• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Dungeon Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I swapped out Weapon Focus for Weapon Finesse, as it gave the creature a better boost. :)

I think we've covered everything except the invisibility. Since they turn visible to attack, I suppose natural invisibility doesn't make much sense. How about invisibility as an at will SLA?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think this one is done. I cleaned up the flavor text. Give it another look and let me know if anything is missing or is incorrect.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Conjurer Puppet

AC 5
MV 9"
HD 7+7
hp 40, 30
#AT 2
Dmg 2-12 and special
SA hats
SD immune to mind-affecting spells, electrical attacks, poisons, paralysis, and gas attacks, suprised only on 1 in 12
AL: N

These puppets are made of articulate brass, steel, and wood covered in treated cloth. Each carries a floppy hat and a short wooden wand. The puppets attack by throwing their hats; as soon as one hat is launched, another magically appears in the puppet's hand. Each puppet can use up to six hat attacks per day (one hat per round). The effective range of the hats is 30' (with a -2 penalty to hit at ranges greater than 10').

if a hat is successfully thrown onto a PC's head, roll 1d4 to determine the effect (which lasts for 2-5 rounds): 1, blinded; 2, stare at events in mute stupefaction; 3, collapse in helpless laughter; 4, attack nearest member of own party. In all cases, a save vs. spells applies. If the save is successful, the hat has no effect on the PC and disappears. A hat also disappears at the expiration of the magical effect if the save was unsuccessful. Unaffected PCs may remove hats from afflicted PCs, requiring one full round to do so (no "to hit" roll is needed). If this is done, the effect of the hat dissipates in 1 round, but the hat disappears as it is grabbed. A PC already wearing one such hat cannot be affected by a second, and the puppets are smart enough to know this and direct attacks accordingly.

Each puppet can make a second attack per round with its wand, striking for 2-12 hp electrical damage (save vs. spells for half damage). The wands are usable only by the puppets.

Originally appeared in Dungeon #14 (1988).

Shade

Monster Junkie
I need to look at the adventure again to try to get a definitive size on these fellas.

Shade said:
These puppets are made of articulate brass, steel, and wood covered in treated cloth. Each carries a floppy hat and a short wooden wand. The puppets attack by throwing their hats; as soon as one hat is launched, another magically appears in the puppet's hand. Each puppet can use up to six hat attacks per day (one hat per round). The effective range of the hats is 30' (with a -2 penalty to hit at ranges greater than 10').

if a hat is successfully thrown onto a PC's head, roll 1d4 to determine the effect (which lasts for 2-5 rounds): 1, blinded; 2, stare at events in mute stupefaction; 3, collapse in helpless laughter; 4, attack nearest member of own party. In all cases, a save vs. spells applies. If the save is successful, the hat has no effect on the PC and disappears. A hat also disappears at the expiration of the magical effect if the save was unsuccessful. Unaffected PCs may remove hats from afflicted PCs, requiring one full round to do so (no "to hit" roll is needed). If this is done, the effect of the hat dissipates in 1 round, but the hat disappears as it is grabbed. A PC already wearing one such hat cannot be affected by a second, and the puppets are smart enough to know this and direct attacks accordingly.

Let's see. We have our range (30 feet) and range increment (10 feet).

Swift action to create another hat?

Will save vs. effects?

The effects can be partially modeled off the confusion spell.

Shade said:
Each puppet can make a second attack per round with its wand, striking for 2-12 hp electrical damage (save vs. spells for half damage). The wands are usable only by the puppets.

Hmmm...since it can make an attack with both a hat and wand in a given round, should we make one of them a swift action? Or should we writeup a specific ability allowing a full attack to include both a hat and wand attack?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd say:

Make the hat creation a free action, since it happens immediately. Then make the wand a swift action, maybe.

Will save negates sounds good and the confusion spell also sounds good.

dhaga

First Post
freyar said:
I'd say:

Make the hat creation a free action, since it happens immediately. Then make the wand a swift action, maybe.

Will save negates sounds good and the confusion spell also sounds good.

Sounds good. Only one question: what is a "swift action"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads