Interest in '50s supernatural noir?

log-a-log

First Post
Uhm not to be rude or anything but would you be interested in running 4 players? I don't know if I have the qualties I am normally a dnd player and haven't played a d20 before but I would really like to. but if you can't fit me in I'll understand.

Candide

First Post
Hmm, I'm unsure of the character I want to play. Too many cool concepts. These were my ideas:
-Detective type
-Gov. Agent, Mulder-type. Used to be a reporter for something like Nat'l Inquirer
-European Artist, fled Paris to NY when Nazi's were taking over
-Former G.I. part of the D-day invasion

I like the idea of having a character believe in these Aliens. What style of gaming do you usually run? I know this isn't DnD, so we can bust down the doors and shoot anything that moves. Atleast not without johnny-law coming after us.

I'll post a character tommorrow, maybe Wednesday

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Candide said:
Hmm, I'm unsure of the character I want to play. Too many cool concepts. These were my ideas:
-Detective type
-Gov. Agent, Mulder-type. Used to be a reporter for something like Nat'l Inquirer
-European Artist, fled Paris to NY when Nazi's were taking over
-Former G.I. part of the D-day invasion

Everyone but the artist would be a snap.

I like the idea of having a character believe in these Aliens.

Sucker ;) Just remember that it may not always help you.

What style of gaming do you usually run? I know this isn't DnD, so we can bust down the doors and shoot anything that moves. Atleast not without johnny-law coming after us.

I always try to include a confrontation with fighting in each chapter (maybe not the intro though). I do want you to be mystery solvers first and foremost, however, and if you don't get to the bottom of things you might not find a target-rich environment.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
log-a-log said:
Uhm not to be rude or anything but would you be interested in running 4 players? I don't know if I have the qualties I am normally a dnd player and haven't played a d20 before but I would really like to. but if you can't fit me in I'll understand.

Feel free to submit a character. Just use the d20 Modern classes and the backgrounds I linked to above. Again, I would prefer folks who already want to run FBI agents.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Well, I think you're full up, but I'll go on the alt-list. Sounds like it might be fun.

Committed Hero said:
I tend to spill over into pulp no matter what I play. But the only sorcerors in LA are Jack Parsons and the rest of his lodge. All the 50's Nazis are in South America - and New Mexico :)
And L*** R*** H***. I've done fairly much reading on the whole Parsons/H***/Crowley deal. I already have an idea for someone attached to CLAMBAKE, so with pre-knowledge of the OTO.

The Shaman

First Post
Special Agent Ricky Garces

Ricardo “Ricky” Garces
Charismatic 3/Negotiator 1

STR 12/+1
DEX 12/+1
CON 12/+1
INT 10/±0
WIS 15/+2
CHA 17/+3 [includes +1 attribute bonus for 4th level]

HP 17

Defense 12 = 10 + 1 [DEX modifier] + 1 [class bonus]
Touch 12 = 10 + 1 [DEX modifier] + 1 [class bonus]
Flat-footed 11 = 10 + 1 [class bonus]

Initiative +1 = 0 [base] + 1 [DEX modifier]

BAB +1
Melee +2 = 1 [BAB] + 1 [STR modifier]
Ranged +2 = 1 [BAB] + 1 [DEX modifier]/+3 <30' = 1 [BAB] + 1 [DEX modifier] + 1 [Point Blank Shot feat]

Fortitude +4 = +3 [base save] + 1 [CON modifier]
Reflex +3 = 2 [base save] + 1 [DEX modifier]
Will +5 = 3 [base save] + 2 [WIS modifier] + 2 [Iron Will feat]

Career 3 = 2 [base] + 1 [Military background – Decorated]
Empathy 1 = 1 [base]

Reputation +3
AP 24
Wealth +6
Allegiances: U.S Government, la familia, la raza

Starting Backgrounds
Urban -
Class skills: Knowledge (streetwise), Bluff
Boy Scout (Survival 3)
Life Experience (Law Enforcement)

Law Enforcement
Personal Firearms Proficiency

Military
Class skills: Knowledge (tactics), Navigate
Advanced Firearms Proficiency
Decorated

University
Class skills: Knowledge (behavioral sciences), Research
University Connection (Contact – Professor)

Skills-
Balance +1, Bluff +11 [7 ranks +3 CHA +1 competence bonus], Climb +1, Concentration +1, Craft (visual art) ±0, Craft (writing) +2 [2 ranks], Craft (other) ±0, Diplomacy +10 [7 ranks +3 CHA], Disguise +3, Drive +1, Escape Artist +1, Forgery ±0, Gamble +2, Gather Information +8 [5 ranks +3 CHA], Hide +1, Intimidate +4 [1 ranks +3 CHA], Investigate ±0, Jump +1, Knowledge (behavioral sciences) +5 [5 ranks], Knowledge (streetwise) +6 [5 ranks +1 competence bonus], Knowledge (tactics) +2 [2 ranks], Listen +2, Move Silently +1, Navigate ±0, Perform (dance) +3, Read/Write Language (English, Spanish), Research +2 [2 ranks], Ride +1, Search ±0, Sense Motive +7 [5 ranks +2 WIS], Speak Language (English, Spanish), Spot +4 (2 ranks +2 WIS), Survival +5 (3 ranks +2 WIS), Swim +1, Treat Injury +1

Feats
Simple Weapons Proficiency [automatic]
Personal Firearms Proficiency [Law Enforcement background]
Advanced Firearms Proficiency (grenade) [Military background]
University Connection (Contact – Professor) [University background]
Point Blank Shot [starting feat]
Double Tap [starting feat]
Iron Will [bonus feat – 2nd level]

Talents
Fast-Talk [Charismatic talent]
Coordinate [Charismatic talent]

Class Abilities
Conceal Motive [Negotiator class ability]

Equipment
Business clothes – gray flannel suit, white shirt, print tie, dark blue fedora (*2)
Overcoat
Raincoat*
Casual clothes – silk shirt, pleated slacks (*3)*
Work clothes – flannel shirt, dungarees*
Work boots*
Wallet – driver’s license, Bureau ID and badge, personal photos
Wristwatch
Briefcase
Penlight
Cigarettes and Zippo lighter
Transistor radio*
Phonograph*
Colt Super Auto (.38 Super) [2d6/20/ballistic/30’/S/8 box +1/Sm/3 lb.]
Box magazines (2 – 8 rounds each)
Ammunition (.38 Super) (box – 25 rounds)*
Pancake (concealed carry) holster
Handcuffs
Sap
Switchblade
Binoculars
Fishing gear – tackle, pole, reel, creel*

*Gear not normally worn or carried

Background Information
Ricardo Garces was born in Santa Fe, New Mexico on May 5, 1926. His parents Eduardo and Rosa ran a diner, “Rosa’s Kitchen,” across from the St. Francis Cathedral – the diner was a popular stop for both travelers and local families, and the Garces were well-known and respected in the community. From a young age both Ricardo and his younger sister Graciela worked in the family business, Ricky as a busboy and Chela as hostess, and both attended the cathedral school just up the street. Despite the lean years of the Depression, the Garces’ diner, if not overly prosperous, provided the family with a steady income.

Through his youth Ricky was a diligent but average student and very popular with both the nuns and the other students. In his early teens Ricky joined a Boy Scout troop and spent weekends hiking through the pine forests of the Sangre de Cristos or fishing from the banks of the Rio Grande – he would eventually earn honors as an Eagle Scout.

In 1941 the United States joined the war raging around the globe. Ricky attempted to enlist in 1942, but his forged birth certificate was discovered and he was sent home to Santa Fe. Ricky would be called up in 1944, however, shortly after graduating high school. He was trained as a combat rifleman and sent to Italy, arriving in time to see action with the 363rd Regiment, 91st Infantry Division on the Gothic Line. PFC Ricardo Garces earned the Silver Star after capturing a German command post single-handed in fighting along the Livergnano Escarpment; he earned a Purple Heart in the same action, and after his recovery in early 1945 he was reassigned to the division military police platoon. Ricky proved to be an able MP – his ability to break up a fight or apprehend a drunk without ever pulling his nightstick or his .45 impressed the major in charge of the unit and earned him a healthy reputation for fairness among the other soldiers in the division. Discharged with the rank of sergeant in 1946, Ricky returned home to Santa Fe.

On returning home Ricky resumed his job at the diner until he could enter the University of New Mexico in 1947. At the university Ricky studied sociology – as before, he was an unremarkable student academically but well-liked by the professors and his fellow students. Ricky graduated in 1951 and immediately applied to the FBI.

Hispanics were few and far between in the overwhelmingly Anglo ranks of the Bureau, but Ricky, an Eagle Scout, a decorated combat rifleman, a sergeant of MPs, and a college graduate with a degree in the humanities, was an exceptional candidate, a fact helped by a letter of recommendation from Dr. Emil Kemencei of UNM and Ricky’s own personality. In fact it was Kemencei who recommended the Bureau to Ricky, and Ricky to the Bureau – the professor had assisted the Albuquerque field office with training its agents in interview techniques and had an excellent reputation with the headquarters in Washington.

After graduating the academy Ricky hoped to be assigned to the Albuquerque field office performing counter-intelligence, but instead he found himself assigned briefly in Miami working on an organized crime task force and then to the Bureau office in Los Angeles, investigating reports of Communists in Hollywood – privately he finds the work in Hollywood a bit tedious, but he devotes himself to the job with his usual diligence and given his tact and aplomb for dealing with notoriously high-strung movie industry people, he is certainly well-suited to the assignment.

Personal Information
Ricky stands a shade over 5’8” tall. His build is lean and fit. His black hair is worn combed straight back. Ricky is handsome, more dashing than “pretty.” He dresses as well as his federal salary allows, gray suits with patterned ties (never flashy), a fedora and overcoat, and comfortable shoes.

His manner is courteous and frank. His disarming smile and pleasant demeanor is the velvet glove covering the iron fist of a determined, ambitious man. Ricky is dedicated to his career, partly out of desire for personal advancement, partly out of pride for his family and his community. He takes his role as a Hispanic man in the Bureau very seriously – the egalitarianism of Ricky’s military service contrasted sharply with the often subtle but sometimes overt racism that he experienced growing up in Santa Fe, and he is determined to break down negative stereotypes by his own success.

Ricky relies on his interpersonal skills more than his Bureau training in performing his duties. He is more likely to canvas for witnesses or track down an informant than to dust for fingerprints or search mug shots. If tact doesn’t obtain the information Ricky needs, a convincing ruse often will, a stratagem he considers perfectly fair in dealing with the criminal element.

Ricky remains close with his family, especially his sister Chela who is married to a physicist at Los Alamos – he looks forward to being an uncle in the not-too-distant future. His social life is active, but he does not have a steady girl – indeed, he is just as likely to spend his evenings at his desk as in a restaurant or at a club. Ricky enjoys Latin music, the traditional songs of his youth as well as popular contemporary Cuban rhythms – he has a modest record collection and he is a regular patron at a couple of dance clubs in the Los Feliz area close to his apartment. Ricky still enjoys the outdoors, and will slip away to the pier in Santa Monica for the occasional fishing trip.

Last edited:

Committed Hero

Adventurer
The Shaman said:
This is the first draft of my character - after working through his backgrounds, I changed direction away from a tough guy to a smoooooove guy...

Ricardo “Ricky” Garces

Rrrico, suave.
Looks great to me - remember he has an FBI-issued sidearm before you buy more.

Couple of things for my benefit-

You can decide who your professor contact is now, or you can surprise me during play. I would just be interested too know what field, etc - that sort of thing. He's basically a plot device if you need one.

Also, tell me what you want out of this game! I have the first few story ideas hashed out, but I want to make sure it remains interesting and you do things that you think are cool. That tends to ease some of the frustrations of a conspiracy-type setting where there's lots of investigation and you may not feel you are progressing anywhere.

Remove ads