• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spellbooks for Wizards: Free or 50g?

Zurai

First Post
So, we're having a friendly little discussion in a PbP game about whether Wizards (and Clerics) get free Spell/Ritual books.

The Wizard's Spellbook Class Feature and the Cleric's Ritualist Class Feature both state "You possess a spellbook/ritual book" (respectively). Nowhere else in the PHB is this language used. Both classes also get bonus rituals that are put in their spell/ritual books at 1st level.

There's also the consideration that it is impossible to fully equip a cleric with weapon, armor, adventurer's kit, holy symbol, and ritual book. That costs a minimum of 101 gold.

However, nowhere does it explicitly say that Wizards and Clerics don't have to pay for their books.

Thoughts?

TimeOut

First Post
"You possess a spellbook" is rather clear for me. ;)

It is a wizard class feature that they gain a spellbook upon class selection. So they don't have to pay for it. If they want a seperate ritual book, or another spellbook (for backup or something), they must buy it.

mcrow

Explorer
I don't know, if it says "You possess a spellbook book" that by the laws of language it means you have it in hand. In my game they get it for no cost since the PHB says "you possess".

Family

First Post
"This is an abstraction; your character probably doesn’t walk into a store one day with a bag of coins, unless you just came into an inheritance or won a tournament of some sort. Rather, the items you start with, and any gold you have left over, might come your way as gifts from family, gear used during military service, equipment issued by a patron, or even something you made yourself." -Equipment, pg 210 PHB

So minus that 50 from your 100. I built an eladrin wizard lately and with the spellbook, orb, armor, SAK, and longsword he had 18g left over.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wizard starting rituals are free and I think that part is obvious:

"As you gain levels, you automatically gain access to new rituals, but you can also buy new rituals..."

"...some classes give you free access to a number of rituals. Wizards hold both their spells and their rituals in their spellbooks."

I also think the spellbook is free based on the quotes in your post.

Saitou

First Post
Family said:
"This is an abstraction; your character probably doesn’t walk into a store one day with a bag of coins, unless you just came into an inheritance or won a tournament of some sort. Rather, the items you start with, and any gold you have left over, might come your way as gifts from family, gear used during military service, equipment issued by a patron, or even something you made yourself." -Equipment, pg 210 PHB

So minus that 50 from your 100. I built an eladrin wizard lately and with the spellbook, orb, armor, SAK, and longsword he had 18g left over.
I seriously doubt that was the intention, seeing as how Clerics are assumed to have a Ritual Book, and the recommended armor they wear, Chainmail, costs 40gp, that would leave them with 10gp to buy a weapon, holy symbol and adventuring kit. Not to mention actual ritual components.

EDIT: And talking 'bout the wizard... just buying a spellbook and ritual book would mean he's outta cash. QED

Last edited:

Remove ads