• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Units of game-design complexity?

gribble

Explorer
In Dave Noonan's article about designing the GenCon D&D delve (being discussed here), he mentioned that "we need a unit of measurement for game-design complexity".

Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm thinking bugbears (abbreviation "bg") would be good one...
;)

IamTheTest

First Post
Maybe instead of units we could use a scale, much akin to the Moh's Scale of Hardness. For instance, A goblin with a club = 0 hand waves...A flumph cleric/fighter with 12 feats from 10 books that is somehow gargantuan and is attempting libral use of falling damage rules = 8 hand waves.

glass

(he, him)
How about 'Hybrids' (abreviation hb). Of course compared with Hybrid most other games (even Epic-level D&D) would be in milli- or microhybrids.

glass.

Graf

Explorer
Ought to be one word and ideally one syllable.
Bugbears is witty, and thus memorable, but it's actually something that we count...

Economists often use "Joys" (i.e. ten units of happiness = 10 Joys).
It doesn't sound like a normal sentence, it's very obvious what you're talking about, etc.

Complexities would be OK. You probably would want to have something to compare it to.
Ex: For most games this rule adds far more Complexities than it does Joys; it should have been an optional rule.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Easy, you count the number of words that are needed to describe a monster; including the descriptions for all it's spells.

Divide by 100 and call it moles.

A Blink dog is described with 1032 words, including the entries for Blink and Dimension Door. So the blink dog's complexity is 10 moles.

A goblin is described in 443 words giving it a complexity rating of 4 moles.

Someone else can count the words for an ancient red dragon. ;)

glass

(he, him)
Frostmarrow said:
Divide by 100 and call it moles.
If it is in moles, shouldn't you be dividing by Avagadro's number? We'd end up with some very small numbers! :confused:

Anyway, I don't think complexity scales linearly with word count. If it did, we wouldn't need a measure of complexity, we'd already have 'words'.

glass.

Cor Azer

First Post
I don't think you can really assign an objective metric to something that's inherently subjective like complexity (well, game design complexity at least).

If you were to try though, I think you'd have to use a measure of the number of abilities/options/flexibility the rule has, weighed by their length (but not strictly a matter of length) - ie, a colossal skeleton doesn't really have a longer stat block than a small skeleton, but is a bit more complex because of reach.

gribble

Explorer
Cor Azer said:
If you were to try though, I think you'd have to use a measure of the number of abilities/options/flexibility the rule has, weighed by their length (but not strictly a matter of length) - ie, a colossal skeleton doesn't really have a longer stat block than a small skeleton, but is a bit more complex because of reach.

Isn't this essentially agreeing with Frostmarrow's suggestion? I mean, if you fully describe all the rules (including reach, squeezing, etc. that apply to a colossal skeleton but not to a medium one), and include them in the count of words, the colossal skeleton would end up more complex.

I'm still not sure what we'd call this "unit" though...
;)

Cor Azer

First Post
gribble said:
Isn't this essentially agreeing with Frostmarrow's suggestion? I mean, if you fully describe all the rules (including reach, squeezing, etc. that apply to a colossal skeleton but not to a medium one), and include them in the count of words, the colossal skeleton would end up more complex.

I'm still not sure what we'd call this "unit" though...
;)

Well... not really - although it appears as though I misconstrued what Frostmarrow meant. I dind't take Frostmarrow as suggesting we also spell out all the rules for reach, etc., which I think would get far too repetitive.

Another example, the description of Protection From Evil is longer than Lightning Bolt, but the tactical uses of Lightning Bolt are (in my mind) far more complex than Protection From Evil. So, again, length cannot be the sole measure of complexity.

It's not just a case of how many words it takes to describe something, it's also a matter of how easy it is to use that thing.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
How about Insanity Ranking [IR]?

Each seporate portion (spell, feat, special attack, additional book, etc) you need to look up adds one IR.

The higher the IR the more likely you are to resemble a CoC character by the time you've looked everything up.

A low level kobald or goblin would have a low IR. I high level non-dragon monster would have a high IR. A high level dragon would have an IR in the stratosphere.

Remove ads