• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spellbooks for Wizards: Free or 50g?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Family said:
"This is an abstraction; your character probably doesn’t walk into a store one day with a bag of coins, unless you just came into an inheritance or won a tournament of some sort. Rather, the items you start with, and any gold you have left over, might come your way as gifts from family, gear used during military service, equipment issued by a patron, or even something you made yourself." -Equipment, pg 210 PHB

So minus that 50 from your 100. I built an eladrin wizard lately and with the spellbook, orb, armor, SAK, and longsword he had 18g left over.

I do not find your quote to be compelling evidence that you must pay for your spellbook. That it's an abstraction, that your character "might" come your way as gifts from family etc. isn't persuasive to me that the class feature of Spellbook gets subtracted.

Family

First Post
Boarstorm said:
You know what this thread needs? A poll!
the_data_so_far.png

Zurai

First Post
Saitou said:
EDIT: And talking 'bout the wizard... just buying a spellbook and ritual book would mean he's outta cash. QED
To be fair, wizards don't need ritual books. Spellbooks can also hold rituals.

Walking Dad

First Post
Family said:
"This is an abstraction; your character probably doesn’t walk into a store one day with a bag of coins, unless you just came into an inheritance or won a tournament of some sort. Rather, the items you start with, and any gold you have left over, might come your way as gifts from family, gear used during military service, equipment issued by a patron, or even something you made yourself." -Equipment, pg 210 PHB

So minus that 50 from your 100. I built an eladrin wizard lately and with the spellbook, orb, armor, SAK, and longsword he had 18g left over.

And why has a text regarding the in-game fluff more weight, than:

"Ritual Casting
You gain the Ritual Caster feat (page 200) as a bonus feat, allowing you to use magical rituals (see Chapter 10). You possess a ritual book, and it contains two rituals you have mastered: the Gentle Repose ritual and
one other 1st-level ritual of your choice." -Classes, pg 61

"Spellbook
You possess a spellbook, a book full of mystic lore in which you store your rituals and your daily and utility spells.
Rituals: Your book contains three 1st-level rituals of your choice that you have mastered.
At 5th level, and again at 11th, 15th, 21st, and 25th level, you master two more rituals of your choice and add them to your spellbook. Any ritual you add must be your level or lower.
Daily and Utility Spells: Your spellbook also holds your daily and utility spells. You begin knowing two daily spells, one of which you can use on any given day." -Classes, pg 158

it even says 'possess' and 'contains'.

And wht if you don't pay your class 'fee'?
Loose your free starting rituals and daily spells?

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
If Wizards don't get a spellbook for free, then what happens to their 3 free starting rituals if they don't buy one? I think it was intended for them to start with a free book. It would be nice if WotC would clarify it for us.

Redclaw

First Post
Walking Dad said:
And wht if you don't pay your class 'fee'?
Loose your free starting rituals and daily spells?
What if my fighter doesn't buy a melee weapon? What if my ranger with ranged attack powers doesn't buy a bow? If you don't want the spells, I guess you can go without, but that seems like a silly choice. ;)

Zurai

First Post
Redclaw said:
What if my fighter doesn't buy a melee weapon? What if my ranger with ranged attack powers doesn't buy a bow?
Improvised weapons. The fighter can pummel a guy with his fists, and the ranger can throw rocks. They aren't as effective as a sword or bow, but you can play either class naked and use all of their class features.

The Wizard in KotS starts with:

* Quarterstaff (5gp)
* Wand (7gp)
* Adventurer's Kit (15gp)
* Spellbook (50gp)
* Gold (23gp)

This adds up to 100gp, which seems to show he had to pay for the Spellbook.

The Cleric starts with:

* Chain Mail (40gp)
* Mace (5gp)
* Crossbow (25gp)
* Bolts (1gp)
* Adventurer's Kit (15gp)
* Gold (10gp)
* Holy Symbol (10gp)

Adds up to 106gp.

No Ritual Book is listed, despite the rules saying that "You possess a ritual book" (presumably because this is an intro character, and they didn't want to have to list all the ritual rules).

So, from this I conclude:

(1) It seems on the face of it that you have to pay for your spellbook or ritual book.
(2) The cleric got 6 extra gold! ;)

Remove ads