GSL & software support for 3rd party publications

ruemere

Adventurer
To the best of my knowledge, this subject hasn't been addressed yet by GSL or WotC representatives here, so I'd like to post a short and public query for Wizards of the Coast:
- are there any plans for any type of license addressing subject of software game accessories like PcGen?
- if so, is it possible to learn when such plans or such license information will be released to the public?

The reasons for the query are the following:
- I own quite a few books, so electronic management of campaign information is a must,
- the products I use include large volume of 3rd party publisher materials, and as such, they are generally fan supported,
- PcGen has been with me since 3.0 d20, so, if possible, I would really like to continue using it.

I'm not really hoping for a quick reply, but I'd like to bring this to the attention of someone who may inform of this issue people in charge of designing additional GSL licenses.

Regards,
Ruemere

Moon-Lancer

First Post
I heard on the front page that their was a Q&A email sent to publishers but they cant disclose any specifics. It also said that parts of the Q&A would be addressed in the next pod cast thats supposed to be today. I wonder if the pod cast really will come out today?

Hopefully the podcast will address your concerns.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
The Terms and Conditions of the GSLs are going to be similar to the current d20 STL. A couple key points found here and are likely to be included in the license (possibly in different language)

• "Interactive Game": means a piece of software that is designed to accept inputs from human players or their agents, and use rules to resolve the success or failure of those inputs, and return some indication of the results of those inputs to the users. Success and failure includes any determination wherein one outcome is preferable to another. This includes the random determination of hit points, ability scores, and the like.

Definition of Character Creation:

Character creation means the process of generating and assigning initial scores to abilities, selecting a race, selecting a starting class, assigning initial skill points, selecting initial feats, selecting initial talents, selecting an occupation, and picking an initial alignment. You may, at your option, refer readers to the section on Character Creation in the Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook or d20 Modern Roleplaying Game, including references to any of the named steps in the process for character creation. Character creation does not include creating or modifying the description of a race, a class, a skill, a talent or a feat.

You may indicate that a player should use a race, class, ability, etc., presented in a Covered Product in addition to, or exclusive of, those presented in the Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook or d20 Modern Roleplaying Game. In no way should this paragraph be construed to allow you to present the process for creating a character as defined in the previous paragraph.

Definition of Applying the effects of Experience to a Character:

Applying the effects of Experience to a Character means the process for comparing the accumulated experience point total of a character to a chart to determine if the character's level should be incremented. If the experience level of a character exceeds threshold values as defined by the chart, the character is modified in a specified fashion.

Specifically, Applying the effects of Experience to a Character means incrementing the character level of a character by incrementing a class level by one rank, or by adding a new class at first level, and describing how to allocate new skill points, select new feats, select new talents, or gain new class-level linked abilities.

Applying the effects of Experience to a Character does not include creating or modifying an experience point chart or defining a new class (including describing what benefits that class provides at each level).

Mandatory Restrictions:

No Covered Product may contain rules or instructions of any kind that:

• Describe a process for Creating a Character
• Describe a process for Applying the Effects of Experience to a Character

No Covered Product may change or extend the definition of any Defined Game Term as enumerated in this Guide.

No Covered Product may include “Miniatures.”

No Covered Product may use the term “Core Book” on its cover, title, advertising, or self-reference.

No Covered Product may be an "Interactive Game" as defined in this Guide.

Lizard

Explorer
Michael Morris said:
This news makes me exceedingly happy.

Why?

It's hard to imagine how PCGen does not "describe the process of creating a character".

PC Gen D&D 4.0 FAQ
Q:How do I enter a character?
A:We can't tell you that.

Q:I want to level up my character. How do I do that?
A:It's a secret.

Remember, PCGen, HeroLab, etc, are all OGL products; they don't use the STL, for good reason.

The Little Raven

First Post
I agree with Lizard. Character generation software, by it's very nature, contains rules for creating characters and would thus seems to be in violation.

HeinorNY

First Post
Mourn said:
I agree with Lizard. Character generation software, by it's very nature, contains rules for creating characters and would thus seems to be in violation.
Is there a possibility that WOTC simply wants everyone using their DDI Character Creator instead of a free 3P product that may become a direct competitor of their paid product?

The Little Raven

First Post
ainatan said:
Is there a possibility that WOTC simply wants everyone using their DDI Character Creator instead of a free 3P product that may become a direct competitor of their paid product?

It's possible, but since it's geared towards publishers putting out "stand-alone player's handbooks," I'd say it's primarily there simply to prevent anyone from making a 4e-based game/product that allows you to completely bypass owning the 4e core books.

Lizard

Explorer
ainatan said:

Is it possible the sun rises in the East?

Those of us who remember 3e's launch will remember WOTC was supposed to have...well...just about everything DDI currently promises, including the virtual game table. We also remember they failed badly at it. With six weeks to launch and the product still in an alpha state, I don't have high hopes.

HeinorNY

First Post
Lizard said:
Those of us who remember 3e's launch will remember WOTC was supposed to have...well...just about everything DDI currently promises, including the virtual game table. We also remember they failed badly at it. With six weeks to launch and the product still in an alpha state, I don't have high hopes.
I honestly don't remember any of this, all I remember was the CD in the back cover of PHB.
Anyway, I have high hopes for DDI.

Remove ads