For the Greater Good

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Our Intrepid Band of Heroes

Jaik - Darren, CG Tiefling Male Rogue 11
Hesseroph - Sebastion Andovar, CG Male Human Paladin of Hoar 12 (BoHM variant), and Aerofax, CG Winged Half-Celestial Dire Mare (paladin's mount)
KaintheSeeker - Lyssia Darkwing, CG Sanctified Frey’ri Ranger 4/Fighter 4
Jarval - Nessa Caoilfhionn (pronounced NES-a KEE-lin), NG Female Aasimar Arcane Disciple 11
djrdjmsqrd - Sir Staeven Myleron, The Phoenix Knight, NG Human Fighter 5/Annointed Knight 7
Lichtenhart - Saint Norin, "Dawnkeeper", LG Male Human Saint / Monk 10
doghead - Sylinda Heartmantle , CG Human Female Ascetic Druid 5/Swanmay 7, with Aeric, (Exalted Companion: Male Celestial Awakened Hawk) and Bellona (Cohort: Female Unicorn)

Inactive Players
GoodKingJayIII - formerly Sir Staeven Myleron
Velenne - formerly Saint Norin
Salthorae - formerly Sylinda Heartmantle
Halivar - formerly Sebastion Andovar

Out Of Character Thread
Rouge's Gallery Thread

Ok, ladies and gentlemen, we'll be starting now. All OOC information that you need to tell me put at the end of your post in bracket like this:

[OOC: Diplomacy +10 to try to calm him down]

Of course the role-playing version of that would be further up the post, but if you need any rolls made, just make me aware of them.

Also, please put your race, class, character name, and whatnot in the title of your posts so everyone doesn't have to keep running to the Rogue's Gallery to figure our who everyone is.

Thoughts go in italics, speaking in "quotes," and actions go in *asterisks.* If you wish to use different colors for thoughts and speech, you may, but it must be light enough for me to read.

Occasionally I'll be making use of the spoiler tags. If you see a blank spot in a paragraph or something, like this
this is an example of spoiler text
, please don't highlight it until you read the end of the post and get my recommendations as to who is supposed to read it.

I'm using the Faerunian calendar, except with 7-day weeks.

And now, on to the story:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over four weeks ago each of you received a letter from Orshallan, the High Righteousness of the Invincible, the high priest of Heironeous. Each knows him to a greater or lesser extent. For some he is only an acquaintance, others a colleague of long standing. But regardless he is a powerful and influential figure, both in religion and in politics. The letter was sealed with his personal stamp and arrived by bonded messenger.

To my fellow Guardian of the Light,

I write to you now to ask you a most important favor, one that may be fraught with peril, yet will serve to advance the cause of light. This quest would require the utmost finesse and care, and thus I feel I can entrust it to you and others I have requested.

My own people in the church of Heironeous have an overabundance of zeal, I'm afraid, for a mission of this sort. They are skilled, brave, true, and faithful, but usually use the most direct method, which is not needed now.

My words are vague, but I dare not entrust this quest to paper and ink. I ask you to come to Andeluvay at the end of Highsun [8th month of the year] if you will hear me out.

I tell you truly, this is a matter of the utmost importance.

May the Invincible Guard You,
Orshallan
High Righteousness of the Invincible

Orshallan is not yet in Andeluvay, though it is beginning of the fourth week of Highsun. His second, Galdaron Exile, says that he's been communicating with Orshallan on a regular basis and he expects him back by the end of the week. For those that live in Andeluvay or have arrived before now, he has been taking down your names.

All of you would know the following bits of history and rumors:

Years ago the Yillinda, wife and Queen of King Xargo, was struck down by a magical poison, yet did not die. She remains in a kind of eternal sleep, and Xargo remains faithful to her. Because of this, there is no royal heir. This much is public knowledge. Rumors fly as to who did it and why the most potent magic or prayers cannot restore the Queen to true life. Since her poisoning, King Xargo has withdrawn from nearly all public appearances, only appearing at the most necessary and sacred public functions. When she was "alive," Queen Yillinda was a champion of the poor, while King Xargo handled the nobles. The strangest rumors circulate about the fact that Kind Xargo has had visions from his comatose wife, requesting that he form an order of knights dedicated to her, to carry out her wishes.Along with these rumors of these new "Yillindan Knights," have been a rash of vigilante-style justice on the streets. The City Watch officially suspects the church of Hoar (an outlawed faith).

