• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Units of game-design complexity?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Top Ten New Units of Measurement for Game-Design Complexity . . .

10. Wotzies

09. Grits

08. Crunchies

07. Smackums

06. Delvics

05. Questrons

04. Candlewicks

03. Hackenslashes

02. Gygaxes

. . . and the number one New Unit of Measurement for Game-Design Complexity is . . .

01. Killathingentayktheirstuffs

rugbyman

First Post
The time honored way is to name units after the people most associated with their use/development. Especially once they die. :D

But since most of the people associated with RPG development are still alive, name the units after TSR. Afterall, TSR made RPG's widespread and its gone!

"My word, building that dragon was 10 TSR's worth of headache!"

mhensley

First Post
rugbyman said:
The time honored way is to name units after the people most associated with their use/development. Especially once they die. :D

But since most of the people associated with RPG development are still alive, name the units after TSR. Afterall, TSR made RPG's widespread and its gone!

"My word, building that dragon was 10 TSR's worth of headache!"

That sounds good too. Hmmm... TSR = Total Strenuousness Rating?

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Jedi_Solo said:
How about Insanity Ranking [IR]?

I think that has merit, not the name, but the connotations.

How about measuring the mechanic in terms of likely "gotchas".

An ability, like Frightful Presence, that is sufficiently unusual that you might forget would be a Gotcha.

Poor maneuverrability flight has got to be worth at least 2.

Anything that causes an experienced DM to look up a rule has to be a Gotcha.

It is crude. But it is basically counting everything that might reasonably likely cause a DM mistake.

Every single buff that the dragon is likely to cast is a Gotcha, because of the pain in the neck to get the stats right when the Dispel Magic gets casts.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
What, no one's mentioned the THACO? How can you get a better unit than the thing they completely redesigned D"&D to get rid of?

Most rules in 3e are fractional THACOs, but I think AoOs probably represent at least a whole unit. Rolemaster combat is at least 10 THACOs.

Lackhand

First Post
Mark me up as a vote in favor of the THAC0 as the new unit of complexity -- or, for the needlessly acronymic, THAC0 Standard Ranks -- which lets us fit in both unit measures : p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads