Allowing PCs to be heroic

Rafael Ceurdepyr

First Post
I'm involved in an ongoing quest to improve my adventure design. My mentor, who shall remain nameless, mentioned that I tend to concentrate on PCs flaws and inner workings and don't give them a chance to be heroic.

Leaving aside if/how I fail in that area, my question is: How do you allow your PCs to be heroic? Is it a matter of how the campaign is set up, how the villain is designed, or is it up to the PCs themselves to create heroism? And just what IS heroism, anyhow?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I like it when the PC narrate once in a while. "I jump at him and strike him with my rapier!" Sure, there's supposed to be a Jump check, but it's just color. Let him have it. "Okay, you run at him and jump at him with your rapier extended. He's surprised at how fast you're coming and you get him in the side."

Action points are nice too.

Crothian

First Post
THe Pcs are the ones that have to act herioc. I can run them through a world changing campaign that makes them the stars, but only through wqhat they do and how they behave will the be heros. DMs can incourage the behavior but PCs can be herioc in even the most un hero like campaigns.

diaglo

Adventurer
you offer the PCs the situation.

they act heroic or they don't.

example: a dragon is swooping down on the town. everyone else runs. the PCs... A) join the others and run B) attack the dragon C) call out to the dragon and try and negoiate D) rally the people to turn around and face the dragon E) let a horse loose to maybe distract the dragon F) ... something else...

heroically, some of these will apply. some won't.

BSF

Explorer
Rather than focusing on character flaws, focus on character strengths. Hey, it's sometimes cool to completely rip apart the adversaries without breaking a sweat.

One thing some people get in a habit of doing is constantly reinforcing that the PCs are not the biggest, baddest thing on the planet. It is fine, every once in a while, to let the PCs know that there are dangerous things out there. But to constantly beat them down is counterproductive.

On the opposite side of the scale are the adventures that are always a cakewalk. There is not challenge, no threat, and no tension. There are times when this is also coupled with the linear story that the PCs are the characters of, but seem to just be along for the ride in.

None of these is optimal in my opinion. However, most of us have passed through these phases as we try to learn how to run an excellent game. Hopefully, we don't linger in any of these phases overlong. :)

What I do is I establish NPCs that are more powerful than the PCs at the beginning of the campaign. Some will be a little more powerful, some are quite a bit more powerful. I then let the PCs benchmark against the NPCs they have met. The day the PCs ask for something outside of the NPC's ability, but just within reach of their own, shows where they have advanced.

This gives the PCs the realization that they are doing things others cannot. They may know that somebody out there is more powerful, but not everyone is. As well, they can always improve.

Of course, I also try to use these NPCs to build ties to the game world for the PCs. Mentors, friends and those that need help. They also offer advice and information on what has transpired in the region since the PCs were last there. For the occasional NPC, I also use them as an example of what heroic behavior might look like. The cleric who sacrifices himself to turn aside a great evil, the rogue willing to take death defying risks to get where he needs to be, those sorts of things. I show my players how much fun can be achieved with heroics and then I hope they extrapolate that and show me even more outrageous stunts and heroism.

Give the PCs room to grow. Hit their weaknesses at times, but also play to their strengths. If they got their butts handed to them by a band of bugbears at low level, give them a band of bugbears at higher level. Don't necessarily advance the bugbears! Let the PCs wipe them up quickly. They will relish the way they advanced and improved. Give the PCs opportunity to make the heroic sacrifice, or do the daring deed. If they choose to, reward them with a fine story to tell.

But in the end, you can't make them be heroic. You do need to give them the opportunity, but they have to make that decision themselves.

It's not heroic if there's no chance to fail, it's just flamboyant.

The occasional gimme is nice -- letting them get away with something cool without rolling for it is OK. But there has to be a chance to fail and fail catastrophically. Guaranteed success does not a hero make. Too often (IMO) DM's err too far on the side of the PCs under the guise of 'letting them be heroes'. Play fair, fudge if absolutely necessary, especially if it's your screw-up, but don't ever let them forget that success and ignominy are both within their grasp.

gizmo33

First Post
Rafael Ceurdepyr said:
And just what IS heroism, anyhow?

That's what I want to know. Maybe ask your mentor what it means when it comes to people's PCs in a DnD game. If the PCs have 10 times as many hitpoints as a commoner, I would figure most of what they do is heroic.

What's a PCs "inner workings"?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Rafael Ceurdepyr said:
...How do you allow your PCs to be heroic? Is it a matter of how the campaign is set up, how the villain is designed, or is it up to the PCs themselves to create heroism? And just what IS heroism, anyhow?

I try every few games to have part of a "cake-walk" inserted in part of the adventure - something that lower-level characters would be challenged with, but the PCs at their level will mop up. A hermit besiged by 3 normal orcs for a bunch of 4rd level PCs, a bullying Ogre or two for a bunch of 6th levels, a horde of 2 or 3 hit dice ratmen for level 9, etc. I make it either at or 1 below their challenge rating, and give them a chance to flex their muscles and be heroic and show superiority. I'll also give them rewards like NPCs who remember and thank them months after a rescue. Or, I'll give them something tailored to them, but make it both time-critical and obvious that they can handle it;

--The expert horseman who the nearest one to stop a runaway carriage
--The swordsman who hears the foppish dandy issue a challenge for all comers in a duel to save a lady's honor
--The Wizard who is the only one who notices the missing clue that could solve the riddle

I'll of course give them bone-crushers too - the really tough puzzles or encounters that even they have to sweat to get, but I put in the easier ones too once in a while to remind them how far they've come.

Chaldfont

First Post
Look at the PCs' stats and find out what they are good at. Then design challenges that highlight those abilities. Make some that are easy (they can just take 10 and succeed) and some that are hard (set the DC so high that to get a 50/50 chance they have to buff up with spells and do something to give themselves a circumstance bonus). Especially look for skills or feats the players picked but never get to use.

Remove ads