A Warping of the Blood

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like thoughts in italics, speach in "quotes," and action between *asterisks.* Out of Character conversation belongs in the OOC thread, but actions that relate directly to your post can be put below. For example

*Kayla headed towards the small village, a bit of fear deep in her stomach.*

Will they welcome me here? I wish I knew...

"Stop! Who goes there?" came a voice. A man stepped out from behind a tree, bow and arrow at the ready.

*Kayla halted and remained still, though her hands itched to reach for her own bow.*

"I am Kayla, a traveler and hunter. I seek passage to Treeroot Tor to sell my skills."

OOC - Diplomacy +5
Ok? You can use colors in your text, but I have to be able to read them. Also, turn off your sigs when posting, and please put your name and race in the title of your posts.

And now, our story begins...

Our Heroes
Erekose 13 - Scinathar, Mojh 3/ Winter Witch 2
Rystil Arden - Vayj Rubyflame, Male Spryte Magister 5
hero4hire - Leondegrance, Male Human Akashic 5
ender wiggen - Ra-Pharod, Male Giant 1/ Greenbond 4
Jolmo - Ke'ch'rhal, Male Dracha 3/ Ritual Warrior 2
RillianPA - Lord Balthazar D’still y Aybara de Silva, Male Quickling Spryte 3/ Unfettered 2

~~~~~~~

*Your group arrives in the town of Jerad as the sun draws night to its zenith. A frontier town of five thousand, mostly human, verrik, and litorian, it draws a great deal of visitors from many regions. Strategically placed at the foot of the Elder Mountains at the pass that leads to the port city of Xavel, many travelers pass through its walls.*

*The place is surrounded by a wall that is half stone and half wood. The stone was is obviously new and the wood wall is quite old. Humans labor to erect another section of the stone wall in front of the wood one, providing the growing city with better protection. The gatehouse must have been the first thing to be erected, because it shows some faint signs of weathering. Seven sibeccai wearing sleeveless red tunics and brass armbands guard the gate. They wear chainmail underneath their tunics and carry kopeshs by their sides. Two of them stand at strict attention on either side of the gate, wearing helms, glaives grounded at their sides. Each guard also has a light crossbow at his waist.*

*Each person arriving is subject to careful search of their packs, wagons, and goods. The guards are unhurried, even though the day is warm for spring. It is Fourthmonth by the common reconning, Ko-Fenas for the giants, Fathereye to the faen, and Coppertail by the draconic calendar. Today is Waterday, the second day of the week, in the second week of the month.*

*You group attracts a lot of attention. Two scaley, two flying, one human, one giant; everyone gives you a wide berth. However, even your strangeness cannot detract from the drama going on at the guardhouse right now. A group of peasants seeking employment as herders is trying to gain entrance. Behind them is a prosperous tradesman leading two laden donkeys. A sibeccai bodyguard stands unobtrusively nearby. You're right behind him and can easily hear all that transpires.*

"Seeking to be herders, eh? Well, there's no shortage of positions, and at fair wages too," one of the guards is saying.

"Want to tell them why there's so many openings? Why so many herders have just gone missing?" the tradesman says in an arrogant voice.

"Not missing, not missing at all. There have been accidents due to falls and wild beasts. This is rough country, and bears and wolves after the winter are always hungry. People have been hurt, but no one's vanished. Whatever gave you that idea?" the guardsman explains, eyeing the tradesman warily.

"Not what my brother told me. Said a pair of vuldrogs set up shop nearby and have been making off with the herders. Just snatch them up with their talons like they're rabbits and take them hope to play with and eat," the tradesman says with ghoulish relish.

"Hold your tongue! That's absolutely ridiculous. There have been no vuldrogs this far down the mountain in twenty years. And we've had no reports of such things that couldn't easily be ontributed to dunkeness or a sleep-addled mind. You people, go in, and pay no mind to his man's ramblings. Trader, to the side! You people, with the giant in your group, you're next," the guard says with heat in his voice.

*The herders scuttle inside, still looking frightened. The trader and his bodyguard move off to the side, the trader still with a smug smile on his face. Your group moves ahead while the guard recovers his dignity and temper.*

