• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

White Plume Mountain map

Arnwyn

First Post
el-remmen said:
- 5' per box should always be the default in 3E.
No thanks.

I'm glad they don't - I'm not interested in such limitations. The scale should suit the size of the mapped area (since most maps have to fit an 8.5 x 11 page).

kenobi65

First Post
the Jester said:
Just a few subtle references here and there.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. :)

Might just be an "Easter egg" thrown in for us grognards. Sort of like the oblique reference to "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" that's in Celestian's entry in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.

mikeschley

First Post
Map scale note

Arnwyn said:
The scale should suit the size of the mapped area (since most maps have to fit an 8.5 x 11 page).

This is exactly why the map was layed out in a 10 ft grid. Usually we try to stick to 5 ft increments, but since the map was designed to be printed on a single letter sized page, 5 foot squares would have been to small to be legible.

Any specific kudos or brickbats about the cartography in the new WPM map?

BTW, here's a thread about the map I just finished for the revamped 3.5 Tomb of Horrors adventure.

Tomb of Horrors Redux Thread

Mike

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
mikeschley said:
This is exactly why the map was layed out in a 10 ft grid. Usually we try to stick to 5 ft increments, but since the map was designed to be printed on a single letter sized page, 5 foot squares would have been to small to be legible.

Mike

Why not make it two pages that can be lined up? I mean, it is not likely that the PCs would be so split up that having it on two pages would be so inconvenient. . certainly less inconvenient than a 10' scale. . . sorry, pet peeve - then again I wish in my heart of hearts that Dungeon would go back to nice clean easy to read black and white maps.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
kenobi65 said:
Might just be an "Easter egg" thrown in for us grognards. Sort of like the oblique reference to "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" that's in Celestian's entry in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.

Or the referrence to the Barrier Peaks even in the D&D2 movie. :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
mikeschley said:

i suspected that. :)

Remove ads