• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Spellbook confusion

Thasmodious

First Post
I can't agree with their first answer. I mean, if that's the case, the wizard's spellbook class feature basically becomes useless at high levels and you're stuck without choice. When you hit 15th level, you don't get your choice anymore, you get 1 15th daily and now have one less than useful 1st level daily. At 19th, you would gain access to only a single new wizard daily, replacing that other 1st likely, but would only have a 1 single 15th lvl daily and a 19th level daily at your disposal.

Waneta

First Post
The first answer is not very clear. "Could" implies that it's a choice, or in other words you also have the choice to swap both powers (or all three with the feat). But that's just an implication and I could be wrong.

Zsig

Explorer
That seems to be the most obvious way to interpret the book. But it just doesn't feel right.

If you look at the Expanded Spellbook feat and use it as stated above, you'll notice that in order for the feat to be effective you have to take it at higher levels, the higher the level you take the feat, the most spells you gain from it, and if you take it before level 15 it'll only give you 3 spells (one level 1 one level 5 and one level 9).

It's just not right.

Thasmodious

First Post
Got an answer from WotC on this.

short version of my question said:
So, does the wizard get two 15th level dailies, per his spellbook class feature, and two lower level dailies disappear from his book?

John K. from WotC responds said:
Let's say we have a wizard who just turns 15th level. He's got his L1 dailies attack powers, his L 5 daily attack powers, his L9 daily attack powers. At level 15 he gets to replace 1 set of those aforementioned daily attack powers with 2 15th level Daily Attack powers (listed on page 164-165). So logic says he'd choose to replace his 1st level daily attack powers with two brand new 15th level attack powers. However, if he wanted he could replace his L5 daily attack or his L9 daily attack powers if he wanted to keep his L1 powers for some reason. For example Sleep is pretty nice.

The 1st Level Daily Attack Spells vanish from his book and are now replaced by the two 15th level spells. His daily attack power lineup now looks like this:

2 Level 5 daily attack powers in his spell book (can choose 1 of the 2 per "extended rest")
2 Level 9 daily powers in his spellbook (can choose 1 of the 2 per "extended rest")
2 Level 15 daily powers in his spellbook (can choose 1 of the 2 per "extended rest")

That makes more sense.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Thasmodious said:
Got an answer from WotC on this.
I love how different guys from the Customer Service give different answers. See here...

Though I like the linked answer the best, as it lets you keep lower level powers if you want.

Cheers, LT.

Thasmodious

First Post
The linked answer and the one I got are the same answer. Both detail that the power swapping that takes place at 15th level is a "package deal". The linked answer just expounds that you could retrain a higher level spell if you wish to have a lower level daily. The link also answers the question of how a lower level power fits in to the power scheme (by grouping it with the level it substituted for).

Amurayi

Explorer
Ok seems the questions have been answered in the official PHB FAQ:

How does retraining and multiclassing work with the spellbook?

If you retrain a daily or utility power you only replace one of your two choices for that level. If you replace the power with a power from a different class through multiclassing you replace both spell choices with the new power.

Can a 5th level wizard memorize two 5th level daily spells instead of a 1st and a 5th level daily spell?

At the end of each long rest, a wizard prepares one 1st-level Daily spell chosen from the list of 1st level daily spells in her spellbook. If she were at least 2nd level, she would also prepare one 2nd-level utility spell chosen from the list of 2nd-level utility spells in her spellbook. At 5th level she would also prepare one 5th-level daily spell from her list of 5th-level daily spells in her spellbook. She would repeat this process for every level that she has access to wizard daily or utility spells. She could not, as a 5th-level wizard, prepare a second 5th-level daily spell in place of a daily spell of a different level.

Remove ads