"I need to know your names, search your packs, know your business in Jerad, and catelog your weapons," he says when you've assembled.

hero4hire

Explorer
Leondegrance-Human

Oh dear, a guard in a bad mood. Hopefully I can smooth things over.

*Walks up to guard smiling broadly.*

"Yes my good sir. I am Leondegrance, Entrepreneur, and Ancient Excavation Expert. I am here seeking out new business ventures. Now the only thing I hold that may be considered weapons are my excavation tools." *Shows pick and hammer.* "--and my hunting equipment." *Points out bow and handax.* "I am most anxious to find my way to lodgings POSTHASTE. Could you suggest any establishments in town to comfort a road-weary businessman such as myself?"

*Presents open hand with 2 silvers in it.*

OOC: Will use Skill Memory for Diplomacy of +12

Last edited:

Jolmo

First Post
*When the guards look to Ke'ch'rhal, he speaks the words of a ceremonial request for guest rights.*

"I am Ke'ch'rhal, exploring the land as a servant of the dragons. Will my blade side with yours within these walls?"

*He subjects to their search, showing them his possessions.*

"I would look into whether those vuldrogs exists, to whom should I speak about this?"

RillianPA

First Post
Lord Balthazar D’still y Aybara de Silva - Spryte

*As the guards turn to Balthazar, who is sitting on Ra-Pharod's shoulder*

"I am Lord Balthazar D’still y Aybara de Silva, on an important quest with my companion"

*Languid hand wave towards Ra-Pharod's head*

"Here are my weapons, the mighty blade DawnsEdge, and my hunting bow. Will you really find it necessary to seach my pack?"

ooc: Diplomacy +14, Born Leader

Rystil Arden

First Post
Vayj Rubyflame, Spryte Magister

"You may have heard of me before. Jaavin willing, I am Vayj Rubyflame, Grand Magister of the esteemed school of Se-Heton and servant of the twins Gaerkayoth..."

*On the name he flourishes his staff to display the emerald on top*

"...and Vyriea."

"I realise this group here may seem strange, but I am not with these others. I welcome your search of any of my items, but I have tallied their values, and you will be receiving a court injunction from De-Shamod if you try to pocket any of my belongings in so doing. Also, the locket stays on my neck. You can search it, cast an object loresight on it, sic an akashic on it, whatever you please--but it stays where it is."

"As for my reasons for this journey, I seek the esteemed Hu-Charad Greenbond known as Ra-Pharod. I have heard that he has something which is precious to me. As a side effect of my venture here, I have heard some rather dark rumours about this region, and I would do my best to end its plight if such is within my power."

"As a Magister, my only weapon is Ebonfall, the Supreme Sacred Staff of the goddess Paelinae and her beloved lover Gaerkayoth, which you see before you."

ender_wiggin

First Post
"You're looking for..." mutters the giant.

"Ra-Pharod? And why would you look for him?" The giant says. His clothes were nothing more than rags, and the only weapon he had on him was a large studded wooden mace, which he openly handed to the guard with a look that said, 'keep it.'

He could have been the spryte's chauffeur, for all that you could tell.

Rystil Arden

First Post

*Vayj ignores the self-important seeming Spryte and turns to face the humble giant*

"Noble Steward, I seek the esteemed Ra-Pharod because the winds carry whispers of his knowledge of a certain dark evil. I am by no means sure of the truth of these rumours, but were he to have any information for me on this subject that could help me to defeat this evil, I would be indebted to that noble Hu-Charad for the rest of my years..."

*Then he whispers to himself*

"For all these years...I had almost lost hope"

[OOC: DC 15 Listen check hears a whisper]

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
hero4hire said:
Leondegrance-Human

Oh dear, a guard in a bad mood. Hopefully I can smooth things over.

*Walks up to guard smiling broadly.*

"Yes my good sir. I am Leondegrance, Entrepreneur, and Ancient Excavation Expert. My colleagues and I are here seeking out new business ventures. Now the only thing I hold that may be considered weapons are my excavation tools." *Shows pick and hammer.* "--and my hunting equipment." *Points out bow and handaxe.* "We are most anxious to find our way to lodgings POSTHASTE. Could you suggest any establishments in town to comfort road-weary business folk such as ourselves?"

*Presents open hand with 2 silvers in it.*