Amongst the religious side of things are clashes amongst the clergy, as the laws concerning necromancy are up for debate again. All of the good faiths are against the laws, but are opposed by the churches of Siamorphe, Wee Jas, Talona, and Boccob. Boccob and Wee Jas' churches are backed by both the Mage's Guild and the Gravecrawler's Guild (who are responsible for animating bodies of executed law-breakers for public service), both powerful guilds with backing by many noble families as well as powerful wizards. Talona's church is usually responsible for supplying the poisons used in execution (it's more difficult to reanimate a beheaded or hung body), and would hate to their markets dwindle. And Siamorphe's church claims that the necromantic laws help keep order by warding off some law-breakers. They are, of course, backed by a large portion of the noble houses. Both sets of churches are at odds, while the neutral faiths simply fight to keep from falling asleep in council.

On general religious information, the following faiths are outlawed: Nerull, Vecna, Hextor, Grummsh, Loviatar, Olidammara, Hoar (due to vigilantism), and Ghaunadaur (due to its worshippers being rampant destructive forces most of the time). Talona's church is legal because their ability to diagnose and cure diseases and poisons better than Pelor's church. Beshaba's faith is allowed because no one ever mentions her sister, Tymora, without her.

~~~
Andeluvay is the largest city in Low'verok, a nexus of over a two dozen portals, and a center for all religions. Even those faiths that are outlawed have a strong presence here, to the dismay of the City Watch. The capital is a city of extremes, holding the King's palace and houses of the high noble lords, the central temples, and the Nexus Hall (where the portals are) as well as shockingly decadent districts of unsavory vices (Firelight Walk) and industrial areas of grinding poverty (Dragon's Breath Hollow, or simply The Hollow).

A place of a great deal of trade, much of it interplanar, the city has a great deal of inns, taverns, trading halls, and markets. There's a place for every kind of purse, so sleeping on the streets is not tolerated aside from the most destitute of beggars. However, if one is lacking coin, there are several charity houses that one can go to for a pallet of straw, a bowl of soup, a bit of healing, and some spiritual guidance. The charity houses are mostly run by the church of Pelor, though Alnaria's faith has three that only care for beggar children, in addition to their usual orphanages. Several of the other good faiths have charity houses too, though several are joint endeavors.

Andeluvay is also very unique in the fact that is actually straddles the Tonver River. The King's Palace is literally built right over it, held up with great pillars that rise over a hundred feet into the air, held up with both mortar and magic. The massive pillars are, in fact, hollow, and part of the palace lies underneath the river as well as above it.

There are over a dozen bridges that span the Tonver River, from an old wooden foot bridge, to various stone bridges of differing ages and styles. One bridge seems to be made of a silvery metal and appears as insubstantial as a spider web, though it is, in actuality, the strongest of all the bridges. Known as the Royal Favor, or simply the Royal, only nobles may pass over this bridge, and it is guarded at all times by members of the royal guard. All of the bridges charge some kind of toll, from a few coppers to a silver, depending on the area, traffic, and size of the bridge.

A place so rich in magic and riches of the planes also has great centers of learning. The Darcandis Wizard Academy is the most prestigious in Low'verok, and stands near the temple of Boccob. Exclusive, rich, and powerful, this academy has been producing excellent wizards for over three hundred years. To claim that one is from the Darcandis school is a mark of social superiority. Most court wizards have attended the Darcandis academy. Also in the city is Varland's School of Magic, a small academy specializing in transmutation, Libri Falyarrow, a school run elves for those interested in elven wizardry, and Ekzerikal's Worlds of Wonder, a gnome-run academy specializing in illusion magic. Also the main academy for those who learn from the Mage's Guild is here, and is the largest school of magic in Low'verok.

There are several great libraries here, run by clerics of Oghma, Boccob, Siamorphe, as well as other scholars. The Hall of Knowledge is the largest library, containing tomes covering hundreds if not thousands of subjects. For a fee of a few coppers, one can browse books for hours. For a bit more, one can have the help of skilled scholars in searching for certain types of books. It takes much more to look at the books of magic, which are in a section of the library known as The Well, guarded by warriors sworn to Boccob.

