• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guardsmith's True20 Freeport game -[Recruiting]

Guardsmith

First Post
Hi everybody,

I’m looking for 4-6 PCs for a play-by-post game set in Freeport (by Green Ronin) and using the True20 system with a few house rules thrown in. Anyone interested?

The setting would be late Medieval/early Renaissance with medium to low “magic.” (I say “magic” because, as anyone who has read True20 knows, it doesn’t treat magic in the same way as D&D. Instead supernatural abilities are called Powers, and, IMO, they fall somewhere between traditional spells and psionics. The best analogy I can think of is they are like Jedi abilities from SW, i.e. using the mind to manipulate an unseen power.)

Anyway … I’m new to this (PbP games), so I’m not quite sure what else I should put into an Intro/Recruitment post, but I‘ll answer any questions people might have.

So … any takers? :)

Guardsmith

Last edited:

Phantos

First Post
I am interested but lack the complete t20 rules.
I have read the quick start rules, alas no feats/abilities/etc. are really listed there.

Torillan

First Post
Count me interested. I do have the True20 rulebook and have read it, but I haven't used them yet. This would be a great opportunity for me to try them out. I assume you'll just be using the "core" True20 skills and abilities from the rules.

I'll try to post a character concept soon.

Dracomeander

First Post
I would be interested as well, but I do not have the True20 system.

I do have Green Ronin's Black Company which I've heard True20 is derived from if that would be a help in developing a character.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
i too am interested. i have access to the black company book (belongs t a roomate) and have the freeport stuff. i have played 3.5 ed...how different are the rules ?

*raises a glass of dewar's scotch in salute*

Guardsmith

First Post
Wow! Interested people! :D That's great! I'm so encouraged! Thanks guys!

Anyway ... for those who are interested, but don't have the rules ... unfortunately, I can't think of what you can do without them. True20 and d20 are quite different, and True20 doesn't have an SRD. There is a cheaper ($17.50), PDF version of the True20 rules at GR's site, if that helps.

In answer to Scott's specific question, one difference is there are no hit points or experience points. Damage is determined by a Toughness saving throw. Another is that there are only three classes, or "roles" as the they are called: warrior, expert and adept. It uses Dex for attack bonuses and significantly pares down the skill list. All in all, GR calls it a "rules-lighter" version of d20.

For those who have played in Freeport or own the books, do you have any experience with the Freeport Trilogy (Death in Freeport, Terror in Freeport and Madness in Freeport). If so, that may cause some problems, as that's what I'm planning on running.

I'll post some stuff about character creation later today/tonight when I get a chance ...

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
i have been using free port as an injected city in my homebrew played as 2ed player's ops. i only use it as a source book and lightly at that. is the true 20 sustem simaler to steve jackson games "G.U.R.P.S." (trademark)?

also, what book, if any, can i get at my local game store for a rule book?

Guardsmith

First Post
You got it, Phantos.

GR also has a "True20 Pocket Players Guide " I don't own it but its supposed to have everything a True20 player needs.

Scott, if by "similar to GURPS" you mean that it's a generic system that can be used for any genre then yes, it is similar to GURPS.

Remove ads