*The guards examine the weapons, while another writes down Leondegrance's name and purpose. The take a look in his pack, efficiently, but without undue haste. Leondegrance had his thieves' tools well hidden in an inner pocket, so he doesn't have to worry about those. The guards are finally satisfied, and put his things back.*

"Very well. Now, you say you're looking for a businessman's inn?" one guard says, taking Leondegrance's silver. "The Sacred Fork deals with most businessmen and traders, along with the Enchanted Glass. They're right inside the gate."

*With that he'll wave Leondegrance through, stopping each of his "associates" and going through their belongings as well.*

Jolmo said:
*When the guards look to Ke'ch'rhal, he speaks the words of a ceremonial request for guest rights.*

"I am Ke'ch'rhal, exploring the land as a servant of the dragons. Will my blade side with yours within these walls?"

*He subjects to their search, showing them his possessions.*

"I would look into whether those vuldrogs exists, to whom should I speak about this?"

"Aye, my blade will side with yours, if yours been on the side of truth and righteousness," one says with a nod of his head. "Now, there are no vuldrogs, I was very clear on that. However, we are having trouble with beasts, bears and the like. If you're interested in helping with that, go to the Steward's Hall. Tallest building in town, right in the middle."

RillianPA said:
*As the guards turn to Balthazar, who is sitting on Ra-Pharod's shoulder*

"I am Lord Balthazar D’still y Aybara de Silva, on an important quest with my companion"

*Languid hand wave towards Ra-Pharod's head*

"Here are my weapons, the mighty blade DawnsEdge, and my hunting bow. Will you really find it necessary to seach my pack?"
"Have to Lord, orders. The Steward will have the hide of anyone who isn't searched," the guard captain explains as he goes through Balthazar's belongings. Finding nothing untoward, he waves him through.

Rystil Arden said:
"You may have heard of me before. Jaavin willing, I am Vayj Rubyflame, Grand Magister of the esteemed school of Se-Heton and servant of the twins Gaerkayoth..."

*On the name he flourishes his staff to display the emerald on top*

"...and Vyriea."

"I realise this group here may seem strange, but I am not with these others. I welcome your search of any of my items, but I have tallied their values, and you will be receiving a court injunction from De-Shamod if you try to pocket any of my belongings in so doing. Also, the locket stays on my neck. You can search it, cast an object loresight on it, sic an akashic on it, whatever you please--but it stays where it is."

"As for my reasons for this journey, I seek the esteemed Hu-Charad Greenbond known as Ra-Pharod. I have heard that he has something which is precious to me. As a side effect of my venture here, I have heard some rather dark rumours about this region, and I would do my best to end its plight if such is within my power."

"As a Magister, my only weapon is Ebonfall, the Supreme Sacred Staff of the goddess Paelinae and her beloved lover Gaerkayoth, which you see before you."
"Very well then sir Magister, just let me take a look at it... there, nothing to worry about," the guard says, as the other writes down Vayj's elaborate title. After rifling through his belongings, he his waved through. Ra-Pharod carries little of interest, and his examination takes less than a minute before he is waved through as well.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post

*Vayj checks his pockets and pack to make sure that all of his items and equipment are still in place, down to the last gold piece. He's unsure of why a small town like this would frisk those who enter, and while he is reasonably certain that the paranoia stems from the troubles besetting the town, he is not willing to rule out that the guards might like to line their pockets with his belongings.*

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
*Vayj finds all of his belongings and gold intact, down to the last piece. Inside the walls is a frontier town obviously undergoing some changes. Streets that were once only dirt or packed gravel are being replaced with stone, some dilapidated buildings are coming down and new stone buildling being put up. Workers are everywhere, marked by their rust-colored clothing. Sibeccai guards in their red tunics walk the streets to keep the peace. Ahead lies a broad street lined with inns and taverns, leading into a large square, bordered at one side by a very tall building.*

Remove ads