Converting monsters from Dungeon Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhaga

First Post
Thanks, Shade. I'm still relatively new to 3.5 (just started DMing in it myself during our most recent gaming session (was in 3.0 for a long time beforehand)) and this is the first I've heard of these "swift actions". :cool:

Now that I know the definition, my comment: should an attack be a swift action? Does that break the rules a bit?

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I read back through the adventure, and no specific sizes given, but it is mentioned that they are the size of a normal ventriloquist's dummy. So we can make them either Tiny or Small.

Since the recommended maximum HD for Tiny is 6, and these guys start at 7 HD, and are the weakest of the dummies in the module, I'd suggest we go with Small. They can still be only 2 feet tall. Thoughts?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
Since the recommended maximum HD for Tiny is 6, and these guys start at 7 HD, and are the weakest of the dummies in the module, I'd suggest we go with Small. They can still be only 2 feet tall. Thoughts?

A very short Small it is, then. :p

Shade

Monster Junkie
Conjurer Puppet
Small Construct
Hit Dice: 7d10+10 (48 hp)
Initiative: +x
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: x (+1 size, +x Dex, +x natural), touch x, flat-footed x
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+x
Attack: Hat +x ranged (special) and/or wand +x ranged? (2d6 electricity)
Full Attack: Hat +x ranged (special) and wand +x ranged? (2d6 electricity)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Hats
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str x, Dex x, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Any land
Organization: Solitary, pair, or gang (3-4)
Challenge Rating: x
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: x
Level Adjustment: -

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
No intelligence? The line "and the puppets are smart enough to know this" seems to imply that they are intelligent, although it could just be instinct.

I would also suggest a higher Charisma (the effects of their hats suggest a Charisma-based saving throw).

Shade

Monster Junkie
GrayLinnorm said:
No intelligence? The line "and the puppets are smart enough to know this" seems to imply that they are intelligent, although it could just be instinct.

I would also suggest a higher Charisma (the effects of their hats suggest a Charisma-based saving throw).

Excellent points. I went with the stock mindless construct stats, but we can definitely grant them an Int and/or higher Cha.

dhaga

First Post
Each puppet can make a second attack per round with its wand, striking for 2-12 hp electrical damage (save vs. spells for half damage). The wands are usable only by the puppets.

"Striking" makes me think of a melee attack, but I don't think that would be good for these little guys, especially due to the ranged nature of the hats. I think the wand attack should be ranged.

I agree that they should have Int, though it need not be very high.
Str 6, Dex 14, Con -, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 14?

Mortis

First Post
dhaga said:
"Striking" makes me think of a melee attack, but I don't think that would be good for these little guys, especially due to the ranged nature of the hats. I think the wand attack should be ranged.
Well, you can be struck by a bolt of lightning so why not?

I agree that they should have Int, though it need not be very high.
Str 6, Dex 14, Con -, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 14?
Looks ok to me

Regards
Mortis

dhaga

First Post
Victim stupefied, doing nothing but quietly stare blankly.
That could probably be changed to "Victim is stupefied, standing quietly, with a blank stare."
We should state if a stupefied victim is considered helpless or not.

Special abilities look good otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads