Elemental and Shadow Power Sources are here to stay

the Jester

Legend
At least as far as the ones listed in the PH go, ki was the only suspect power source imho.

This does make me wonder what the balance on power sources in future PHs will look like, though!

MrMyth

First Post
I wonder what "proving they're good ideas" means? What's that process look like? Versus just, you know, playtesting stuff.

I don't think this is an issue of playtesting so much as design - is there enough content for them to make full use of the power source? Does the power source have internal themes that can be represented across all the classes? Do those elements stand out as unique from other existing power sources? Are they able to provide the designers with inspiration for clever game ideas, enjoyable mechanics and flavorful themes?

I don't think there is any one 'test' that something could be run through, but I imagine if they work on a power source for a while and either aren't able to come up with anything to distinguish it, or are only able to come up with 1-2 classes that really embody it, or run into other similar issues, they might move on to something more promising.

am181d

Adventurer
The one I'm still skeptical about is "Elemental," especially given how many of the pre-established classes are already drawing on elementally-themed powers.

Dire Bare

Legend
I'd be fine if they dropped elemental and shadow just like they did ki. Or maybe added them as "secondary power sources". Imagine you are a martial rogue who takes a feat or path to gain access to shadow powers. Or a wizard who wishes to draw directly from the Elemental Chaos . . .

alleynbard

First Post
The one I'm still skeptical about is "Elemental," especially given how many of the pre-established classes are already drawing on elementally-themed powers.

I am curious about this as well. With the sorcerer, wizard, and druid, the idea of elemental power *seems* covered. I imagine anything truly of the Elemental power source will have some connection to the primordials or the Tempest. I am interested in seeing how they really differentiate the power source from current elemental offerings. I think they can do it, but I haven't quite figured out how.

Speaking of elemental, I wonder if there is a reason why there isn't a primordial pact for warlocks? Seems like a natural fit.

Obryn

Hero
Ditto. I figured that Elemental got the ax as soon as Sorcerers became Arcane.

I just really can't imagine how it would be unique from the other sources, but I could be wrong.

-O

alleynbard

First Post
I'd be fine if they dropped elemental and shadow just like they did ki. Or maybe added them as "secondary power sources". Imagine you are a martial rogue who takes a feat or path to gain access to shadow powers. Or a wizard who wishes to draw directly from the Elemental Chaos . . .

I like the idea of secondary power sources. Too many primary sources and you sort of water the idea down. But with secondary sources and attendant feats, you could really get some variation between individual characters.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Judging by Mearls's comments, they definitely already have ideas for both power sources. Shadow seems the most obvious and I think its a definite in PHB3 given the teases in the DDI, but I'm sure they have a conceptual framework and story laid out for the Elemental classes. I'm thinking turning/rebuking/controlling elemental creatures, elemental forms, energy attacks, etc.

Remove ads