The Hall of Records is part of the temple of Siamorphe, a place where the bloodlines of all nobles are recorded, including what bastard children they've managed to locate and record. A fee of a few silver will allow one to peruse these books. The Hall of the Dead is part of the temple of Kelemvor, with records of the fallen added daily so that prayers might be said for them. Extensive graveyards and catacombs characterize the temple of the Lord of the Dead.

Every church has their high temples here, as the High Priest or Priestess of each religion has a say on the King's Council. The temple district, known as the Godswalk, contains the splendid temples, each decorated in their own very unique way. The air here smells of incense, and sounds of chanting can be heard at all hours of the day.

Sebastian, you've managed to get your usual lodgings at the The Imperial Wyvern inn and tavern for the modest price of one gold a night, plus supper. Aerofax drew a great deal of attention in the stables from newcomers, but the stablehands know both of you, and give Aerofax a stall without a door, so he can come and go as he likes. The Wyvern is a good place to pick up rumors about clergy, as the laymen and priests of Kord favor the place for its nightly wrestling matches and excellent ale.

Lyssia, the current Beauty [High Priestess] of Sune is Ollia Estar, a young, red-haired woman of exquisite beauty and boundless compassion. Nearly every day she conducts a wedding ceremony, sometimes four or five in the course of a day, some elaborate affairs, some simple exchanges of vows. Many people come from all over Low'verok to be married in Sune's high temple. One of the less elaborate affairs is getting over now, and a smiling man and woman in elaborate garb leave the temple, their laughter ringing in the streets. Ollia stands just outside the temple doors, waving good-bye to them.

Norrin, there is no real courtyard in the temple of Heironeous, or at least none that one could stay in, but Galdaron Exile will offer you a simple, cell-like room favored by the few religious ascetic of Heironeous' faith. Galdaron can also direct Saint Norrin to Honor's Shield, Heironeous' charity house in the Hollow, if he wishes to help there.

Dalabrac is also staying at the Imperial Wyvern, directed there by Torvald Kadaris, Strong Son [High Priest] of Kord soon after his arrival in Andeluvay. The half-celestial's large frame makes him a favorite at the wrestling matches, should he decide to participate.

Darren, the Dancing Phoenix seems the best place to be for you to spend the night. A music and dancing hall run by the churches of Milil and Liira, it seems to attract a young crowd. A few beds can even be had here, for a small price. Those whose purses need lightening haven't often shown up here, but a few forays outside the Godswalk will allow you to find those to "help" you "redistribute" their necessary and ill-gotten wealth. However, your presence at the Phoenix seems to stop other thieves from practicing their trade, for which the priests are subtly grateful.

Nessa, you haven't been too terribly busy today, as your last mediation (between two rival merchant factions wanting to trade to the City of Brass) went so well you've been given a bit of a break.

It is twilight on Firstday, during the fourth week of Highsun. What are you doing tonight?

Last edited:

Halivar

First Post
Sebastian Andovar - Human Paladin

Sebastian idly flips a dull iron coin in his room as the sun dips below the horizon. As the sky outside the blinds of his room darkens, he contemplates his reaction to Orshallan's summons.

"Heads," he calls out, and flips the coin one more time, slapping it on his left wrist. Looking at it, he mutters, "Yes, it's always heads. Never really much of a choice, is there?"

Sebastian languidly rises from the cheap wooden chair and pulls Shadowhood off the hook in the wall by the door. With a flourish he spreads the cloak over his shoulders. On a small square table by the door is a vase of black roses. He pulls one, breaks the stem, and tucks it into an open button hole on his left lapel. The green leaves break the monotony of black that covers him from neck to toe. He puts his left hand on the hilt of the longsword at his side, as if to reassure him it is still there. He wishes it was Foesmiter, but he knows why he must keep that treasure on Aerofax.

