• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GSL & software support for 3rd party publications

Ruined

Explorer
That actually looked a lot better than I was expecting. Sorry for lack of faith and all, but I do remember that CD in the back of the 3.0 books. =)

The Rouse looked so unhappy though...

Lizard

Explorer
Fallen Seraph said:
*Points to the video Rouse posted above* That looks like a functioning Game Table to me.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo".

I've seen footage like that from games 2+ years from release.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Lizard said:
Functional as in "Release candidate"? Because about a month or two ago, everything I heard was "This is still an alpha, please don't judge it too harshly". But, hey, if you can go from alpha to release that fast, more power to you.

It's software so I won't go as far as to call it "release candidate" but it is progressing well.

Lacyon

First Post
Lizard said:

:D That is so true.

But I do have to one-up you: Any sufficiently rigged demo is indistinguishable from a first release.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Lizard said:

Yes, but are you willing to pin down their competence exactly between good enough to make a convincing demo and not good enough to complete their goals.

Scott, thank you for clarifying. Sound like they are further along than I thought, but I still have major doubt I hope to be disabused of.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Lizard said:

Are you implying a) this is a rigged demo and thus b) my claims of a functioning client are false?

Regardless, I find your comment irritating considering people from this site watched a weekends worth of clearly live demos at D&D Experience and even posted footage of them on this site (non-rigged with crashes and all).

Last edited:

Lizard

Explorer
Scott_Rouse said:
Are you implying a) this is a rigged demo and thus b) my claims of a functioning client are false?

Nope.

First, I posted that before you'd clarified the state of the development, or at least before I read it.

Second, it's an old, old, programming joke, not aimed at you personally. It states that the presence of video of a functioning system is not proof of the existence of a functioning system. (If you have never read about Microsoft's Windows 1.0 demo/announcement, do so. It's a riot.)

Third, I generally assume no representative of a corporation would be stupid enough to out-and-out lie in a public forum. If you say the system is almost good to go and will be live on June 6, I accept that is the truth as you currently see it. I may personally have trouble reconciling this with statements that the program was in alpha not very long ago (around December-January, IIRC), but you may have the most kick-ass dev team on the planet working for you. We'll see how it goes. My skepticism is based on the fact almost no software EVER ships on-time and feature-complete, and this is a pretty complex piece of software. If you pull it off, your coders and testers deserve the highest praise (and some nice bonus checks).

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Lizard said:
Nope.

First, I posted that before you'd clarified the state of the development, or at least before I read it.

Second, it's an old, old, programming joke, not aimed at you personally. It states that the presence of video of a functioning system is not proof of the existence of a functioning system. (If you have never read about Microsoft's Windows 1.0 demo/announcement, do so. It's a riot.)

Third, I generally assume no representative of a corporation would be stupid enough to out-and-out lie in a public forum. If you say the system is almost good to go and will be live on June 6, I accept that is the truth as you currently see it. I may personally have trouble reconciling this with statements that the program was in alpha not very long ago (around December-January, IIRC), but you may have the most kick-ass dev team on the planet working for you. We'll see how it goes. My skepticism is based on the fact almost no software EVER ships on-time and feature-complete, and this is a pretty complex piece of software. If you pull it off, your coders and testers deserve the highest praise (and some nice bonus checks).

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Remove ads