ring (+1 protection), amulet (+1 natural armor) and pearl (+2 Wisdom). That comes to 372 gp for Poto, and leaves 28 gp in the party purse.

Values of treasure from S1:

Amulet of Natural Armor +1 2000 gp (Juliana)
Bag of Tricks, Tan 6300 gp (Beamer)
Boots of Striding and Springing 5500 gp (Banion)
Periapt of Wisdom +2 4000 gp (Eusebius)
Ring of Protection +1 2000 gp (Eusebius)

Since Eusebius can use both the amulet and the ring, and they stack, and Bront expressed an interest in a Wisdom-boosting article, I suggest that Juliana have the Periapt and Eusebius will keep the Ring and take the Amulet.

That leaves 1628 gp from the initial payment received. Since both Beamer and Banion are well ahead on the treasure stakes, I suggest that Juliana and Eusebius split the cash between them.

Patlin

Explorer
Boddynock said:
That leaves 1628 gp from the initial payment received. Since both Beamer and Banion are well ahead on the treasure stakes, I suggest that Juliana and Eusebius split the cash between them.

Fair enough! Guess Banion's all ready to head out, then.

Manzanita

First Post
I did change that to an amulet of Health +2. Initially I put +1 to balance a particular enemy's treasure, but overall, I think it's better to give it a +2. I edited my above post.

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC S1: That's good for me. The +2 wisdom gives her a few bonus PPs (well, 3 to be precice), However, it might be more benificial to Eseuberus, as he gets a bonus spell, better DC for spells (Same with Jules, but she uses bosting stuff only), and better AC due to monk abilities. The Amulet and Ring wouldn't hurt for Juliana either (Woho! More AC!), so she'd be willing to swap if you want 'nock. Either way, the cash split makes sense.

OOC S2 Second Battle: The Robe might be more usefull as cash. I'm guessing Beamer would like the spellbook. The Pearl is something Father E should have, as it's just too usefull to sell. The Ring has it's uses, so someone may want it. Otherwise, we could sell that, and split the procedes. Did we get a chance to sell any of the other general stuff we found on the battle? We had some time to load it up on the wagon.

Remove ads