Sebastian leaves his room, closing and locking the door behind him (though he leaves nothing behind). He heads downstairs to the common room. His crystal-blue eyes scan for the tall celestial he has seen in the common room before, but he is nowhere to be found, yet. The inn's common room is beginning to fill up, as Andeluvay's night-life picks up. He ignores the arm-wrestling matches (as he always does), and the waitresses by now know better than to pester him with offers of wine and food. Sebastian walks straight to the inn door unimpeded and outside.

Alright, Orshallan, he thinks as he steps into the darkness, I'll help you. But first I'm going to find out what's keeping you so long.

[OOC: Sebastian is going to the temple of Hieroneous to find out where Orshallan is; and possibly discuss how to expedite his return to Andeluvay. He figures since It's twilight, worshippers will have gone home and priests will be available to talk.

This is a much longer post it reasonably ought to be, but I must introduce Sebastian with flair! Future posts will be shorter, I promise. Sorry for violating the *actions* in asterisks rule.]

Last edited:

Lyssia at the Temple

From her spot to one side of the door, she sits watching the latest procession walk by. This was the marriage of a local merchant and one of his rival's daughters, what had suprised her was upon investigation that the older man was truly and well smitten by the girl, who in turn had deep feeling for him (enough that from the rumors she had heard that the first child would be an early birth a bare handful of months away, though she had to confess the elaborate gown hid it well) Almost as enjoyable was the look on the bride's father's face. He apparenetly had had plans for his eldest daughter.

She looked like the elven side of her blood this day, having used the magics of her earrings to hide the wings, tail and reddish tint of her skin. It wasn't that she was ashamed of her form, but the first weeks at a new temple she liked to keep the truth hidden. As she watched the Beauty chant out the newly wedded couples blessings she fingered the letter she kept in her shirt, wondering to herself. What are you up to Orshallan? I know our last meeting was abivalent, but still why send for me?

She sighs as the watches the blessing end and the procession finally migrate out of the temple, Ollia joining her as the crowd disperses. She bows to the Beauty. "Your grace." she says with a smile. "Time I think to take my leave for a bit.. I think I need to do a walk about with your lovely city while I wait for his Grace to see fit to arrive." she looks to the priestess, and bows when the Beauty nods her permission. With the unspoken permission, she turns to head out into the city, her temple robes melting into her typical attire of tunic, pants, chain mail and cloak.

(OOC: she's just wandiering around waiting for his Grace to show up, feel free to expand on the departure scene.)

Velenne

Explorer
Saint Norin "Dawnkeeper", Human Male Monk, Ascetic, Humble

Norin gratefully accepts Galdaron's suggestion of serving at the Honor's Shield. This night he is wandering alone in the back alleys of the Hollow, looking for beggars to weak to assist themselves to the charity house. He carries them gingerly, one-by-one, back to the Shield and sees that they are cared for. Any attempts to assist him are gently rebuffed- he does not wish to travel with an entourage and finds the thought of an honor guard humorous. Faith is his honor guard this night.

Jaik

First Post
Days alter, Darren walks through the gates into Andeluvay. It has been a long trip, all of it on foot, but he is used to such hardship and accepts it as a small price to pay for a good night's rest. The familiar sights and sounds of the capitol bring a flood of memories, many of them painful, the rest bittersweet. Even lost in thought, Darren nimbly works his was through the streets, passing unnoticed, simply another poor traveller come to the big city. Before long, Darren walks the Godswalk. He heads first to the temple of Sune, as she began his own journey so long ago. As he come nearer, he sees a well-dressed couple emerge, obviously just married, and he stops for a moment to share in their joy as they walk down the street, lost in each other. As they come nearer, he moves to approach them. He smiles at them both and says, "Congratulations to you both. May this happiness linger forever for you." He smiles again and walks past, bumping into the man due to the crowding in the street. As the couple turn a corner, Darren walks through the temple door, his purse 100 gold coins lighter and his heart even more so. He kneels before the altar to offer his respect and thanks for Sune's inspiration, then turns and exits and makes his way to Lliira's temple, a happy place with festive decorations and an untemple-ish casual quality. Lliira is the Goddess of joy and it shows on Darren's face as he recalls some of the joy he has helped to spread in the world. He makes his obeissance, chats with several other worshipers and priests, then heads off on his way to the Dancing Phoenix where he claims a place in the common room.

