Wizard Spellbook confusion

Amurayi

Explorer
A Wizard must switch his daily powers on level 15, 19, 25 and 29 as he
reached his daily power limit.

When you swap can you swap just one power or do you have to swap both?
Or don't get an extra power at all as you don't auqire a new one but simply swap out an old one?
If you swap one power, do you still get 2 powers of the higher level because you gained a new powers.
How does this all work with Expanded Spellbook when you get 3 spells instead of 2?

Last edited:

Thasmodious

First Post
It seems to only work if it's a 3 for 3 replacement (or 2 for 2 without the feat). For example, at 15th level, a non-wizard would know 1 1st, 1 5th, and 1 9th. A regular wizard knows two of each and expanded spellbook gives you three of each. When you replace one at 15th level, you are gaining access to the 15th level dailies. This is when you get new daily spells. Instead of adding a 4th usable daily slot and having too many powerful dailies, you replace (typically) your lowest level set of dailies with 15th level dailies, changing your power makeup from 1st, 5th, and 9th to 5th, 9th, and 15th.

Caliber

Explorer
Hrms. I'd rule they keep all the spells in their spellbook and simply add new ones. Pick among what you got! Maybe I'm just a big softy though. :)

Thasmodious

First Post
He would be able to renew the last daily and utility powers he knew after an extended rest, just as if he only had those to begin with. He would just lose his choice.

Thasmodious

First Post
Also, just got an answer to a question I sent Wizards that answers another question relevant to the character sheet. I asked:

Me said:
Does a multiclassed wizard who takes the utility and daily power swap feats for his other class lose both of the spells (granted by his spellbook) when swapping? For example, a wizard with two lvl 5 dailies in his spellbook takes a lvl 5 fighter daily. Does he give up both of those spells or only one, choosing after each extended rest whether to fill that daily slot with his wizard spell or his martial exploit?

I received:

Joe from Wizards CS said:
When using Power Swap feats, you lose one power and gain one power. You will retain any other powers you know from Expanded Spellbook and the normal Wizard class feature.

So a multiclassed wizard with expanded spellbook who has subbed a martial daily for a wizard daily (say 5th level), would, each day choose to fill his 5th level daily slot with either his martial exploit or one of his two 5th level wizard dailies.

Amurayi

Explorer
Here's WOtC customer support answer:

1. When you swap can you swap just one power or do you have to swap both?

The book does not outline this but following the retraining rules you could swap 1 daily spell of the two. So for example at 15th level you get a chance to retrain a daily attack power and you had Lightning Serpent and Ice Storm in your spell book from your level 9 dailies. You want to swap Ice Storm out for Wall of Fire and could do so at L15. Ice Storm vanishes from your book and Wall of Fire replaces it.

2. When you swap can you swap just one power or do you have to swap both?

It works exactly as I described it above.

3. If you swap one power at the levels mentioned above, do you still get 1 extra (daily or utility) power of the higher level?

You still gain the same spell power usage as listed at L15 - 2 at will / 4 encounter / 3 daily / 4 Utility. Nothing changes and you are not forced to swap if you do not wish to.

4. How does this all work with Expanded Spellbook when you get 3 spells instead of 2?

Again. Nothing changes. Look at the example above:
So for example at 15th level your wizard with Expanded Spellbook gets a chance to retrain a daily attack power and you had Lightning Serpent, Ice Storm, and Mordenkainen's Sword in your spell book from your level 9 dailies (3 spells instead of 2) You want to swap Ice Storm out for Wall of Fire and could do so at L15. Ice Storm vanishes from your book and Wall of Fire replaces it.

5. What happens if you loose your spellbook?

Your DM would have to adjudicate what would happen here. Likely the Wizard would lose their ability to swap spells out with whatever was in their spellbook and any other powers associated with the spellbook until they recovered it. The cost for replacing or reworking a spellbook is up to your DM to determine. However, as it appears you would be "stuck" with your current lineup of daily/utility spells.

6. Do you loose all powers then as a Wizard?

As I mentioned in #5 the DM can determine this but likely what would happen was you would be unable to "swap" daily/utility spells and be "stuck" with the last ones you had prepared for the day until you were able to replace the book. Again, how the DM would run you recovering your book or replacing the spells within is theirs to determine based on the needs of their campaign.

Remove ads