Jarval

Explorer
Nessa Caoilfhionn, Female Aasimar Arcane Disciple

Nessa threads her way through the still bustling crowds of the market square, pausing briefly to spend a few coppers on a roasted mutton roll. Normally she'd eat at the temple, but of late she's felt less welcomed by those of her own faith.

I know that I have chosen the right side in this issue, but Gods know I wish there was an easier path. She sighs, then takes another bite of her food. Why can't they see the foulness of reanimation? No soul deserves the torment that must surely be.

She finises her meal before taking a seat on a low wall. Reaching into her haversack, she wills Orshallan's letter to her hand.

What could this task be? She ponders. I pray that whatever it is, it will not adversely affect my reputation in the eyes of my lord Boccob's faithful. I'm in enough trouble as it is...

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
*Sebastian, the streets of the Godswalk are about as crowded as usual. While the daylight services of many churches are done, many more are just beginning. The iron bells of the temple of Wee Jas call the faithful to service, the wooden clappers of Talona's faith echo in the streets, and music from the temples of Milil and Liira sound along the Godswalk. The silver bells from Selune's temple won't sound until moonrise, and the midnight services for Beshaba and Kelemvor will be much later.*

*The temple of Heironeous is massive, carved from granite, decorated with gold, and elegantly carved. It lies near the church of Siamorphe, as the virtues of valor and honor taught by Heironeous' priests are considered good for the nobles to follow. Inside the massive carved pillars are illuminated by hundreds of candles, golden lanterns, and magical lights. The huge golden bolt of Heironeous above the altar seems to glow, seemingly suspended in midair. An acolyte wearing the neatly-cut gold and white robs of his order meets you, hears your request, and brings you to Galdaron Exile. He is known as Heironeous' Commander, and represents the more militant branch of the faith. A powerfully built man in his early forties, sporting a neatly-trimmed beard and moustache, his brown hair tied back in a golden ring, he appears to be more a noble knight than a priest. However, his gold-hilted sword at his side is far from ceremonial, and his gold-plated armor, worn during services, has stopped many blades.*

"Yes Sebastian, I know you're concerned about The High Righteousness' date of return, but I assure you that he is coming. He will be here by Thirday, I pledge you, as I have spoken with him with a spell of sending. He has gone to Celestia in hopes of communing more closely with Heironeous, in order to see more clearly the threat that he has summoned you Champions of Light to vanquish."

*Lyssia, as you make your good-byes to Beauty, Ollia pulls you in for a hug and kiss on the cheek.*

"Of course, dear sister Lyssia. Enjoy the evening. I hear the Dancing Phoenix has a most talented bard there this evening, should you wish fine music and dancing," she suggests brightly, flashing a brilliant smile that illuminates her beauty from within. "Many of our young lovers go there to have a clandestine tryst, particularly on such a fine night. I'm sure I'll be going there later."

*Saint Norrin, you do have to gently brush off two offered bodyguards, but eventually you penetrate the Hollow in search of those in need. Some of the beggars are cantankerous, and refuse to come with you. A few have fresh or old wounds, some are sick, but a few have fallen on truly hard times and are willing to let go of their pride in return for some care. Eventually you manage to carefully carry back about five people, an old and frail woman, a thin halfling boy, a young mother and her baby, and a young human boy with a maimed foot. The conditions in the Hollow seem worse that you remember, surely the stench of sickness was not so strong last time.*

*Darren, Beauty welcomes you to Sune's temple with a loving embrace, calling you brother. You make your prayers at the satin-draped, rose-quartz carved altar, the scent of roses filling your lungs, before going next door to the temple of Liira. The Joy temple is light and airy, hung with suncatchers (or candlelight catchers by this time of the evening), windchimes, and light fabrics that billow in the slightest breeze. Eliquase Even is the High Revelmistress [high priestess] of Lirra's temple, a blonde-haired elven maiden with a lovely voice and a talent for dancing. Dressed in yellow silk, and surrounded by a throng of other acolytes, bards, and worshippers, they occasionally break into an impromptu song during their conversation.*

*Eliquase is happy to see Darren (though she's happy to see almost anyone), and when he mentions going to the Dancing Phoenix she gives a clap of joy.*

"You're in such luck! Brightfire is performing tonight! She just arrived from the south," she says, laughing. Darren, Brightfire is a radiance genasi bard, renown for her incredible voice, beauty, and charming personality. Radiance genasi (those born in a plane of nothing but color and light) are rare and unusual, and Brightfire has cerulean blue skin, deep pink skin, and emerald and gold eyes. A noted performer like her is certain to draw a large crowd.

*Going to the Dancing Phoenix, you notice the sign, augmented by illusion-magic to actually appear as a phoenix performing its mating dance. The common room is huge, and the majority of it is taken up by a dance floor with a stage at the far end. Tables are near the door and along the edges, and you claim one of those. There's a quartet of halflings playing currently, two lutes, a flute, and a drum, with a lively beat. A serving girl brings you a mug of the Phoenix's golden ale within a few heartbeats of sitting down.*

*Nessa, reading over Orshallan's letter, you find no answers contained therein, though your reverie is distracted by a shadow falling over the paper. Looking up you see tall, thin, pox-scarred woman wrapped in purple robes. You recognize her, she's Rekash Plagueborn, the priestess of Talona that gave you venom ward.*

"I've been seeing you out here more often of late, sister," she says, her voice carrying a bitter edge.

Lyssia smiles and returns the hug and kiss. "My thanks m'lady." smiles as she shimmers in form and takes the shape of a half-elf version of herself, clad in fair clothing and bows before leaving.

At the Dancing Pheonix sometime later, Lyssia takes a discrete spot to one side of the stage with a good point of view and orders a light wine (elven if available) and a light meal while she waits for the performance to begin, trying not to think of the note close to her heart. I wonder if this bard is as good as everyone said she would be, the performance seems to have pulled in a crowd of folks as it is.

Lyssia smiles to herself as she sips her wine and relaxes in the booth.

Last edited:

Halivar

First Post
Sebastian thanks Galdaron and leaves the temple. Galdaron is a good man, thinks Sebastian to himself, his only weakness is his failure to put doing "best" above doing "right."

Sebastian steps off of Godswalk for a detour through the back alleys, slowly making his way towards the Imperial Wyvern. He needs privacy to gather his thoughts, and the lonely sound of his own boots on cobblestone is soothing to him.

So now I know at least where he is, thinks Sebastian further, Celestia. The realms of light, and the shining, star-light waters my dearest Miranda, Estefan and Eloise shall never see. Sebastian's mood darkens at the thought of his lost family. He idly fingers Hopestone, the rosey diamond pendant hanging from his neck.

Sebastian passes by the alley behind the Imperial Wyvern, but takes no notice. Once begun, Sebastian cannot halt the tidal wave of memories that flood him. He remembers with detail the day he found his family, after the dark followers of Druvei had turned them into--

Sebastian, now in an unknown alley in an unknown part of the city, stops abruptly and begins weeping. Leaning against the cold bricks with his back, he slumps to the ground with his head buried in his knees, rocking back and forth as his sobs go out into the empty, lonely night.

Barring unforeseen events, he'll probably wake up in the alley in the morning. But this doesn't happen. See below.

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
*Nessa bows her head in greeting to Rekash, both pleased to see a familiar face, and saddened by the reminder of her current troubles.*

"The past few days, I have found the marketplace more comforting than my own quarters in the temple." She sighs again, looking somewhat morose.

"I think the brothers and sisters of my faith do not take kindly to my choice on the undead debate. For that matter, neither does your own church, and I am sure you have little pity to spare for me over that issue. Let us speak of other things. How do you fare at the moment? I hope the Gods views you in more favour than I."

Remove ads